IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-24, 08:40 AM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 298 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ I hear what you are saying (no pun intended) - To me, as much I like the idea of a slightly more aggressive rumble, I would never buy an exhaust system based on feedback from owners or video clips as its not able to accurately replicate what I will hear/feel. If I know someone that has the Lexus V8 (GS F, RC F, IS 500) and the combo I am interested and can listen and experience it in the flesh, then that works for me otherwise, I am just not gutsy enough to take the plunge. I am aware that really reduces my chances of getting one but my OCD in me can't just take that risk and then regret what I purchased, especially given the cost to purchase and install (since I can't do it myself).
Given my experience I agree with you fully. I'm too nit picky about these things and opinions on exhausts vary so much that you'd think people were talking about two totally different cars.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (03-19-24)
Old 03-19-24, 09:21 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 688 Likes on 605 Posts

Waiting on our Ark Performance exhausts to come in! So many to ship out!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 03-19-24, 08:52 PM
808c2s
Intermediate

Received 193 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mg1972
Agree with you100%... I would love to hear these in person...

I want more hp is really what I'm after... I know the midpipe is like 10hp-ish from what I have seen on the boards... honestly if I could keep it pretty dang close to stock sound a smidge more rumple that would be good for me...

and I know 10hp is probably not going to really feel much different than stock, but I cannot leave a performance car alone.. I always want to make minor upgrades as I can.. it's a disease really...
It's not the HP that you're after as you can't feel much in a relatively high HP car like this, but it's the 20 ft-lb of TQ through out the rev range that will make you notice a better response. I believe this was dyno proven on a dyno jet with one of the FB members' car.
mg1972 (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 04:38 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ I hear what you are saying (no pun intended) - To me, as much I like the idea of a slightly more aggressive rumble, I would never buy an exhaust system based on feedback from owners or video clips…

…I am interested and can listen and experience it in the flesh, then that works for me otherwise, I am just not gutsy enough to take the plunge. I am aware that really reduces my chances of getting one but my OCD in me can't just take that risk and then regret what I purchased, especially given the cost to purchase and install (since I can't do it myself).
I agree 100%!

Would love to have the snaps of the LC500, but from what I’ve seen/heard, none of the aftermarket options to date have replicated it exactly. The largest point being, the drone inside the cabin. Several have said ‘no drone’, I’ll watch the vid and come away with: “Their hearing needs to be checked, that’s Drone City!” 😜
The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
Bechtold (03-20-24), wthrman2 (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 11:15 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

^^^^I have an LC with PPE headers and dual mode exhaust. I believe the no drone in an LC is more because of sound deadening materials than exhaust. I had the same exhaust setup on my ISF and cabin noise was louder in the ISF.
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
cflanary (03-20-24), DLPTony (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 11:38 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
^^^^I have an LC with PPE headers and dual mode exhaust. I believe the no drone in an LC is more because of sound deadening materials than exhaust. I had the same exhaust setup on my ISF and cabin noise was louder in the ISF.
I figured one of the factors could be the amount of sound deadening material in the LC vs ours. It’s probably why I’ll never get an exhaust for the foreseeable future. The low rumble out of the box is plenty for me, especially since I rarely listen to the radio.
Old 03-20-24, 12:48 PM
Rpgove3334
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Waiting on our Ark Performance exhausts to come in! So many to ship out!

-Josh
any borla’s available for is500
Old 03-20-24, 01:53 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rpgove3334
A few mixed in with the Apexi midpipe.

https:/www.facebook.com/share/p/cMaoimj3Gw4duD6G/?
Old 03-20-24, 02:41 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Rpgove3334
I decided to pull mine off so if you are interested in it let me know. I decided I like the quiet exhaust quite a bit after all, I didn't like the attention, already had 2 people want to race the first day I put it on.
DLPTony (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 02:49 PM
Pandonsf
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cyfi66
I decided to pull mine off so if you are interested in it let me know. I decided I like the quiet exhaust quite a bit after all, I didn't like the attention, already had 2 people want to race the first day I put it on.
glad i wasn’t the only one that pulled it off right after installing.
Old 03-20-24, 02:53 PM
snowyblue
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

was that with oem mid pipe or aftermarket?
Old 03-20-24, 02:55 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

No freaking way. It was that loud?! 🤣

That’s kinda cool and crazy all in one, but I would’ve done the same. Even though the car is blue and demon red, I’m Team Sleeper. 😎
Old 03-20-24, 02:57 PM
prophecywhiteis500
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Pandonsf
glad i wasn’t the only one that pulled it off right after installing.
That's a bit frustrating how loud these suckers are. I get that the main buyers of exhaust want it loud, but the majority of them drive domestics (most of the Mustangs). Lexus is a different breed, I think Lexus owners want refined sound, rather than volume, which is unfortunate because even the videos people are posting, I can tell a lot of the brands are a bit much for my taste.

As I mentioned before, if a company can make something similar to the cold start sound permanent, that would be fantastic. I wish stock was a little (not a lot) louder once all warmed up.
geckornr (03-21-24)
Old 03-20-24, 03:03 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

I think I'd be OK with the volume but they advertised NO DRONE and NO DRONE GUARANTEED and I took that literally. I just felt like there was light drone 1,900 - 2,100 and it bugged me. It was a little louder than I like but not terrible, it sounded bad ***. But yeah I'd rather people think I am an old grandpa anyways . The cold start was loud enough to get my neighbor to come outside in his PJ's, but he is really nosy anyways lol. I don't want to be "that guy" in the neighborhood, its already pretty loud cold start stock.

I bet with a non resonated midpipe it would be too loud. Mine was stock everything just axle back. As soon as I put the stock one back on I could tell the resonance at 1,900-2,000 was completely gone.
wthrman2 (03-21-24)
Old 03-20-24, 04:16 PM
jeffhillslint
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have lurked here for months and read through parts of this thread numerous times. Does anyone have any familiarity with both the valved RR Racing and the new Borla option? It seems the new Borla axle back has some resonance around 2-2,750 rpm’s. I have seen complaints with the RR option having some drone as well. Has anyone here heard the RR closed vs the Borla?

I want exhaust, but I don’t want any drone. My M2C had undetectable (to me) drone with the valved exhaust closed.

I love the idea of a valved exhaust based on my experiences with my previous M2 Comp (installed Dinan catback) and CT4V Blackwing.

Sorry if this is rambling and not productive to the conversation, but I’m ready to order something. Videos and sound clips on the internet aren’t always indicative of real world sound. Any help is appreciated.
DLPTony (03-20-24)

Quick Reply: IS 500 aftermarket exhausts