IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-24, 03:03 PM
jnelson
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an axleback installed by a local shop a couple of weeks ago (probably put on 200-300 miles since) and there is some really bad drone at about 1500 RPM which has not gone away. Don’t want to add the manufacturer and put them on blast just yet as I want to make sure it’s not an installation issue first.

I had a closer look at the rear end today and see two potential sources of issues:
- The left muffler’s exhaust tips are just about flush with the rear valance, but the right muffler is about an inch too far inward
- The clamp-on exhaust tips on the right muffler are tight and don’t move by hand, but there is definitely a gap near the clamp; if I shine a flashlight into the outlet, I can see light leaking out onto the pavement below. No such issue on the left muffler

I don’t particularly care about the aesthetics much as it’s not noticeable from a distance, but if either of these is contributing to the drone, I’ll take it back to the shop to have them adjust.
Old 05-16-24, 06:15 PM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 426 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by jnelson
I had an axleback installed by a local shop a couple of weeks ago (probably put on 200-300 miles since) and there is some really bad drone at about 1500 RPM which has not gone away. Don’t want to add the manufacturer and put them on blast just yet as I want to make sure it’s not an installation issue first.

I had a closer look at the rear end today and see two potential sources of issues:
- The left muffler’s exhaust tips are just about flush with the rear valance, but the right muffler is about an inch too far inward
- The clamp-on exhaust tips on the right muffler are tight and don’t move by hand, but there is definitely a gap near the clamp; if I shine a flashlight into the outlet, I can see light leaking out onto the pavement below. No such issue on the left muffler

I don’t particularly care about the aesthetics much as it’s not noticeable from a distance, but if either of these is contributing to the drone, I’ll take it back to the shop to have them adjust.
The tips itself shouldn't be the reason you have drone. I'm no expert but it very well could be an unfortunate characteristic of your muffler.

I will say on my borla exhaust there was a slight drone at lower rpms in the lower gears. But now that ive had the exhaust for several hundred miles now, that's pretty much gone away. I think the exhaust has dramatically gotten more quiet for me, almost too quiet. To the point where my next purchase is likely going to be a resonated mid pipe.

My advice to you, make sure you dont have any exhaust leaks. If everything is good and tight, give it a couple hundred miles for the exhaust to settle, maybe tue drone will go away. If still you have drone, time to open up the wallet.

Is it the rr racing exhaust? Theyre the only "known" exhaust manufacturer that I know of with clamp on tips.
Old 05-16-24, 06:58 PM
starman703
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 22 Posts

While on the drone subject, adding to my original post ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post11719637 ) , mine is full catback (with ARK's midpipe containing resonators and secondary cats, the muffler end has drone reducer canisters also known as Helmholtz Resonator) and confirmed all is tight, no leaks, and not touching any part of the car, and tips aligned perfectly well. I still get drone.

FIRST, I will say, I can live with it, but I want to warn others of what to expect with ARK. At first i've been rolling with my windows down enjoying the glorious noise it makes with slight drone, but recently the temperatures have been going up so I've been driving with the windows rolled up and the drone is more pronounce. My commute to work contains hills here and there, and i'm telling you any slight incline or throttle in the 1,200-2,000RPMs the drone will be there and 1,500 is the worst of it.

Perhaps, i'm more sensitive to drone than others. There have been mention that drone may reduce over time during break-in period (i'm around 200 miles with the exhaust now). I'm not sure if by that they mean my ears will get use to it and appear as if drone has reduced OR of in fact there is some break in period within the exhaust system itself that reduces the drone.

Anyway, I ended up recording a video:
The following 2 users liked this post by starman703:
geckornr (06-25-24), Oloung1 (06-16-24)
Old 05-16-24, 07:59 PM
zcheng3
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by starman703
While on the drone subject, adding to my original post ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post11719637 ) , mine is full catback (with ARK's midpipe containing resonators and secondary cats, the muffler end has drone reducer canisters also known as Helmholtz Resonator) and confirmed all is tight, no leaks, and not touching any part of the car, and tips aligned perfectly well. I still get drone.

FIRST, I will say, I can live with it, but I want to warn others of what to expect with ARK. At first i've been rolling with my windows down enjoying the glorious noise it makes with slight drone, but recently the temperatures have been going up so I've been driving with the windows rolled up and the drone is more pronounce. My commute to work contains hills here and there, and i'm telling you any slight incline or throttle in the 1,200-2,000RPMs the drone will be there and 1,500 is the worst of it.

