IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Buying an IS500, need some advice from experienced buyers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-22, 12:48 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 282 Likes on 141 Posts

This week is moving extremely slowly and work has decided to get busier just to spite me. Can't wait until I get my car, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. I think I've watched every IS 500 video on you tube at least 30 times.
The following 4 users liked this post by Renault:
giS (03-08-22), is500le (03-08-22), threeputt (03-08-22), wthrman2 (03-08-22)
Old 03-08-22, 04:44 PM
topdunn
Rookie

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by renault
this week is moving extremely slowly and work has decided to get busier just to spite me. Can't wait until i get my car, i feel like a kid waiting for christmas. I think i've watched every is 500 video on you tube at least 30 times.
this!
Me too.
The following users liked this post:
giS (03-08-22)
Old 03-08-22, 06:54 PM
V8ISGreat
Rookie

Received 112 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Not joking. There simply isn't anything to sign. You'll do all that in person. The dealer will give you a copy of this (below) beforehand which is basically finalized pricing +/- a few $ if they havent calculated tax correctly. If you don't trust them, you can cancel the deal and they'll simply sell it to someone else. But the further you go along with them, the more they're trusting you to follow through on the purchase. It's a two-way street.

The entire out of state transaction for a car purchase can be done via FedEx, I know because I’ve done it. I am not saying you should be worried about signing anything, what I am saying is without a Buyer’s Order/Sales Contract signed by the Sales Manager/GM or whoever is in authority at the dealership, you do not have a Binding Contract for the price of the car. This document you posted on the public Internet says “For Internal Use Only”. Well that is kind of funny, since Renault said he received the same document as well. So I guess Lexus is in the business of providing so-called “Internal Documents” to potential customers that in no way bind them to the “Market Value Selling Price” of the car—whatever the hell that means. Notice there is no mention of MSRP, destination charge, options, Addons or Markup. This is just a starting point for them in their quest to extract the maximum amount of money from a (self-admitted) emotional buyer that just traveled 400 miles to pick up his dream car. Case in point—@Renault

Old 03-08-22, 07:04 PM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by V8ISGreat
The entire out of state transaction for a car purchase can be done via FedEx, I know because I’ve done it. I am not saying you should be worried about signing anything, what I am saying is without a Buyer’s Order/Sales Contract signed by the Sales Manager/GM or whoever is in authority at the dealership, you do not have a Binding Contract for the price of the car. This document you posted on the public Internet says “For Internal Use Only”. Well that is kind of funny, since Renault said he received the same document as well. So I guess Lexus is in the business of providing so-called “Internal Documents” to potential customers that in no way bind them to the “Market Value Selling Price” of the car—whatever the hell that means. Notice there is no mention of MSRP, destination charge, options, Addons or Markup. This is just a starting point for them in their quest to extract the maximum amount of money from a (self-admitted) emotional buyer that just traveled 400 miles to pick up his dream car. Case in point—@Renault
I did my entire purchase through FedEx with a notary, so I can vouch for this too. The dealer even paid for all the overnight shipping.

The contract was a legally binding FL sales agreement. Some dealers do a better job than others. I was pretty clear early on that I wanted to do the deal remote and that I specifically got a lead from someone who recommended the dealer. Sales manager then catered to my every need to keep the word of mouth going. 10/10 would do business again.

I wouldn't shy away from it if the dealer has a good rep.

Edit: I would add the registration/title transfer sucked. I waited 6 weeks for mine. But finally got it.

Last edited by zman21; 03-08-22 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-08-22, 07:28 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

There comes a point in time where you have to go with your gut and take a leap of faith. I know I didn't have a legally binding contract, but maybe they couldn't do that in order to protect themselves. What if they gave me a legally binding contract and I never stepped on the airplane? Then they sent their porter an hour to the airport to get me and I never showed? Then I call them 6 months later and say "I wanna buy the car now! We had a contract!" That's not fair either.

Of course deals can be done remotely, but from the onset I told them I was going to come to pick the car up, so that's how we proceeded with the paperwork, or lack thereof. I showed you my texts. He sensed my unease and explicitly said "I promise the numbers won't change." What kind of jerk would blatantly lie?

Title and registration took them less than a week to complete. Their title department started it the same day I drove home from their dealership. The only miscue was that they told me they'd send me the plates (that I didnt have to go anywhere or do anything), but I actually had to get a smog check (CA law for buying a new car out of state), and then I had to go to the DMV myself to pick up my plates. All my paperwork was right there directly sent from the dealership as they promised.

I don't think it's worth it to scare Renault anymore. There are good salespeople out there.
giS (03-09-22)
Old 03-08-22, 07:31 PM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

There comes a point in time where you have to go with your gut and take a leap of faith. I know I didn't have a legally binding contract, but maybe they couldn't do that in order to protect themselves. What if they gave me a legally binding contract and I never stepped on the airplane? Then they sent their porter an hour to the airport to get me and I never showed? Then I call them 6 months later and say "I wanna buy the car now! We had a contract!" That's not fair either.

