IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-23, 09:08 AM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 775 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by MYIS500
This. I am thinking of keeping the stock exhaust and doing the cutouts I located. I can control how much the valve opens from none to wide open. Stopped by an exhaust shop who does performance exhaust. He said placement is going to be the key. The size of the cutouts limits where they can go and not protrude below the cars clearance specs and where they do not interfere with the body or other chassis components. Basically he said, buy them and we will see if we can find a place for them because just because you find a place where they can fit does not mean that is where they should go. I am thinking hard about taking the chance. The cutouts are very high quality and a lot cheaper at $500.00. Have to think hard about it. The GThaus and Bazooka are very very nice. Basically they are performance mufflers with built in cutouts with set parameters. The plus is I keep my nice stock mufflers and tail pipes. Have to think about it hard, really hard.

Lot of YouTube videos of Dodge V8s getting electric cutouts and immediately having ground clearance issues, but what you've found looks to be a lot more compact than what they were using. Interested to hear how it pans out ... might have to get a pair cut into my incoming midpipe.
Old 02-18-23, 11:54 PM
rommeeeezy
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
just watched this. Interested @V8Brah … any notes in addition to the video. Felt like in the drive back I was noticing some deep bass notes while cruising (some may characterize as drone), but obviously way too hard to tell from bad microphones in the recording.

I just went and chopped the resonators off, and I can confirm for everyone, the car might as well came like this. It’s still pretty damn quiet in the cabin, barely any minute audible differences, and it sounds a little more opened up when you really rev it out from the outside standing or recording behind the car, but in the cabin it’s still all induction noise.

seeking a little more volume, so wondering if a mid pipe is in my future, or if there’s a true cat or axle back option that’ll liven up the volume without drone.

Old 02-19-23, 07:40 AM
SynZero
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...I really like what I'm seeing here, the build quality looks excellent and there aren't any valves to worry about plus it's catted (though RR has this option as well). It's a really mellow tone, I finally listened to the vide through some headphones and it definitely has a nice V8 sound...thought not as in your face as some other options. I'm wondering what it'll sound like w/headers as well.
Old 02-19-23, 10:46 AM
V8Brah
10th Gear

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

@AmbyBomb TY for the post! @rommeeeezy You have pretty good ears! There were deeper notes driving home which is why I kept saying it sounded louder, but it wasn't piercing my ears like drone normally does. I've driven 200 miles now and the cabin almost sounds stock now. Either carbon build-up has muffled the sound or I've acclimated to it completely. Thanks for the support everyone. I'm loving this car so much more now. Between the Swift Springs and ARK exhaust I get more excited to drive it than ever before.

The following users liked this post:
gcmak (02-26-23)
Old 02-19-23, 07:48 PM
rommeeeezy
10th Gear

Originally Posted by V8Brah
@AmbyBomb TY for the post! @rommeeeezy You have pretty good ears! There were deeper notes driving home which is why I kept saying it sounded louder, but it wasn't piercing my ears like drone normally does. I've driven 200 miles now and the cabin almost sounds stock now. Either carbon build-up has muffled the sound or I've acclimated to it completely. Thanks for the support everyone. I'm loving this car so much more now. Between the Swift Springs and ARK exhaust I get more excited to drive it than ever before.
ahh that’s interesting about the carbon buildup. it’s probably a little of both. I’m acclimated to a little bit of mild “hum” coming from a sports car at cruising speeds.

would love some more videos of it now that it has broken in a bit more. Some WOT inside the cabin.
Old 02-19-23, 08:24 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 213 Posts

@V8Brah Congrats on the new mod! definitely a nice looking and sounding exhaust! Did they have a price point for it yet?
jororo (02-20-23)
Old 02-21-23, 07:53 AM
rommeeeezy
10th Gear

Anyone with experience just doing the GTHaus Axleback with the stock midpipe? I'm trying to see if just getting the muffler section is going to get to the volume that I want without it sounding insane all the time.
Old 02-21-23, 08:19 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

Yes lot of people have done just that, you should find a lot of people in this thread.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
arentz07 (02-21-23)
Old 02-22-23, 04:47 PM
tapjoy
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rommeeeezy
Anyone with experience just doing the GTHaus Axleback with the stock midpipe? I'm trying to see if just getting the muffler section is going to get to the volume that I want without it sounding insane all the time.
I got just the axleback. It sounds very very nice without being too obnoxiously loud. Here’s some sound clips I did that have some stock/modded with decibel reader.

arentz07 (02-22-23)
Old 02-24-23, 06:15 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 839 Likes on 405 Posts

On the edge about trying out an RCF axleback on the 500. With what I've seen on the other thread, it should fit without any mods. Just unsure about paying almost 2k to be the guinea pig! lol!
Old 02-26-23, 10:56 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 922 Likes on 425 Posts

Any ideas if the Ark exhaust will work with other midpipes?
Old 02-27-23, 09:30 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

Any ideas if the Ark exhaust will work with other midpipes?
Technically it should. They only sell full catback though.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-27-23, 09:58 AM
rommeeeezy
10th Gear

Anyone with technical knowledge of the GTHaus Musa Valved exhaust system know if the vacuum line absolutely needs to be hooked up? I feel like that's a big red flag for any Lexus techs searching in the engine bay should there be any type of warranty work that is required. I think that's really the biggest thing holding me back from purchasing just the axleback system as I think with the stock center section, it'll be the appropriate volume for what I'm looking for.

Is the vacuum line required to hookup? or Can the valves work just off of electrical inputs?
Old 02-27-23, 11:32 AM
mleroux
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Answer
On the edge about trying out an RCF axleback on the 500. With what I've seen on the other thread, it should fit without any mods. Just unsure about paying almost 2k to be the guinea pig! lol!
My recommendation is to be patient. I reached out to Invidia and they said an axel-back system is likely coming for the IS500. No cat-back option as this would tamper with the factory secondary cats. Fingers crossed it’s sometime this year.
Old 02-27-23, 04:25 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 505 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by rommeeeezy
Anyone with technical knowledge of the GTHaus Musa Valved exhaust system know if the vacuum line absolutely needs to be hooked up? I feel like that's a big red flag for any Lexus techs searching in the engine bay should there be any type of warranty work that is required. I think that's really the biggest thing holding me back from purchasing just the axleback system as I think with the stock center section, it'll be the appropriate volume for what I'm looking for.

Is the vacuum line required to hookup? or Can the valves work just off of electrical inputs?
Vacuum is needed for the Valves to work, the Valves are vacuum controlled.
The Vaccum solenoid is Electronic controlled, thats the only part that is electronic

tapjoy (02-28-23)

Quick Reply: IS 500 aftermarket exhausts