IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-24, 07:46 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 395 Likes on 170 Posts

for me compared my 06 IS350 w/ drones that rattles interior trim panel inside the car (HKS ab + invidia mp), the ARM + Q300 drone for the IS500 is not bad lol..
Old 09-04-24, 07:48 AM
eyelevel
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

on a side note ----- what has everyone been doing with their removed stock system? How much is this crap in my garage worth? lol...
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (09-04-24)
Old 09-04-24, 07:53 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 4,077 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Originally Posted by eyelevel
on a side note ----- what has everyone been doing with their removed stock system? How much is this crap in my garage worth? lol...
The last line is freaking hilarious!! CTFU!

Personally, I’m always revving mine out, so those outside here me coming and going. 😈 I will not change out my exhaust, but I do want the Titanium tips from the RCF. Maybe that’ll be Blu’s 3rd birthday present.
Old 09-04-24, 07:54 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 484 Likes on 242 Posts

Sold the muffler for 80 bucks to a GS owner. Stock mids are in my garage, probably going to sit there until I have to do emissions testing just in case they do a visual inspection for the secondary cats.
Old 09-04-24, 07:59 AM
zcheng3
Rookie

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLPhilip
Hi All,

Have had a 2023 Infared IS500 Premium for about a year now. Been viewing and enjoying this forum. My previous vehicles were all practical cars- my last was a grey leased 330i and a grey Honda Odyssey for many years before that. This is my first car for fun. Loving it so far. Same as everyone, I love the engine (and ignore the frightful gas mileage). Probably like all on this thread, I have wanted more from the exhaust. I started by switching to an Apexi resonated midpipe- the first time I have ever put anything other than a stock muffler on a car. That improved things, but not enough for my wants. While I want something somewhat loud and obnoxious (but classy), it also has to fit in with my current lifestyle of living with neighbors and driving like a responsible person 80% of the time.

I have read with great interest everyones experiences on this thread. The things I am looking for are:
1. Stock exhaust tips - like many on this thread, I really would prefer not to have an aftermarket look.
2. Sound - similar to LC500
3. Be responsible - can't be "that guy" in the neighborhood. Mid pipe or valved exhaust seems the way to go regarding this point.
4. Don't want to spend an arm and a leg on an exhaust. Got kids and tuitions and mortgage payments to think about...

The most popular options mentioned thus far on this thread don't really meet the above 2 criteria. It seems like with the set up of the IS500, it will be impossible to replicate the LC. I could consider swapping the resonated for a non-resonated Apexi - the tone on the non-resonated sounds a bit meaner and louder on the YouTube vids. I would feel a bit silly about swapping out my current aftermarket midpipe for yet another midpipe, however. Besides that, it seems to be an axel back exhaust might be the next step. Looking at the options mentioned thus far, the RR Racing axel back seems to meet my criteria #3 and #4. With the polished tips, it hopefully won't stick out too much as a "modified" car. I came across another option recently on YouTube and hadn't heard mentioned on this thread was one from Valvetronic Designs. They don't have one specifically for the IS but have a universal valved muffler kit. For the IS, it would run $599. Link:

https://valvetronic.com/products/uni...41121489715236

I emailed them and they didn't exactly say if OEM tips would fit on it but said it could be welded if it did fit. They also that have sold some to IS500 customers (but didn't have videos) and that these owners installed these mufflers in a tilted orientation to give an OEM look (they said these mufflers were small enough that a tilted orientation would work). According to one of their generic videos on the universal muffler, with valves closed it would sound similar to stock and with valves open, it would sound 85-90% straight piped.

Does anyone on the forum have these Valvetronic Designs installed on their IS500?
Any opinions/advice on the options I am considering?
Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this product or type of product (universal vs. specifically designed) in general? How much does the sound depend on the exhaust being designed for a specific vehicle?
Assuming that the price isn't the main consideration, which would you choose between RR Racing and Valvetronic or just swapping out to non-resonated midpipe? Is there anything else in the sub $2k price range that I should consider?

