IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 oil change interval?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-22, 09:53 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Default IS500 oil change interval?

Does anyone know what the recommended oil change interval (by length of time) is for the IS500? I know we need to change it every 5,000 miles, but is that every 6 months or 1 year? I don't drive a lot and planned to put on 5k miles/year, and going in for the oil change once a year. Is this too long to wait? Hoping some IS F, GS F, or RC F owners could also chime in. Thanks!
Old 02-09-22, 09:55 AM
pprj
Driver

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Went to the dealer to have the oil changed at 1K miles.
The service person was surprised:

- You don't need to do that. First oil change is at 10K miles.

After some nice, professional and courteous conversation he said "you know what, I have never seen a car get damaged due to over maintenance. Let's go ahead and change the oil".

With all due respect to my fellow engineers at Lexus/Toyota, it will be hard for you to convince me that changing the oil for the first time at 10k miles is the ideal procedure.
The following 3 users liked this post by pprj:
BrianDCIS (07-25-23), mjdgarage (05-27-22), TaiTN (11-18-23)
Old 02-09-22, 09:57 AM
pprj
Driver

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Manual says 10k miles / 1 year.

I got it changed at 1k miles

And will continue to change every 5 or 6k moving forward.
Old 02-09-22, 10:00 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,185 Likes on 350 Posts

From what I was told every 5,000 miles or 5 months whichever comes first. I believe the 2UR-GSE takes about 9.3 quarts of oil 5W-30 Full Synthetic. I won't hit the 5k mark till summer & when I plan on taking the car to the dealership I will be supplying my own oil either Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Platinum (5W-30 Full Synthetic)
Old 02-09-22, 10:04 AM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pprj
Went to the dealer to have the oil changed at 1K miles.
The service person was surprised:

- You don't need to do that. First oil change is at 10K miles.

After some nice, professional and courteous conversation he said "you know what, I have never seen a car get damaged due to over maintenance. Let's go ahead and change the oil".

With all due respect to my fellow engineers at Lexus/Toyota, it will be hard for you to convince me that changing the oil for the first time at 10k miles is the ideal procedure.
Hopefully the mods don't get too mad, but I noticed the service schedule seems updated from when I initially checked it, according to the Lexus App.

The first week I got the car I checked and the first interval was listed at 5k, which includes oil change.

I just checked again now. There's an entry for 1,000 miles. Looks like a multi-point inspection. Exhaust/CEL preemptive inspection possibly? Curious if anyone else remembers the same or I'm crazy. You can see the schedule if you click the drop down at the top of the app, my garage.

Last edited by zman21; 02-09-22 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-09-22, 10:08 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

I'm not sure where you got that information. The official maintenance schedule (Maintenance Schedules - All Models | Lexus Drivers) says 5,000 miles / 6 months.
Old 02-09-22, 10:10 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by zman21
Hopefully the mods don't get too mad, but I noticed the service schedule seems updated from when I initially checked it, according to the Lexus App.

The first week I got the car I checked and the first interval was listed at 5k, which includes oil change.

I just checked again now. There's an entry for 1,000 miles. Looks like a multi-point inspection. Exhaust/CEL preemptive inspection possibly? Curious if anyone else remembers the same or I'm crazy. You can see the schedule if you click the drop down at the top of the app, my garage.
The 1k mile service has always shown up even on the 350, to the best of my knowledge. But as you said, it is mainly inspections. According to the maintenance schedule from lexus (Maintenance Schedules - All Models | Lexus Drivers) oil changes are every 5k / 6 months which has always been the case with the 2UR
The following users liked this post:
giS (04-06-22)
Old 02-09-22, 10:11 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Looked it up and actually the manual says 5k miles/6 months, and doesnt say anywhere you need to change oil at 1k miles (although it def doesnt hurt that you did). I guess I really just want to know if 5k miles after 1 year, and 10k miles after 2 years is safe for the engine. Also would this void my warranty? Life is really hard/expensive when you don't drive a lot...

Old 02-09-22, 10:15 AM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
The 1k mile service has always shown up even on the 350, to the best of my knowledge. But as you said, it is mainly inspections. According to the maintenance schedule from lexus (Maintenance Schedules - All Models | Lexus Drivers) oil changes are every 5k / 6 months which has always been the case with the 2UR
Interesting OK, I could of sworn it wasn't there the first time I poked around the app. Anyways, I'll definitely be brining it in at 1,000 miles telling them to inspect the exhaust specifically if I don't see the CEL before then. Good use of the first two free services I guess.
giS (04-06-22)
Old 02-09-22, 10:19 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Interesting OK, I could of sworn it wasn't there the first time I poked around the app. Anyways, I'll definitely be brining it in at 1,000 miles telling them to inspect the exhaust specifically if I don't see the CEL before then. Good use of the first two free services I guess.
Well, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Even though the app shows the 1k service, no service department will ever tell you to actually bring it in by then. They swear by the 5k and 10k being your first services. To my understanding, even if you take it in at the 1k, it will not count as one of your free services. However, should you dealer say otherwise, my suggestion to you is to pay for the 1k service so that your 10k which is an oil change and cabin filter change will be free. A 10k, depending on dealer can be anywhere from $140-$200, whereas the 1k inspection truthfully should never exceed $50, if that. In my case in a 350, my 5k services are basically pointless since I change oil at 10k, and I can't rotate my tires at 5k, so my dealer already told me that they don't charge for my 5k inspections. It might be worth asking.
giS (04-06-22)
Old 02-09-22, 10:20 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Now I'm even more confused. Is the 1k and 5k complimentary? Or is 5k and 10k (which both include oil changes)? The former would be kind of a rip-off.

