IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-23, 07:40 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 447 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
This is what I was talking about. Flat out says they will not ship to CA.
I wonder if that waiver they're asking customers to sign is a liability waiver saying they are selling the product with intention of this car to not be driven on roads. Then they can ship to CA customers

Either way, I'm sure theres a workaround, especially with ARK being based in CA.
Old 12-23-23, 09:00 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowlaneAZ
Can someone school me on midpipes? What's the difference from company to company? Or is there really no difference?

Like I get there are different material, w/ cats, w/o cats, resonated, non resonated, etc.

Do some companies have proprietary technology with their midpipes? Thanks squad!
It's a pipe. Your options are resonated and non-resonated, with offerings in steel and titanium. Non-resonated is louder than resonated. The difference between manufacturers is minimal/you won't be able to notice.

Last edited by AmbyBomb; 12-23-23 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-23-23, 09:53 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
It's a pipe. Your options are resonated and non-resonated, with offerings in steel and titanium. Non-resonated is louder than resonated. The difference between manufacturers is minimal/you won't be able to notice.
Appreciate the info. This much I do understand. Moreso I'm wondering the difference from company to company, gt haus vs apex vs ppe. Pretty much identical except for price. PPE is several hundred dollars less. Is this the difference of buying from a larger manufacturer versus a smaller manufacturer.

I had my mind set on gt haus non resonated midpipe, until I found out PPE had mid pipes and theyre local to me.
Old 12-23-23, 10:02 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Appreciate the info. This much I do understand. Moreso I'm wondering the difference from company to company, gt haus vs apex vs ppe. Pretty much identical except for price. PPE is several hundred dollars less. Is this the difference of buying from a larger manufacturer versus a smaller manufacturer.

I had my mind set on gt haus non resonated midpipe, until I found out PPE had mid pipes and theyre local to me.
There is no meaningful difference. Only so much flexibility in a pipe that has to fit in a confined space.
Old 12-23-23, 10:08 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

There is no meaningful difference. Only so much flexibility in a pipe that has to fit in a confined space.
Cool I didn't think there was any major noticeable difference. Just wanted to make sure before I pulled the trigger on one.

From what I can tell, PPE is a two piece mid pipe, vs gthaus/apex, they're a one piece midpipe. That's the only major difference I can see. Outside of that, I guess I'm correct in saying a pipe is a pipe, relatively speaking of course.
Old 12-23-23, 12:21 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 694 Likes on 610 Posts

I wonder if that waiver they're asking customers to sign is a liability waiver saying they are selling the product with intention of this car to not be driven on roads. Then they can ship to CA customers

Either way, I'm sure theres a workaround, especially with ARK being based in CA.
I asked Ark, they aren't going to ship within CA. We can help CA people though.

As far as the differences in midpipes, most of the options out there produce difference sounds so I would say that is the biggest difference.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 12-23-23, 04:47 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 213 Posts

Cool I didn't think there was any major noticeable difference. Just wanted to make sure before I pulled the trigger on one.

From what I can tell, PPE is a two piece mid pipe, vs gthaus/apex, they're a one piece midpipe. That's the only major difference I can see. Outside of that, I guess I'm correct in saying a pipe is a pipe, relatively speaking of course.
Apexi comes in 2 pieces. I believe all this companies make the H pipe. not sure who made an X pipe. again difference and sound and this is due to how air flows. you can see the differences on YouTube.
Old 12-23-23, 04:51 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Good luck to anyone who tries to differentiate between same type of midpipes (eg. resonated brand A to resonated brand B) using YouTube clips. Unrelated clips of the same midpipe can sound different.
Old 12-23-23, 05:02 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 213 Posts

Good luck to anyone who tries to differentiate between same type of midpipes (eg. resonated brand A to resonated brand B) using YouTube clips. Unrelated clips of the same midpipe can sound different.
I concur. it's crazy to see the price differences between the companies when the pipes are very similar. of course, type materials (ie Ti vs SS), craftsmanship and additions (+ secondary cats or resonators) will add to the price deltas, but overall a SS pipe from vendor 1 vs SS pipe from vendor 2 would be difficult to differentiate (as far as sound).
Old 12-23-23, 08:22 PM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by cp2
Apexi comes in 2 pieces. I believe all this companies make the H pipe. not sure who made an X pipe. again difference and sound and this is due to how air flows. you can see the differences on YouTube.
Ppe has an x pipe and i believe rr racing will custom make thier midpipe with an x pipe if you request it.
Old 12-23-23, 09:37 PM
subtl
Pit Crew

Received 115 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
Theres that one company that someone put up before for the custom titanium is500 exhauast, has an option for H pipe or X pipe. 5k for a full custom titanium exhaust.
Old 12-24-23, 11:11 AM
Infrared500
Rookie

Received 87 Likes on 16 Posts

Installed some parts I have had for a while including this Revel axle back.

The following users liked this post:
geckornr (07-06-24)
Old 12-24-23, 11:14 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by Infrared500
Installed some parts I have had for a while including this Revel axle back.

Vids or it never happened
The following users liked this post:
604GSE21 (12-24-23)
Old 12-24-23, 12:20 PM
abdrury
Intermediate

Received 252 Likes on 119 Posts

I still think the best bang for your buck is having an exhaust shop remove the secondary cats and resonators and add an x-pipe.

Old 12-24-23, 12:23 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

It's definitely the cheapest option. For some of us, reversibility is important too.

Quick Reply: IS 500 aftermarket exhausts