Perhaps, i'm more sensitive to drone than others. There have been mention that drone may reduce over time during break-in period (i'm around 200 miles with the exhaust now). I'm not sure if by that they mean my ears will get use to it and appear as if drone has reduced OR of in fact there is some break in period within the exhaust system itself that reduces the drone.

Anyway, I ended up recording a video:
https://youtu.be/_4kZJCUS1oM?si=qqtodEA-n_fhTYtq

I had the exact same drone/boominess when I had the GTHaus midpipe with a stock axleback. My solution was to leave the car in Sport Plus so that the RPM baseline changes from 1k-2k to 2k-3k, bypassing the drone RPM band.
Old 05-17-24, 08:16 AM
commbubba19
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jnelson

None of those things would cause drone. Drone is a subject of resonance from sound waves at certain frequencies and reflection points.

I know others say Borla has no drone after a bit but I do. Right around 2k to 2300 under load it's drone is present. It's not horrible.

However, your fitment issues should be addressed anyways as that sounds like a poor install.
Old 06-09-24, 10:18 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 688 Likes on 605 Posts

GTHAUS exhausts in stock
Apexi axle backs in stock
Apexi non resonated midpipe we have one left for June
Apexi resonated midpipe we have 4 left for June.

Contact us to order / preorder.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
The following users liked this post:
Lentu12321 (06-09-24)
Old 06-16-24, 04:03 PM
TheWyman5
3rd Gear

Received 13 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cp2
I like the sound of the bazooka system, but not a fan of the set up. it'll be interesting to see who else comes out with a system.
Yeah I hear ya… not crazy about splicing into the amp for the valve actuation..if it wasnt for that I might be more inclined to get this exhaust.
Old 06-22-24, 08:20 PM
zcheng3
Driver School Candidate

Default Share my exhaust journey

I learned a lot from this thread. Now it is time to share my 2 cents, and I hope this may be helpful to other owners.

1. My first exhaust setup is <GTHaus Midpipe + OEM Axle-back>: I went for this setup largely for two reasons: (1) GTHaus midpipe was the only one that is available to ship; (2) I read that other resonated options are very quiet. I drove this setup for a little over two months. The sound of this setup is glorious, especially the cold start (with pops and crackles). I don't have a good sound recording device. Therefore, I am providing a few YouTube videos from others (It is technically all GSF videos. But my IS500 sounds exactly the same). My main complaint with this setup is that the drone is around 1500 RPM under load. It is a very low-frequency humming noise that resonates with your body. Others have complained about this on related threads, e.g., this <https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-f-2016-present/998309-gt-haus-mid-pipe.html>

GTHaus Midpipe + OEM Axle-back

2. My second exhaust setup is <OEM Midpipe + TOM'S Axle-back RCF version (stainless steel)>: I went for this setup to avoid drones. Because quite some owners in this forum reported the IS500-specific TOM'S axle-back drones. Plus, the RCF version's muffler is painted black, while the IS500 version is chrome. I like the RCF version better. This setup sounds good, with refined and subtle rumble. It is noticeably quieter than my first setup. As I am already spoiled by my previous setup, I had to add a midpipe to it to spice things up. But this may be perfect for someone who is looking for an OEM+ subtle setup.

3. My current setup is <APEX'I Resonated Midpipe + TOM'S Axle-back RCF version (stainless steel)>: This is the perfect setup for me. 100% drone-free. Relatively quiet under 2000 RPM, getting noticed half throttle, and loud when WOT.

The following 8 users liked this post by zcheng3:
604GSE21 (06-23-24), 95bat (06-23-24), Bechtold (06-22-24), DLPTony (06-23-24), geckornr (06-25-24), Meraki Autoworks (06-23-24), Oloung1 (06-23-24), TCM55 (06-23-24) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-23-24, 05:03 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Good gracious, a journey for sure! Did you do all this work on your own or go to a shop? I’ve *seen* several folks move away from the GTHaus to the Borla setup. Was it part of your consideration as well?

**Edited**

Last edited by DLPTony; 06-23-24 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-23-24, 03:21 PM
zcheng3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DLPTony
Good gracious, a journey for sure! Did you do all this work on your own or go to a shop? I’ve several folks move away from the GTHaus to the Borla setup. Was it part of your consideration as well?
I am fortunate to have a mechanic friend who specializes in JDM cars. He got all my mods covered at his shop.

​​​​I was also looking into ARK and Borla before committing to TOM'S. They were all unavailable and There was not enough video data points for me to decide on. Another reason that made me shy away from ARK and Borla is the use of clamps. When I had my GTHaus midpipe I discovered that the clamp connection points are not completely water tight. I often see multiple water spots on my drive way after warming my car. When it comes to removing the midpipe, I saw some water spots/stains around the clamp connection area. This made me thinking flanges with gasket is a superior design for long term use, therefore I went the APEX'I + TOM'S direction.

