IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-24, 12:10 PM
commbubba19
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, i'm loving my ANRM and Borla.
Old 08-30-24, 03:11 PM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 484 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by commbubba19
Honestly, i'm loving my ANRM and Borla.
ANRM? apex non res midpipe?
The following users liked this post:
commbubba19 (09-03-24)
Old 08-30-24, 03:41 PM
db003206
8th Gear

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm warming up to my ARM + Borla combo. It seems to be calming down a bit as it breaks in and I've decided to put a couple thousand KM on it before I pass final judgement. I will say there's a lot of vibration when it's cold that I need to look into more -- I'm not sure what's coming in contact but I wonder if something can be tightened up or adjusted to remedy it.
Old 08-30-24, 04:36 PM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 484 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by db003206
I'm warming up to my ARM + Borla combo. It seems to be calming down a bit as it breaks in and I've decided to put a couple thousand KM on it before I pass final judgement. I will say there's a lot of vibration when it's cold that I need to look into more -- I'm not sure what's coming in contact but I wonder if something can be tightened up or adjusted to remedy it.
Vibration or rattling? If its rattling, first place I would check is the chassis brace. When I installed my midpipe I had to use spacers, I can't remember if they were 1/4 or 1/2 spacers.
Old 08-30-24, 07:57 PM
ATLPhilip
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valvetronic designs universal muffler

Hi All,

Have had a 2023 Infared IS500 Premium for about a year now. Been viewing and enjoying this forum. My previous vehicles were all practical cars- my last was a grey leased 330i and a grey Honda Odyssey for many years before that. This is my first car for fun. Loving it so far. Same as everyone, I love the engine (and ignore the frightful gas mileage). Probably like all on this thread, I have wanted more from the exhaust note. I started by switching to an Apexi resonated midpipe. That improved things, but not enough for my wants. While I want something somewhat loud and obnoxious (but classy), it also has to fit in with my current lifestyle of living with neighbors and driving like a responsible person 80% of the time.

I have read with great interest everyones experiences on this thread. The things I am looking for are:
1. Stock exhaust tips - like many on this thread, I really would prefer not to have an aftermarket look.
2. Sound - similar to LC500
3. Be responsible - can't be "that guy" in the neighborhood. Valved exhaust seems the way to go regarding this point.
4. Don't want to spend an arm and a leg on an exhaust. Got kids and tuitions and mortgage payments to think about...

The most popular options mentioned thus far on this thread don't really meet the above 2 criteria. It seems like with the set up of the IS500, it will be impossible to replicate the LC. I probably should've gone with the non-resonated mid pipe but too late for that and I am not in the mood to keep swapping out parts. The next logical step seems to be an axel back exhaust. Looking at the options mentioned thus far, the RR Racing axel back seems to meet my criteria #3 and #4. With the polished tips, it hopefully won't stick out too much as a "modified" car. I came across another option recently on YouTube and hadn't heard mentioned on this thread was one from Valvetronic Designs. They don't have one specifically for the IS but have a universal valved muffler kit. For the IS, it would run $599. Link:

https://valvetronic.com/products/uni...41121489715236

I emailed them and they didn't exactly say if OEM tips would fit on it but said it could be welded if it did fit. They also that have sold some to IS500 customers (but didn't have videos) and they installed these mufflers in a tilted orientation to give an OEM look (they said these mufflers were small enough that a tilted orientation would work). According to one of their generic videos on the universal muffler, with valves closed it would sound similar to stock and with valves open, it would sound 85-90% straight piped.

Does anyone on the forum have these installed on their IS500? Opinions?
Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this product or type of product (universal vs. specifically designed) in general? How much does the sound depend on the exhaust being designed for a specific vehicle?
Assuming that the price isn't the main consideration, which would you choose between RR Racing and Valvetronic? Is there anything else in the sub $2k price range that I should consider?

As you can tell, I am relatively new to all this so your opinions would be greatly appreciated. I thank you all in advance for your indulgence for some of my ignorance on this topic.
Old 08-30-24, 08:49 PM
spielnicht
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm also warming up to the Borla mufflers back on the car. There is no denying they sound absolutely sick on start up and at high speeds, ESPECIALLY compared to stock. The drone around 2K RPM (or call it excess cabin noise) still needs a little more time to accept though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it does improve after I put at least 1K miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by spielnicht:
mavisky (08-31-24), Oloung1 (08-31-24)
Old 08-31-24, 10:16 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

For anyone interested. We have Apexi midpipes both non resonated and resonated in stock. Apexi axle backs. Revel and Borla axle backs.

+ Many other exhausts. Feel free to reach out to us!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-31-24, 12:26 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 775 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
For anyone interested. We have Apexi midpipes both non resonated and resonated in stock. Apexi axle backs. Revel and Borla axle backs.

+ Many other exhausts. Feel free to reach out to us!

-Josh
Highly recommend anyone looking to free up their exhaust start with a midpipe even if keep the factory axle back. Definitely not even approaching ‘too loud’ and zero drone whatsoever (from ~18 months of personal experience with the Apexi resonated midpipe + OEM axle back).

