IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Buying an IS500, need some advice from experienced buyers

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-22, 11:16 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by is500le
How much over MSRP did you have to pay?
He said no mark up in his original post and <$1k in port-installed options in his last post.
Old 03-07-22, 11:17 AM
is500le
Pit Crew

Received 140 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
He said no mark up in his original post and <$1k in port-installed options in his last post.
Sweet. Sometimes, I feel like the only one that paid over MSRP
Old 03-07-22, 11:28 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

You probably are
The following users liked this post:
Kanpai (03-12-22)
Old 03-07-22, 11:53 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

I didnt know you did. Sorry...
If it makes you feel better I think the MSRP on these cars will go up. They just have to. Pricing was decided sometime last summer (2021) at the latest before inflation really took hold. But even if they don't, you still got a very cool and rare car.
Old 03-07-22, 12:36 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 282 Likes on 141 Posts

I still think that it is ok even if you did. I seen a bunch fly off the lots. So you're definitely not the only one. Someone bought one at thousand oaks Lexus (CA dealer) I had been whittling down the markup. I almost got the sales guy down to 3.5k including all their add ons. But then someone bought it. In hindsight it worked out better because the one I'm going to get is the color I want, Infrared with black interior, and the one at thousand oaks was cloudburst with white
Old 03-07-22, 07:26 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 835 Likes on 405 Posts

One thing that just hapenned to me and that is worth planning, the damn taxes!!

Depending on where you are, you could have to pay taxes in both places. In my case, I had to pay the taxes right to the dealer I bought the car from, then again when I registered the car in my province (at full price this time, the trade-in discount wasn't effective upon registration).
So i'm currently 8k down because of all this. The good thing is I'll get to see that money back someday as the government can issue refunds in cases like this, but still, that's something to be taken into account. Good thing I had the 8k lying around.
Old 03-07-22, 07:31 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Answer

Depending on where you are, you could have to pay taxes in both places. In my case, I had to pay the taxes right to the dealer I bought the car from, then again when I registered the car in my province (at full price this time, the trade-in discount wasn't effective upon registration).
So i'm currently 8k down because of all this. The good thing is I'll get to see that money back someday as the government can issue refunds in cases like this, but still, that's something to be taken into account. Good thing I had the 8k lying around.
That doesn't happen in the United States of America.
Old 03-07-22, 08:21 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Answer

From what I read for California, I would only have to pay if I paid less in taxes than what I would have payed where I live. So if I can prove I paid the same, which it should be, I won't have to double pay.
Old 03-07-22, 09:12 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Renault
From what I read for California, I would only have to pay if I paid less in taxes than what I would have payed where I live. So if I can prove I paid the same, which it should be, I won't have to double pay.
You pay the taxes for wherever the car will be registered. That's it. Dealership handles all the paperwork and calculates the tax accordingly.
Old 03-07-22, 10:18 PM
V8ISGreat
Rookie

Received 112 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
You don't sign anything before you make the trip. You have to trust their word.
Ha ha, you must be joking, right? I’m glad things worked out for you, but I would never give a car dealer this kind of edge in a negotiation. And I am sure as hell not going to travel 400 miles so they can screw me even more. The dealer is already sticking him for a grand in addons—going against their original promise to stay at MSRP in his first post. What other shenanigans are they going to pull once he gets there?
What dealer gives a customer an “invoice”? If they are showing him the manufacturer’s invoice that doesn’t mean anything

Old 03-07-22, 10:40 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by V8ISGreat
Ha ha, you must be joking, right? I’m glad things worked out for you, but I would never give a car dealer this kind of edge in a negotiation. And I am sure as hell not going to travel 400 miles so they can screw me even more. The dealer is already sticking him for a grand in addons—going against their original promise to stay at MSRP in his first post. What other shenanigans are they going to pull once he gets there?
What dealer gives a customer an “invoice”? If they are showing him the manufacturer’s invoice that doesn’t mean anything
Not joking. There simply isn't anything to sign. You'll do all that in person. The dealer will give you a copy of this (below) beforehand which is basically finalized pricing +/- a few $ if they havent calculated tax correctly. If you don't trust them, you can cancel the deal and they'll simply sell it to someone else. But the further you go along with them, the more they're trusting you to follow through on the purchase. It's a two-way street.

Old 03-07-22, 11:12 PM
Renault
Intermediate

That form that you posted Mac, that's what they gave me signed by the manager. Illuminated sills and all weather mats... to me is acceptable. I haven't seen anything better that I'd be able to get anytime soon especially in the exact color combination that I want. I will believe that the dealership is acting in good faith. If I do get screwed, I'll let you all know, but I'm pretty sure all will work out. I appreciate all of your input and I don't want it to be a point of contention. It's my choice to take this risk for a car I've been dreaming of getting since it's announcement, if anything happens I'll only have myself to blame. I appreciate your concern V8 as it comes from a good place, no one wants to see someone else get screwed.
V8ISGreat (03-08-22)
Old 03-08-22, 07:19 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Renault
That form that you posted Mac, that's what they gave me signed by the manager. Illuminated sills and all weather mats... to me is acceptable. I haven't seen anything better that I'd be able to get anytime soon especially in the exact color combination that I want. I will believe that the dealership is acting in good faith. If I do get screwed, I'll let you all know, but I'm pretty sure all will work out. I appreciate all of your input and I don't want it to be a point of contention. It's my choice to take this risk for a car I've been dreaming of getting since it's announcement, if anything happens I'll only have myself to blame. I appreciate your concern V8 as it comes from a good place, no one wants to see someone else get screwed.
Awesome. I have full confidence it'll work out for you.
Old 03-08-22, 08:55 AM
Unable
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Paid 5k over for a LE and have no regrets
V8ISGreat (03-08-22)
Old 03-08-22, 10:24 AM
is500le
Pit Crew

Received 140 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Unable
Paid 5k over for a LE and have no regrets

Thanks for your honesty!

I was ok with it at day of delivery and ok with it today. Only $4,000. I could've had one shipped at MSRP + 1-2k shipping expense like others have done, but for me, being able to buy "local" (165 miles) and experience, the "experience" was important. Also, I got to direct exactly how the car was to be delivered from the truck. No one drove it (other than mechanic 2.3 miles).
Attached Thumbnails Buying an IS500, need some advice from experienced buyers-is500-on-truck.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by is500le:
giS (03-08-22), V8ISGreat (03-08-22), wthrman2 (03-08-22)

Quick Reply: Buying an IS500, need some advice from experienced buyers