IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-24, 03:25 PM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 426 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by cyfi66
I will keep an eye out! If you see a white GSF its more than likely me, I haven't seen any other white GSF's here at all. I did see a molten pearl GSF a couple times in Chandler.
Haha look for a white IS500 instead. I wish I could snag a GSF.
Old 03-13-24, 09:51 AM
starman703
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 22 Posts

I like Borla's pricing and have had their product on many of my cars without complaints. The one thing about Borla on the IS500, per the pictures i've seen anyway, is how much the Muffler stands out. I wish they had painted it black like OEM.
The following users liked this post:
prophecywhiteis500 (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 12:12 PM
AnotherRandomNPC
Rookie

Received 55 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by starman703
I like Borla's pricing and have had their product on many of my cars without complaints. The one thing about Borla on the IS500, per the pictures i've seen anyway, is how much the Muffler stands out. I wish they had painted it black like OEM.
Some high heat flat black paint could fix that real quick...but I agree I dont like how these aftermarket muffers stand out as-is.
Old 03-13-24, 08:37 PM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

I'm not sure if i like or dont like this look. But not sure, even though I've seen the stock muffler tons of times either on my car or online, I never actually thought the stock muffler is black. I hope you didn't just ruin it for me.
Old 03-13-24, 09:02 PM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts

100% agreed. The black OEM does wonders for the look IMO. The Borla pictures of the polished muffler just made them not look right. It totally detracted from the stacked quad tips which I think are the best part of the 500 exhaust. I'm hoping Borla and other manufactures take notes from RR racings bazooka exhaust. They have their muffler black like OEM.

I'm still looking for a highly recommended exhaust thats not too loud with a black muffler. It seems every after market one has issues from too loud, too low, etc...
Old 03-14-24, 06:10 AM
starman703
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by prophecywhiteis500
100% agreed. The black OEM does wonders for the look IMO. The Borla pictures of the polished muffler just made them not look right. It totally detracted from the stacked quad tips which I think are the best part of the 500 exhaust. I'm hoping Borla and other manufactures take notes from RR racings bazooka exhaust. They have their muffler black like OEM.

I'm still looking for a highly recommended exhaust thats not too loud with a black muffler. It seems every after market one has issues from too loud, too low, etc...
Same, I may be leaning towards Ark's Grip. Their mufflers are smaller oval shaped and slightly angled for a less distracting look.
Old 03-14-24, 06:45 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 688 Likes on 605 Posts

Same, I may be leaning towards Ark's Grip. Their mufflers are smaller oval shaped and slightly angled for a less distracting look.
We have some remaining for this March shipment if interested!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-14-24, 06:42 PM
Pandonsf
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
We have some remaining for this March shipment if interested!

-Josh
when are they supposed to ship?
Old 03-15-24, 07:48 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 688 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by Pandonsf
when are they supposed to ship?
All preorders have already shipped out, new orders probably a couple of days.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Pandonsf (03-15-24)
Old 03-15-24, 11:08 AM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

So my wife very much unexpectedly said it'd be nice if our IS500 was even louder. As of now it only has the resonated Apexi midpipe and stock axle back, which sounds great ... but hey, louder is better and happy wife = happy life (talk about a keeper !!!)

I've reviewed the older posts and the used one listed on here and it seems like the the Invidia Q300 axle back for the RC200T & RC350 (part # HS14LRCDR4OS) is a direct plug & play with our IS500s. Is this correct? Did see something about might need a slightly longer rubber mounting/bushing to get the exhaust tips to clear a little better, but other than that small tweak is this axle back something I can just order and install as is?

Sorry for beating a dead horse - just want to verify before ordering.

Last edited by jororo; 03-15-24 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-15-24, 11:12 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,162 Likes on 343 Posts

I am excited I ordered the Borla Axleback from my local shop. Looks like 3-4 weeks out.
Old 03-15-24, 11:37 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by Moonman89
I am excited I ordered the Borla Axleback from my local shop. Looks like 3-4 weeks out.
I got confirmation mines getting delivered Monday. Unfortunately I won't be able to install it til maybe april
Old 03-15-24, 11:41 AM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 224 Likes on 89 Posts

Just got my Borla, set to install on Tuesday.

Honestly a little nervous with the Apexi resonated midpipe + Borla axle back... I'm hoping it's not too aggressive.
DLPTony (03-15-24)
Old 03-16-24, 09:30 AM
500IS
Rookie

Received 47 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by geckornr
Just got my Borla, set to install on Tuesday.

Honestly a little nervous with the Apexi resonated midpipe + Borla axle back... I'm hoping it's not too aggressive.
Post a before and after sound clip.
Old 03-16-24, 11:44 AM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 224 Likes on 89 Posts

Ok so my exhaust shop let me know they had an opening today, and it's all done and installed.

Apexi resonated midpipe + Borla S-Type axle back.

A few thoughts....

In general, when it comes to mods, I like "OEM+" looks and sounds, so nothing too aggressive. I've had Borla S-Type exhausts on 4Runners and my GX, and always found them to be a little extra growl but nothing too aggressive or loud. I loved the sound of the Apexi resonated midpipe on its own (and would say it is a perfect OEM+ sound), but considering my good experiences with Borla products, I went for the axle back for the IS 500.

When I went to pick the car up and started it for the first time, I'll be honest, I was tempted to ask them to uninstall it. The exhaust is SO LOUD and it sounded like a straight piped Charger or Mustang. No hate for folks who like that sound, but it's not what I was going for. I just wanted to hear a bit more of the V8, and my hope has been to achieve something like the LC 500 is stock.

I paid and left... on the road, it's extremely loud... but only when you're really on the throttle. At cruising speeds on surface streets, it's extremely quiet and basically stock sound. I haven't been on the highway yet. If you get on the throttle and the car starts delivering power (pedal even 1/3 or 1/2 of the way down), it is loud. Driving like a normal person, it's not bad at all and it's more aggressive, but not horrible. It's just that when you go beyond 3/10 in driving, it sounds like a straight piped American car.

With that said, every Borla system I've ever had gets more mellow after a few hundred miles of burn in. I'm going to keep this exhaust on for a while to see if the tone changes much, and I hope it does. If it doesn't, I will probably sell it and go back to just the midpipe since I loved that sound.

Random note: the tips are tucked more into the bumper than I thought they would be? Aesthetically, I think it looks really nice and I did love the stock tips too. I was worried about the Borla tips being too big or aggressive, but I'm very happy with how they look.

The following 2 users liked this post by geckornr:
Brosquito (03-16-24), Pandonsf (03-16-24)

Quick Reply: IS 500 aftermarket exhausts