IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-22, 02:39 PM
tapjoy
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Renault
Just out of curiosity, I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to car modification, would it be possible to have the stock exhaust tips on the Apexi system?
I emailed them about that and they said they could not do that. Maybe after a while, if they change up stuff but as of now, nope.
Old 06-14-22, 11:40 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 282 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Fman2118
I don’t believe you can. Why would do want to do that?
I actually really like the way the stock tips look, it's really classy imo. Maybe I should just get a mid pipe if I want a little more sound without being too loud and keeping a stock look.
The following users liked this post:
Carolina50 (06-15-22)
Old 06-15-22, 07:14 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 213 Posts

I actually really like the way the stock tips look, it's really classy imo. Maybe I should just get a mid pipe if I want a little more sound without being too loud and keeping a stock look.
i've considered this option as well. i like apexi products, but am not a huge fan of the exhaust ends. i thought about getting single outlet (like the is350) system, but thought, nah...haha. i'm afraid that after market parts are going to be very scarce like the cars themselves.
Carolina50 (06-15-22)
Old 06-15-22, 09:58 PM
Fman2118
Pit Crew

Received 317 Likes on 123 Posts

I know there’s someone on here that’s done the APEXi mid pipes with the stock axle back and it sounded really good.
Carolina50 (06-16-22)
Old 06-16-22, 06:48 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

I know there’s someone on here that’s done the APEXi mid pipes with the stock axle back and it sounded really good.
I wonder if anyone would actually catch that on a visual inspection... if they're slightly careless/hot/in a hurry they might not even notice it has been changed.
Old 06-16-22, 07:25 AM
Fman2118
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 95bat
I wonder if anyone would actually catch that on a visual inspection... if they're slightly careless/hot/in a hurry they might not even notice it has been changed.
I wouldn’t worry about it. As an example: I’m in CA and new cars aren’t tested for 8 model years. It’s not difficult to put the mid pipe back in before emissions checks of you’re worried. I have my stock exhaust in the attic to put back on if necessary in 2030.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fman2118:
GeoFSPORT (06-16-22), phoenix888 (06-23-22)
Old 06-16-22, 07:34 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 692 Likes on 609 Posts

We have Apexi axle backs in stock for anyone interested.
GTHAUS axle backs and midpipes as well.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-16-22, 10:36 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Did he or she post a clip cause I haven't heard that yet.
Old 06-17-22, 07:01 AM
cp2
Racer

i love modding cars because it helps in making them quasi unique. for example, changing rims or a kit for aesthetics. but i also like adding things that are functional as well like adding tint, intake and exhaust. with that being said, will changing the midpipe alone do anything other than change the tone of the exhaust? seeing the dynos and reading about the "crushed" section of the axle back, it doesn't seem like changing the midpipe would add any power or torque. changing out for cat back shows more hp and minimal tq (maybe loss due to lack of back pressure). just curious. feedback would be appreciated.
Carolina50 (06-17-22)
Old 06-17-22, 08:10 AM
Fman2118
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cp2
i love modding cars because it helps in making them quasi unique. for example, changing rims or a kit for aesthetics. but i also like adding things that are functional as well like adding tint, intake and exhaust. with that being said, will changing the midpipe alone do anything other than change the tone of the exhaust? seeing the dynos and reading about the "crushed" section of the axle back, it doesn't seem like changing the midpipe would add any power or torque. changing out for cat back shows more hp and minimal tq (maybe loss due to lack of back pressure). just curious. feedback would be appreciated.
There are no secondary cats and no resonators or less restrictive resonators on aftermarket mid pipes. (APEXi) In every other application I’ve ever seen, this results in more power and better performance. I don’t see why it wouldn’t do the same in these cars as well.
Old 06-17-22, 08:16 AM
hotct
Pit Crew

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
We have Apexi axle backs in stock for anyone interested.
GTHAUS axle backs and midpipes as well.

-Josh
Your drop-down box doesn't have IS500, hard to find the products for it
Old 06-17-22, 10:06 AM
cp2
Racer

There are no secondary cats and no resonators or less restrictive resonators on aftermarket mid pipes. (APEXi) In every other application I’ve ever seen, this results in more power and better performance. I don’t see why it wouldn’t do the same in these cars as well.
the exhaust air will pass through the midpipe smoothly but will go back to the crushed sections of the oem axle back. i'm not sure if the diameter of the oem axle back is smaller, but if they are causing some restriction on the way out. in theory, this may result more back pressure and maybe more tq?
Old 06-17-22, 10:19 AM
Fman2118
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cp2
the exhaust air will pass through the midpipe smoothly but will go back to the crushed sections of the oem axle back. i'm not sure if the diameter of the oem axle back is smaller, but if they are causing some restriction on the way out. in theory, this may result more back pressure and maybe more tq?
Don’t confuse back pressure with scavenging.

It is a widely spread myth that some back pressure on the exhaust is good, however this is the wrong conclusion of experimentation. Back pressure on an exhaust does not increase performance for naturally aspirated (NA) or turbo applications. There are situations where smaller diameter pipes can outperform larger diameter pipes, but this is not because of back pressure. Instead this is due to scavenging, which, when properly tuned, can actually reduce the back pressure as seen by the engine further
Old 06-17-22, 10:24 AM
cp2
Racer

Don’t confuse back pressure with scavenging.

It is a widely spread myth that some back pressure on the exhaust is good, however this is the wrong conclusion of experimentation. Back pressure on an exhaust does not increase performance for naturally aspirated (NA) or turbo applications. There are situations where smaller diameter pipes can outperform larger diameter pipes, but this is not because of back pressure. Instead this is due to scavenging, which, when properly tuned, can actually reduce the back pressure as seen by the engine further
thank you, this is the type of information that i was looking for! but to go back to what you just said, does this car have to be properly tuned to gain anything from just the midpipe?
Old 06-17-22, 10:49 AM
Fman2118
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by cp2
thank you, this is the type of information that i was looking for! but to go back to what you just said, does this car have to be properly tuned to gain anything from just the midpipe?
i can’t tell you how much benefit is received from a mid pipe, but it will flow better because there’s less resistance. Tuning can always help.

Quick Reply: IS 500 aftermarket exhausts