As you can tell, I am relatively new to all this so your opinions would be greatly appreciated. I thank you all in advance for your indulgence for some of my ignorance on this topic.
In my opinion, you can add a TOM’S axleback exhaust (RCF version) to your APEX'I resonated midpipe, but reuse the stock exhaust tips (TOM’S axleback comes with burnt titanium tips that are fixed to the muffler using set screws. They are very easy to remove). This would meet all four of your requirements. Plus, the RCF version muffler barrel is painted black unlike other aftermarket options that are chrome. If using stock tips, you cannot tell it is aftermarket from outside.
Oloung1 (09-07-24)
Old 09-04-24, 01:35 PM
moo_juice
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi mavisky,

I see that you are in GA. So am I. I would love to reach out to get more info from you as I am looking to upgrade my current set up. I am new to this forum (and forums in general) so let me know if this is possible and how to reach you.

Thanks!

I had almost all the exact same exhaust requirements as you. I messed around with modified midpipes, but didn't quite get the sound I was after.

In the end went with invidia catback exhaust because the sound is exactly what I wanted and the tips are oval, almost the same look at OEM. This exhaust is for a RCF, but there are other users on this forum who showed exactly what needed to be bought to make it fit (just a few bolt on flanges)
jororo (09-05-24)
Old 09-05-24, 10:38 AM
zcheng3
Rookie

I got a chance today to record my exhaust sound with my phone. My setup is APEX'I resonated midpipe and TOM'S axleback (RCF version).
The following 7 users liked this post by zcheng3:
604GSE21 (09-05-24), DLPTony (09-05-24), eyelevel (09-05-24), geckornr (09-07-24), Kanpai (09-06-24), Meraki Autoworks (09-06-24), Oloung1 (09-07-24) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-05-24, 01:03 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 4,077 Likes on 1,891 Posts

That’s badass! 💪🏽👏🏽

I just want the titanium tips, they look soooo GOOD!!
Kanpai (09-06-24)
Old 09-05-24, 06:59 PM
zcheng3
Rookie

Originally Posted by DLPTony
That’s badass! 💪🏽👏🏽

I just want the titanium tips, they look soooo GOOD!!
Love those tips too! To be honest, I orderred the TOM'S axleback without realizing the top tip and bottom tip have different diameters. I was surprised and skeptical when I opened the box. But it worked out very well and it has grown on me since then.
The following 2 users liked this post by zcheng3:
DLPTony (09-06-24), Oloung1 (09-07-24)
Old 09-07-24, 10:20 AM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 292 Likes on 109 Posts

Apexi resonated mid-pipe + Revel Medallion axle back warm start and revs:

The following 5 users liked this post by geckornr:
604GSE21 (09-07-24), arentz07 (09-09-24), DLPTony (09-08-24), Lentu12321 (09-07-24), Oloung1 (09-07-24)
Old 09-07-24, 05:04 PM
zcheng3
Rookie

Originally Posted by geckornr
Apexi resonated mid-pipe + Revel Medallion axle back warm start and revs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzpqXkiYFvc
Very nice! It is smooth and refined, channeling the stock exhaust note vibe.
The following 2 users liked this post by zcheng3:
DLPTony (09-08-24), geckornr (09-07-24)
Old 09-08-24, 10:15 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

We have almost every exhaust for the IS500 in stock.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-08-24, 01:50 PM
wadman55
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by martkat
All new family members must go through a behavior modification program - might want to reconsider
Shock it to me
Old 09-09-24, 09:18 AM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 292 Likes on 109 Posts

Hi mavisky,

I see that you are in GA. So am I. I would love to reach out to get more info from you as I am looking to upgrade my current set up. I am new to this forum (and forums in general) so let me know if this is possible and how to reach you.

Thanks!
Let me know if you ever want to hear my setup in person - I'm on the east side of ATL!

Also feel free to join the Atlanta Lexus Owners group in my sig - we'll be setting up a meet soon, probably for later this month or October.
The following 2 users liked this post by geckornr:
ATLPhilip (09-13-24), DLPTony (09-09-24)
Old 09-09-24, 09:45 AM
mavisky
Pit Crew

Received 170 Likes on 88 Posts

I've seen them listed for $500 from the secondary cats back to the quad tip mufflers, but I'm sure most of that is in whatever you can salvage from the stock secondary cats.

Otherwise it's really only worth what you value it at if you were ever to sell the car down the road and convert it back to stock exhaust before the sale which would allow you to sell your aftermarket exhaust on the secondhand market.
eyelevel (09-09-24)

Quick Reply: IS 500 aftermarket exhausts