Last edited by jororo; 08-31-24 at 09:23 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jororo:
Meraki Autoworks (09-01-24), Oloung1 (08-31-24), RubyV8 (09-01-24), snowyblue (08-31-24)
Old 08-31-24, 01:21 PM
db003206
8th Gear

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowlaneAZ
Vibration or rattling? If its rattling, first place I would check is the chassis brace. When I installed my midpipe I had to use spacers, I can't remember if they were 1/4 or 1/2 spacers.
Thanks! I'll start looking there.
Old 08-31-24, 03:20 PM
mavisky
Pit Crew

Received 170 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jororo
Highly recommend anyone looking to free up their exhaust start with an midpipe even if keep the factory axle back. Definitely not even approaching ‘too loud’ and zero drone whatsoever (from ~18 months of personal experience with the Apexi resonated midpipe + OEM axle back).

Agreed. Personally loving the sound of my custom mid pipe with an X-pipe. The sound levels are perfect at cruise, wot, and every where in between.
The following 2 users liked this post by mavisky:
arentz07 (09-02-24), RubyV8 (09-01-24)
Old 08-31-24, 03:20 PM
ATLPhilip
9th Gear

Default Valvetronic Designs

Hi All,

Have had a 2023 Infared IS500 Premium for about a year now. Been viewing and enjoying this forum. My previous vehicles were all practical cars- my last was a grey leased 330i and a grey Honda Odyssey for many years before that. This is my first car for fun. Loving it so far. Same as everyone, I love the engine (and ignore the frightful gas mileage). Probably like all on this thread, I have wanted more from the exhaust. I started by switching to an Apexi resonated midpipe- the first time I have ever put anything other than a stock muffler on a car. That improved things, but not enough for my wants. While I want something somewhat loud and obnoxious (but classy), it also has to fit in with my current lifestyle of living with neighbors and driving like a responsible person 80% of the time.

I have read with great interest everyones experiences on this thread. The things I am looking for are:
1. Stock exhaust tips - like many on this thread, I really would prefer not to have an aftermarket look.
2. Sound - similar to LC500
3. Be responsible - can't be "that guy" in the neighborhood. Mid pipe or valved exhaust seems the way to go regarding this point.
4. Don't want to spend an arm and a leg on an exhaust. Got kids and tuitions and mortgage payments to think about...

The most popular options mentioned thus far on this thread don't really meet the above 2 criteria. It seems like with the set up of the IS500, it will be impossible to replicate the LC. I could consider swapping the resonated for a non-resonated Apexi - the tone on the non-resonated sounds a bit meaner and louder on the YouTube vids. I would feel a bit silly about swapping out my current aftermarket midpipe for yet another midpipe, however. Besides that, it seems to be an axel back exhaust might be the next step. Looking at the options mentioned thus far, the RR Racing axel back seems to meet my criteria #3 and #4. With the polished tips, it hopefully won't stick out too much as a "modified" car. I came across another option recently on YouTube and hadn't heard mentioned on this thread was one from Valvetronic Designs. They don't have one specifically for the IS but have a universal valved muffler kit. For the IS, it would run $599. Link:

https://valvetronic.com/products/uni...41121489715236

I emailed them and they didn't exactly say if OEM tips would fit on it but said it could be welded if it did fit. They also that have sold some to IS500 customers (but didn't have videos) and that these owners installed these mufflers in a tilted orientation to give an OEM look (they said these mufflers were small enough that a tilted orientation would work). According to one of their generic videos on the universal muffler, with valves closed it would sound similar to stock and with valves open, it would sound 85-90% straight piped.

Does anyone on the forum have these Valvetronic Designs installed on their IS500?
Any opinions/advice on the options I am considering?
Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this product or type of product (universal vs. specifically designed) in general? How much does the sound depend on the exhaust being designed for a specific vehicle?
Assuming that the price isn't the main consideration, which would you choose between RR Racing and Valvetronic or just swapping out to non-resonated midpipe? Is there anything else in the sub $2k price range that I should consider?

As you can tell, I am relatively new to all this so your opinions would be greatly appreciated. I thank you all in advance for your indulgence for some of my ignorance on this topic.
Old 09-01-24, 11:02 PM
808c2s
Intermediate

Received 219 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mavisky
Agreed. Personally loving the sound of my custom mid pipe with an X-pipe. The sound levels are perfect at cruise, wot, and every where in between.
Agreed as well. I like the X-Pipe configuration. Gives a nice wail in the upper rpm, like a Euro V8.
Old 09-02-24, 11:29 AM
ATLPhilip
9th Gear

Hi mavisky,

I see that you are in GA. So am I. I would love to reach out to get more info from you as I am looking to upgrade my current set up. I am new to this forum (and forums in general) so let me know if this is possible and how to reach you.

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
geckornr (09-09-24)
Old 09-02-24, 04:03 PM
mavisky
Pit Crew

Received 170 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLPhilip
Hi mavisky,

I see that you are in GA. So am I. I would love to reach out to get more info from you as I am looking to upgrade my current set up. I am new to this forum (and forums in general) so let me know if this is possible and how to reach you.

Thanks!
Sure you can send me a private message through the forum or if its a question that everyone might benefit from you can ask it here. I'm new to the IS500 but not to building and modifying cars in general.
Old 09-03-24, 03:32 PM
eyelevel
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I can say the valved GT Haus exhaust/mid-pipe setup has been on point from day one. Easy install with zero issues... I started with the valved exhaust first. Then grabbed the mid-pipe later. There is no video to do it justice. Closed in ECO mode is very close to factory sound. Open --- well, that is another story... lol

Quick Reply: IS 500 aftermarket exhausts