I also made another thread where I'm asking how long the intervals between oil changes can be. Sorry I didn't see these replies earlier.

Well, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Even though the app shows the 1k service, no service department will ever tell you to actually bring it in by then. They swear by the 5k and 10k being your first services. To my understanding, even if you take it in at the 1k, it will not count as one of your free services. However, should you dealer say otherwise, my suggestion to you is to pay for the 1k service so that your 10k which is an oil change and cabin filter change will be free. A 10k, depending on dealer can be anywhere from $140-$200, whereas the 1k inspection truthfully should never exceed $50, if that. In my case in a 350, my 5k services are basically pointless since I change oil at 10k, and I can't rotate my tires at 5k, so my dealer already told me that they don't charge for my 5k inspections. It might be worth asking.
Exactly. So they won't change the oil at 5k? Even on an IS500 and even though the manual says 5000?
Old 02-09-22, 10:28 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by macmaster
Now I'm even more confused. Is the 1k and 5k complimentary? Or is 5k and 10k (which both include oil changes)? The former would be kind of a rip-off.

I also made another thread where I'm asking how long the intervals between oil changes can be. Sorry I didn't see these replies earlier.

Exactly. So they won't change the oil at 5k? Even on an IS500 and even though the manual says 5000?
On the IS500 your free services are:
5k Service
  • A bunch of inspections
  • Oil and filter change
10k Service
  • More inspections
  • Oil and filter change
  • Cabin Filter Change
The 1k service that people see on the app is truthfully not recognized by most dealers. I took my car to JM Lexus for an oil change at 750 miles (I was paying for it out of pocket) and their system didn't even have pricing or anything for the 22s yet so they almost turned me around. They told me I truthfully shouldn't go until my 5K service. Its the same with the IS500. The only thing that differentiates a 350 from a 500 is that the 500 needs oil changes every 5k, versus 10k on the 300 and 350.
Brandonfu (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22, 10:30 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

On the IS500 your free services are:
5k Service
  • A bunch of inspections
  • Oil and filter change
10k Service
  • More inspections
  • Oil and filter change
  • Cabin Filter Change
The 1k service that people see on the app is truthfully not recognized by most dealers. I took my car to JM Lexus for an oil change at 750 miles (I was paying for it out of pocket) and their system didn't even have pricing or anything for the 22s yet so they almost turned my around. They told me I truthfully shouldn't go until my 5K service. Its the same with the IS500. The only thing that differentiates a 350 from a 500 is that the 500 needs oil changes every 5k, versus 10k on the 300 and 350.
Thank you! While you're here (lol) can you tell me if 1 year is too long to wait for the first 5k mile oil change? If it's too long I need to start dailying my car *sigh*.
Old 02-09-22, 10:34 AM
is500le
Pit Crew

Received 140 Likes on 77 Posts

I'll always have to go by the time, so every 6 months. This car will be driven about 3-4k per year. So, who else follows the schedule based on time vs distance?
Old 02-09-22, 10:36 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by macmaster
Thank you! While you're here (lol) can you tell me if 1 year is too long to wait for the first 5k mile oil change? If it's too long I need to start dailying my car *sigh*.
Take my comment with a grain of salt since I don't have a 2UR, but if I were you, even if I don't have 5k miles at 6 months, I'd still take it in for two reasons
  1. Its free. And free is good
  2. It's your first oil change after the break-in period and like others have said, I don't necessarily trust my first oil in a car to last the full amount that the manufacturer claims. But this is a widely debated subject so your mileage may vary.
I would also take it in to the 1 year oil change even if you're not at 10k because once again, its free. After that, I'd say you definitely shouldn't use the oil more than a year regardless of the mileage. However, you should also consider the topic of warranty coverage. I recently read an article where Ram denied an engine replacement under warranty because the person had gone over on an oil change by 20k. Of course, in your case we aren't talking about 20k miles, but it might be something worth considering or mentioning to your service department.
The following 2 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
Brandonfu (02-09-22), macmaster (02-09-22)

Quick Reply: IS500 oil change interval?