IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-23, 10:11 AM
23usb500
Driver

Received 182 Likes on 61 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Kanpai (04-16-23)
Old 04-16-23, 10:40 AM
04gita
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

I like the idea of swapping only the midpipes to preserve the factory tips (not because I love them, just because it looks stock) while making what seems like a real improvement to the character of the exhaust. But I've never deleted secondary cats on a car before, so I'm a little hesitant.

I don't live in an emissions state, so no worries there.
Do you have to do anything to suppress a CEL or any other warnings?
Do you get increased fumes/smell?
Do you get increased particulates that will make the exhaust tips harder to keep clean?

Forgive me if any of these are dumb questions... I'm on completely unfamiliar ground here. :-)
Old 04-16-23, 11:05 AM
MYIS500
Intermediate

Received 355 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 23usb500
Sounds awesome! Are the valves open or closed?
Old 04-16-23, 11:06 AM
23usb500
Driver

Received 182 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MYIS500
Sounds awesome! Are the valves open or closed?
valves are open. Only time I close them is when I leave for work around 4:30am not to wake the wife and kids.
MYIS500 (04-16-23)
Old 04-16-23, 03:19 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by 04gita
I like the idea of swapping only the midpipes to preserve the factory tips (not because I love them, just because it looks stock) while making what seems like a real improvement to the character of the exhaust. But I've never deleted secondary cats on a car before, so I'm a little hesitant.

Do you get increased particulates that will make the exhaust tips harder to keep clean?

Forgive me if any of these are dumb questions... I'm on completely unfamiliar ground here. :-)
Answer to all three questions ia NO
jororo (04-16-23)
Old 04-17-23, 09:36 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 693 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by 04gita

If you get the Apexi or GTHAUS midpipe and install it correctly. No CEL, fumes/smell hardly noticeable if any.., no you should get more exhaust pollution on the car.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-23-23, 12:58 AM
trooper141
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Can anyone recommend a axel back exhaust, I do not need obnoxiously loud, but louder than stock.

also I would prefer a bolt on, so I don’t have to cut the pipes or do anything I can’t put back to stock. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

I am new to performance cars
Old 04-23-23, 04:52 AM
abdrury
Intermediate

Received 252 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by trooper141
Can anyone recommend a axel back exhaust…I would prefer a bolt on…
Hello! Yes I’m just learning from a separate Thread in this Forum that the Revel Medallion (maybe I got
that wrong!) designed for the Lexus RC F is a fit for the IS 500 and is a notch above stock sound and feel. It’s bolt on too.

It’s likely what I’ll do, but careful! I’ve started thinking about throwing caution to the wind and getting a full valvetronic cat back installed. That lets you quiet it down if necessary. Also, about three times as costly … at least.
Old 04-23-23, 05:14 AM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 749 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by abdrury
Hello! Yes I’m just learning from a separate Thread in this Forum that the Revel Medallion (maybe I got
that wrong!) designed for the Lexus RC F is a fit for the IS 500 and is a notch above stock sound and feel. It’s bolt on too.

It’s likely what I’ll do, but careful! I’ve started thinking about throwing caution to the wind and getting a full valvetronic cat back installed. That lets you quiet it down if necessary. Also, about three times as costly … at least.
One thing I’ve noticed is even with a louder exhaust the IS500 is still very quiet inside. So any considerations about noise levels are really for your neighbors and traffic around you rather than for those inside the car.

The Revel isn’t nearly as loud as a valved exhaust in open mode. Smartest play would seem to be to either install the Revel or just a midpipe and see if that scratches the itch. I did just a midpipe with the idea that I’d do a valved catback later on if it wasn’t enough, and now I have zero intention of adding a catback.
Old 04-23-23, 05:45 AM
abdrury
Intermediate

Received 252 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jororo
I did just a midpipe with the idea that I’d do a valved catback later on if it wasn’t enough, and now I have zero intention of adding a catback.
The mid pipe is something an exhaust shop needs to do? What’s that all run the part(s) and labor?
Old 04-23-23, 08:45 AM
trooper141
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jororo
One thing I’ve noticed is even with a louder exhaust the IS500 is still very quiet inside. So any considerations about noise levels are really for your neighbors and traffic around you rather than for those inside the car.

The Revel isn’t nearly as loud as a valved exhaust in open mode. Smartest play would seem to be to either install the Revel or just a midpipe and see if that scratches the itch. I did just a midpipe with the idea that I’d do a valved catback later on if it wasn’t enough, and now I have zero intention of adding a catback.
thank you, anyone installed a revel, how difficult is the install? Any videos on IS500?
Old 04-23-23, 08:49 AM
Answer
Instructor

Received 835 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by trooper141
thank you, anyone installed a revel, how difficult is the install? Any videos on IS500?
Installed mine in like 2 hours with beer breaks. Pretty easy, two bolts each side and 3 rubber hangers.

Here's a quick video, the Revel is by no means an hardcore setup, but to me it's just perfect.

geckornr (09-28-23)
Old 04-23-23, 08:51 AM
trooper141
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Answer
Installed mine in like 2 hours with beer breaks. Pretty easy, tow bolts each side and 3 rubber hangers.

Here's a quick video, the Revel is by no means an hardcore setup, but to me it's just perfect.

https://youtu.be/z29RO5egvvQ
thanks, is that your video - if so how long have you had it and any CEL or issues? Is thr a install video I could see, never done this kind of work.
Old 04-23-23, 08:53 AM
Answer
Instructor

Received 835 Likes on 405 Posts

^^ Yes, that's my video. I was the first ever to put the RC-F axleback on the 500, had it on for like a month.

You're not gonna have any issues or CEL with an axleback. Don't have an install video, but I mean, it's pretty self explanatory once you get under the car! (liquid hand soap does WONDERS to remove and put back the rubber hangers!)
Old 04-23-23, 08:55 AM
trooper141
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Answer
^^ Yes, that's my video. I was the first ever to put the RC-F axleback on the 500, had it on for like a month.

You're not gonna have any issues or CEL with an axleback. Don't have an install video, but I mean, it's pretty self explanatory once you get under the car! (liquid hand soap does WONDERS to remove and put back the rubber hangers!)
thank you, can you post some drive by runs in the coming days or weeks. Lastly - where did you purchase it - any links ?

Quick Reply: IS 500 aftermarket exhausts