Of course deals can be done remotely, but from the onset I told them I was going to come to pick the car up, so that's how we proceeded with the paperwork, or lack thereof. I showed you my texts. He sensed my unease and explicitly said "I promise the numbers won't change." What kind of jerk would blatantly lie?

Title and registration took them less than a week to complete. Their title department started it the same day I drove home from their dealership. The only miscue was that they told me they'd send me the plates (that I didnt have to go anywhere or do anything), but I actually had to get a smog check (CA law for buying a new car out of state), and then I had to go to the DMV myself to pick up my plates. All my paperwork was right there directly sent from the dealership as they promised.

I don't think it's worth it to scare Renault anymore. There are good salespeople out there.
Ya I agree. I say go for it.
Old 03-11-22, 09:20 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Follow up, was able to find a way to take Friday off work. Flew out Thursday evening and got a cheap hotel. They picked me up Friday in the morning; everything went great. MSRP plus the couple of port installed options. Didn't get screwed, the people at Lexus Tucson on Speedway are super down to earth people compared to the CA Lexus dealers. Paid, ate brunch, and was on my way. Spent a good ~480 miles with the car driving from Tucson AZ back to Orange County CA. Was pleasantly surprised that driving in Eco Mode, i made 27.7 MPG on a ~480 mile trip. Would have made 28 easy if there wasn't traffic in Phoenix and the 60/91 in CA. Now I'm home and happy as a clam. In the almost 500 miles I spent with it I really did find that this car is everything I wanted. A comfortable, spirited, daily drive able car. Can't wait until I finish the break in period so I can push it a bit!
AJinDFW (03-11-22)
Old 03-11-22, 09:34 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by Renault
Follow up, was able to find a way to take Friday off work. Flew out Thursday evening and got a cheap hotel. They picked me up Friday in the morning; everything went great. MSRP plus the couple of port installed options. Didn't get screwed, the people at Lexus Tucson on Speedway are super down to earth people compared to the CA Lexus dealers. Paid, ate brunch, and was on my way. Spent a good ~480 miles with the car driving from Tucson AZ back to Orange County CA. Was pleasantly surprised that driving in Eco Mode, i made 27.7 MPG on a ~480 mile trip. Would have made 28 easy if there wasn't traffic in Phoenix and the 60/91 in CA. Now I'm home and happy as a clam. In the almost 500 miles I spent with it I really did find that this car is everything I wanted. A comfortable, spirited, daily drive able car. Can't wait until I finish the break in period so I can push it a bit!
awesome! I knew it would work out! I also got 27mpg driving from New Mexico. Did you have to go through some of those Indian reservations with 1 lane highways. I found them to be super dangerous, can’t imagine them at night. Personally I never want to do it again lol.

No CEL yet? I’m shocked haha. Good for you. Let’s see some pics!

Last edited by macmaster; 03-11-22 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-11-22, 09:44 PM
Renault
Intermediate

awesome! I knew it would work out! I also got 27mpg driving from New Mexico. Did you have to go through some of those Indian reservations with 1 lane highways. I found them to be super dangerous, can’t imagine them at night. Personally I never want to do it again lol.

I Arrived home fairly late and its dark. I'll carefully clean the bugs off and get some pictures in the sun tomorrow. And luckily I drove the 10 almost all the way so no Indian reservation. 2 lane the majority of the way.
Old 03-12-22, 05:11 AM
Answer
Instructor

Received 835 Likes on 405 Posts

Congrats!!
Drove mine 300km yesterday, it's an awesome highway cruiser! Also can't wait to have a bit more miles on it and push it.
The drive back wasn't pleasing though as I got caught in a bad snow storm that started earlier than it was planned to, I must admit that I didn't really loved that part, good thing I had brand new winter tires on the car, even with those, it was still slippery as hell.
giS (03-14-22)
Old 03-12-22, 09:21 AM
Renault
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Answer
Congrats!!
Drove mine 300km yesterday, it's an awesome highway cruiser! Also can't wait to have a bit more miles on it and push it.
The drive back wasn't pleasing though as I got caught in a bad snow storm that started earlier than it was planned to, I must admit that I didn't really loved that part, good thing I had brand new winter tires on the car, even with those, it was still slippery as hell.
Glad you are safe though. I have never driven in icy conditions as a So Cal resident. Hope it warms up for you so you can have some pleasant cruising.
Old 03-12-22, 04:23 PM
Renault
Intermediate

I'll take some better pics after I get it PPF and Coated next weekend.
The following 4 users liked this post by Renault:
Answer (03-12-22), dj5 (03-13-22), GoHorns (03-14-22), macmaster (03-12-22)
Old 03-13-22, 08:00 AM
dj5
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Renault

I'll take some better pics after I get it PPF and Coated next weekend.
IMHO, this is the best color combo for the IS500 and one which I have been looking for in the SE. Found one in Florida but they won't see to out of state buyers.
is500le (03-14-22)