Last edited by zcheng3; 06-23-24 at 05:23 PM.
DLPTony (06-23-24)
Old 06-23-24, 07:39 PM
Pandonsf
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by zcheng3
I learned a lot from this thread. Now it is time to share my 2 cents, and I hope this may be helpful to other owners.

1. My first exhaust setup is <GTHaus Midpipe + OEM Axle-back>: I went for this setup largely for two reasons: (1) GTHaus midpipe was the only one that is available to ship; (2) I read that other resonated options are very quiet. I drove this setup for a little over two months. The sound of this setup is glorious, especially the cold start (with pops and crackles). I don't have a good sound recording device. Therefore, I am providing a few YouTube videos from others (It is technically all GSF videos. But my IS500 sounds exactly the same). My main complaint with this setup is that the drone is around 1500 RPM under load. It is a very low-frequency humming noise that resonates with your body. Others have complained about this on related threads, e.g., this <https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-f-2016-present/998309-gt-haus-mid-pipe.html>
https://youtu.be/GPDS4Cvuo7w?si=2ESQxzEy9yMmNShE
https://youtu.be/FVG1_8HQA-A?si=gYd3WXiCPK4Qtoo_

GTHaus Midpipe + OEM Axle-back

2. My second exhaust setup is <OEM Midpipe + TOM'S Axle-back RCF version (stainless steel)>: I went for this setup to avoid drones. Because quite some owners in this forum reported the IS500-specific TOM'S axle-back drones. Plus, the RCF version's muffler is painted black, while the IS500 version is chrome. I like the RCF version better. This setup sounds good, with refined and subtle rumble. It is noticeably quieter than my first setup. As I am already spoiled by my previous setup, I had to add a midpipe to it to spice things up. But this may be perfect for someone who is looking for an OEM+ subtle setup.
https://youtu.be/CDrmvZilwkE?si=PIJLAi9upB1-_3t0

3. My current setup is <APEX'I Resonated Midpipe + TOM'S Axle-back RCF version (stainless steel)>: This is the perfect setup for me. 100% drone-free. Relatively quiet under 2000 RPM, getting noticed half throttle, and loud when WOT.
https://youtu.be/_s46GwkNGss?si=DEbBVac0jjIRro2d
sounds a lot like the journey I took… apexi resonated midpipe -> apexi + IS500 Tom’s -> ppe midpipe/stock axle back -> ppe/borla axleback and ended up with the same as you, apexi resonated midpipe with the Tom’s rcf axle back. Definitely sounds great, wish it had a little more volume now that I’ve had it for a few thousand miles.
Old 06-24-24, 04:19 PM
zcheng3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pandonsf
sounds a lot like the journey I took… apexi resonated midpipe -> apexi + IS500 Tom’s -> ppe midpipe/stock axle back -> ppe/borla axleback and ended up with the same as you, apexi resonated midpipe with the Tom’s rcf axle back. Definitely sounds great, wish it had a little more volume now that I’ve had it for a few thousand miles.
Yeah, it is amazing that we started at different places but ended up with the same setup. I would characterize our setup as reasonably loud. It tends to get drowned out when driving next to those modified mustangs and chargers. Personally, this is where I draw the line between daily drivability and exhilaration. My toddler and baby still need to take naps in the back seats.
Pandonsf (06-24-24)
Old 06-24-24, 04:50 PM
Pandonsf
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by zcheng3
Yeah, it is amazing that we started at different places but ended up with the same setup. I would characterize our setup as reasonably loud. It tends to get drowned out when driving next to those modified mustangs and chargers. Personally, this is where I draw the line between daily drivability and exhilaration. My toddler and baby still need to take naps in the back seats.
true. It is nice while cruising having a nice quiet cabin and can still hear and talk to the kids easily.
Old 06-24-24, 05:13 PM
hotct
Pit Crew

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Non-resonated apexi midpipe here, considering the Tom's axle back. I've only been able to find one low quality clip of this combo, wondering how loud it is just cruising around
Old 06-24-24, 05:41 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 688 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by hotct
Non-resonated apexi midpipe here, considering the Tom's axle back. I've only been able to find one low quality clip of this combo, wondering how loud it is just cruising around
We're finally getting them in stock at the end of this month again, the IS500 version.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Quick Reply: IS 500 aftermarket exhausts