IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-22, 07:18 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by martkat
I've visited their site several times now to look at their systems. I believe they only do custom installations at their TX location. I like that they offer a slew of optional exhaust tips - oval, round, black, polished and more. I did notice that they use a tradition pipe bending machine as opposed to a mandrel bend machine. Most aftermarket packaged exhaust systems utilize either mandrel bends or a cut/sectioned exhaust to make sure there is no wrinkling or compression in the curves.

I'm still partial to just swapping out the mid pipe section and leaving the stock factory axle back portion. Not sure if I would go resonated or non-resonated until I can hear more sound clips. The factory 472hp is plenty for me, not really bent on trying to squeeze out more performance from the engine but I would like a more satisfying exhaust note.

This is all based on when and IF, IF, IF I can ever get my Grecian Water car. I'm predicting that I won't have the car until well into 2023 which hopefully will give me more time to evaluate exhaust systems.
many exhaust shops just do the pipe bending cause it's easier and cheaper. as far as performance, you'll always want the smoother route from mandrel bent pipes or sectioned; in other words, no kinks or wrinkles. but of the owner or customer just wants better sound, then there's not need for mentioned. i'm thinking about upgrading my mid pipe as well, but will wait until more options are available. if i can get a whole cat back from a company, then i'll go that route, but if more companies make just axle backs, then i'll have to go frankenstein route. i hope you're able to get your car soon as well.
Old 05-20-22, 10:22 AM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 282 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoFSPORT
I doubt it given that video is 11 months old and apexi is just now releasing their exhaust. Looks like stock tips and the driver states "free flowing exhaust mod." I'd guess custom midpipes at that time period.
Yeah I know the video is 11 months old but when the IS500 was shown at SEMA 2021 the Hiroku and Townsend white IS500 had an Apexi, so I was wondering if the one they used for that track day was the same as that version. The reason Apexi was the first to drop an exhaust, I would assume, is because they were working with Lexus prior to it's release.
The following users liked this post:
Carolina50 (05-20-22)
Old 05-20-22, 03:07 PM
GeoFSPORT
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Renault
Yeah I know the video is 11 months old but when the IS500 was shown at SEMA 2021 the Hiroku and Townsend white IS500 had an Apexi, so I was wondering if the one they used for that track day was the same as that version. The reason Apexi was the first to drop an exhaust, I would assume, is because they were working with Lexus prior to it's release.
Sure it's possible it could have been a very early prototype, but the tips look stock to me. Add in the driver's quote about it's only a free flowing exhaust mod leads me to believe it wasn't a system at all but rather a midpipe or 2nd cat/resonator delete.
Old 05-20-22, 03:10 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Which is weird since there is a pinch point in the axleback.
Fman2118 (05-20-22)
Old 05-20-22, 03:21 PM
Fman2118
Pit Crew

Received 317 Likes on 123 Posts

Someone say APEXi? 😀

Carolina50 (05-20-22)
Old 05-20-22, 03:22 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GeoFSPORT
Sure it's possible it could have been a very early prototype, but the tips look stock to me. Add in the driver's quote about it's only a free flowing exhaust mod leads me to believe it wasn't a system at all but rather a midpipe or 2nd cat/resonator delete.
You're probably right, but as Ambybomb mentioned, the pinch point in the stock exhaust confounds me. Is this for back pressure? Am I over thinking it? I just kinda liked how the exhaust sounded in that particular video. On the flip side I like how this car is quiet and comfy for being a daily driver mostly. I just want like ... A tiny bit more sound when I'm pushing it.
Kwilliams5 (05-23-22)
Old 05-20-22, 03:24 PM
Renault
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fman2118
Someone say APEXi? 😀
How is it on the daily? Can the car still be quiet if need be? What's your experience been with drone?
Old 05-20-22, 03:24 PM
Fman2118
Pit Crew

You're probably right, but as Ambybomb mentioned, the pinch point in the stock exhaust confounds me. Is this for back pressure? Am I over thinking it? I just kinda liked how the exhaust sounded in that particular video. On the flip side I like how this car is quiet and comfy for being a daily driver mostly. I just want like ... A tiny bit more sound when I'm pushing it.
I believe you’re overthinking it. Lexus did it for clearance under the half shafts.
Old 05-20-22, 11:38 PM
tapjoy
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Fman2118
I believe you’re overthinking it. Lexus did it for clearance under the half shafts.
The aftermarket exhaust doesn’t have the pinch points and there’s no issue with clearance.
Old 05-20-22, 11:45 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

That doesn't mean they have the same clearance as stock.
Old 05-21-22, 12:07 AM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 316 Likes on 174 Posts

Yes, I believe you are right on the money on backpressure. With more free flowing exhaust you will loose low end torque and gain marginally on peak torque. Confirmed this with dyno testing when I changed stock axle back for GTHaus (albeit this was on my RCF).

Old 05-21-22, 12:11 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Do you have that dyno? I have a real time believing that you lost an objectively measurable amount of power by replacing mufflers.
Old 05-21-22, 12:21 AM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 316 Likes on 174 Posts

Sure! You asked for it. Here it is.

Purple line is stock axle back, yellow solid line is after changing to aftermarket axle-back. Note, this is with ARH long system headers. The lower yellow dotted line was bone stock car.

Old 05-21-22, 07:08 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
Sure! You asked for it. Here it is.

Purple line is stock axle back, yellow solid line is after changing to aftermarket axle-back. Note, this is with ARH long system headers. The lower yellow dotted line was bone stock car.

So you gained power in places by installing headers, but didn't gain anything by changing the axle back exhaust?
Old 05-21-22, 07:37 AM
Fman2118
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tapjoy
The aftermarket exhaust doesn’t have the pinch points and there’s no issue with clearance.
yeah, and?………that doesn’t mean anything other than Lexus wanted more clearance than necessary.

Quick Reply: IS 500 aftermarket exhausts