IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-24, 04:54 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by 604GSE21
Made a video of ARM + Q300 since all i saw was cold start but no drive by or accelerations on YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aqO1adaG8Y
Sounds freaking hot. 👏🏽👏🏽
The following users liked this post:
604GSE21 (08-03-24)
Old 08-03-24, 08:23 PM
moo_juice
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 604GSE21
Made a video of ARM + Q300 since all i saw was cold start but no drive by or accelerations on YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aqO1adaG8Y
Sounds nice and aggressive, a little bit deeper than my catback Q300.

Curious do you get some minor bassy drone at about 1.5k-2k under load?
604GSE21 (08-03-24)
Old 08-03-24, 08:37 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 384 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by moo_juice
Sounds nice and aggressive, a little bit deeper than my catback Q300.

Curious do you get some minor bassy drone at about 1.5k-2k under load?
only at 2k rpm after that there is none and below that there is none, the rest is just V8 goodness.
Old 08-04-24, 11:12 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 447 Likes on 224 Posts

Can I ask a huge favor of someone with the ppe/rr racing midpipe installed on your car?

Could you take a picture of both the driver and passenger exhaust connection at the manifold?

thanks!!!
Old 08-04-24, 05:37 PM
808c2s
Intermediate

Received 212 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowlaneAZ
Can I ask a huge favor of someone with the ppe/rr racing midpipe installed on your car?

Could you take a picture of both the driver and passenger exhaust connection at the manifold?

thanks!!!
Will this do?
Old 08-04-24, 06:11 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 749 Likes on 268 Posts

Couple of highway videos of current exhaust setup - no drone from Apexi resonated midpipe with Invidia Q300. Both videos have light tire noise and you can barely hear the burble of the V8, but zero resonance/drone. Used to have a Mustang GT that droned like crazy at all highway speeds, very happy current setup avoids that.

604GSE21 (08-04-24)
Old 08-04-24, 06:14 PM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by 808c2s
Will this do?
I don't see any pics. I'm trying to figure out if the pipes that connect to the manifold are side specific. I think......I installed it correctly but the fitment with the borla axleback is waayyy off. So either I messed up real bad or the fitment really is that bad.

I'm trying to determine where I went wrong.
Old 08-04-24, 06:24 PM
808c2s
Intermediate

I don't see any pics. I'm trying to figure out if the pipes that connect to the manifold are side specific. I think......I installed it correctly but the fitment with the borla axleback is waayyy off. So either I messed up real bad or the fitment really is that bad.

This pic ok?

IS 500 aftermarket exhausts-photo313.jpg
Old 08-04-24, 06:44 PM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by 808c2s
This pic ok?

Attachment 506718
Got any profile pics of the pipes connected at the manifold? Trying to see how those pipes are oriented when installed.

If you're FD HI on Facebook, I'm the same guy asking about the orientation at the connection at the axle back. The fitment of this midpipe is making me question my ability in the garage. I'm so perplexed at how poorly this install is going. Haha.

I've installed exhausts on all my previous vehicles and none were this time consuming. Something this simple shouldn't be so stressful. Haha

But looking at your pic, looks like the passenger side resonator does sit higher than the driver side resonator? I'm having that problem but to the point where the passenger resonator is touching the heat shield.

Last edited by SlowlaneAZ; 08-04-24 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-04-24, 07:45 PM
808c2s
Intermediate

Got any profile pics of the pipes connected at the manifold? Trying to see how those pipes are oriented when installed.

If you're FD HI on Facebook, I'm the same guy asking about the orientation at the connection at the axle back.

But looking at your pic, looks like the passenger side resonator does sit higher than the driver side resonator? I'm having that problem but to the point where the passenger resonator is touching the heat shield.
Yes, I'm FD HI. I just sent you a vid of my midpipe via IM. I believe it's the angle of the pic that gives the illusion that one side is higher than the other. They're both the same height, if I recalled correctly.
Old 08-04-24, 08:44 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 384 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by jororo
Couple of highway videos of current exhaust setup - no drone from Apexi resonated midpipe with Invidia Q300. Both videos have light tire noise and you can barely hear the burble of the V8, but zero resonance/drone. Used to have a Mustang GT that droned like crazy at all highway speeds, very happy current setup avoids that.

https://youtu.be/dJPD3bHU7SU?si=Viur1jkUC3osczSe

https://youtu.be/ia_SywLDrfY?si=lAssY-KAfu75mYE1
it's so quiet on the hwy, the cold start though, sounds great but my neighbours are gonna hate me lol..
jororo (08-06-24)
Old 08-04-24, 08:57 PM
moo_juice
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, makes me wonder if they are side specific. My invida midpipe was very crooked when looking at the left and right. One side was a good half inch higher, but the installer just forced the rest of the connections to fit. I wonder if the drone I am getting is due to an exhaust leak somewhere.
Old 08-06-24, 01:30 PM
spielnicht
Driver School Candidate

Received 37 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, the Borlas had to come off and stock mufflers are back on. I absolutely loved the tone coming out of them, but they're just a tad too loud for my personal taste. I was mostly going for just a little more than stock. Probably will just go with a non-resonated mid-pipe at some point to go with the stock mufflers.

Anyway, if anyone is looking for a set of basically new Borlas (1 week old) at a great price, I've listed them under the classifieds.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/market/1027015

The following 2 users liked this post by spielnicht:
Kanpai (08-08-24), mavisky (08-07-24)
Old 08-07-24, 09:43 AM
db003206
6th Gear

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had my Borla axle back exhaust on for a few weeks now and have grown to appreciate the added volume and rasp. They were loud but not over the top, and could be managed through use of transmission mode and how heavy you were on the gas pedal. That all changed yesterday when I finally got the Apexi Resonated Midpipe installed -- all I can say is that I was not expecting that big a change based on what I'd read. Things are downright unruly now. Cold start up is bordering on obnoxious and I hear a lot of vibration in the cabin until things warm up a touch and settle down a little. Idling has a nice deep burble, city cruising at low RPM is still decently quiet, but stepping on it and hitting 3000+ RPM is loud, like too loud. I realize this is only day 2 so maybe it's a bit of shock still but if this keeps up I'm going to have to follow @spielnicht 's lead and take the Borla's off and try to figure out a more reasonable solution. Question for owners of the ARM/Borla setup -- is there a break in period after which things settle down/mellow out? I'm desperately hoping the answer is yes.
Old 08-07-24, 09:50 AM
civilizedgoose
6th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by db003206
I have had my Borla axle back exhaust on for a few weeks now and have grown to appreciate the added volume and rasp. They were loud but not over the top, and could be managed through use of transmission mode and how heavy you were on the gas pedal. That all changed yesterday when I finally got the Apexi Resonated Midpipe installed -- all I can say is that I was not expecting that big a change based on what I'd read. Things are downright unruly now. Cold start up is bordering on obnoxious and I hear a lot of vibration in the cabin until things warm up a touch and settle down a little. Idling has a nice deep burble, city cruising at low RPM is still decently quiet, but stepping on it and hitting 3000+ RPM is loud, like too loud. I realize this is only day 2 so maybe it's a bit of shock still but if this keeps up I'm going to have to follow @spielnicht 's lead and take the Borla's off and try to figure out a more reasonable solution. Question for owners of the ARM/Borla setup -- is there a break in period after which things settle down/mellow out? I'm desperately hoping the answer is yes.
Read through the thread.. @geckornr posted multiple lengthy writeups on that exact setup.

Quick Reply: IS 500 aftermarket exhausts