IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 04:46 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by 500IS
I will say when I am near a cop my butt does pucker up a little.
I guess i should have looked more into valvetronic oh well she is a screamer.
I literally choked on my beer laughing! 🤦🏽‍♂️😂
Old 04-29-24, 04:56 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,384 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by MYIS500
Is there or will there be a sound clip of this exhaust? Are the valves electric or vacuum operated on the RES? Thank you for posting.
Valves are electronic. They also have an OBD reader that allows for a couple cool features. One of them, automatically open at 3000 RPM. We posted a video on FB but it's hard to post here. I'm not sure how to
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following users liked this post:
MYIS500 (04-30-24)
Old 04-29-24, 06:47 PM
DonewithGM
Driver School Candidate

Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lukehesss
Quick question:
Would you guys recommend the RES RR-Racing Titanium Exhaust or the Bazooka?

Thinking of placing an order soon.
When I get my RR Bazooka catback you will see extended videos of it we need more on the net that last over 2 min. But from what I have seen on even the YouTube shorts it sounds good. So don't cut corners on mine RR guys because she's going to be a YouTube star lol. I ordered about a month ago. I won't talk in the videos or put my opinion on it I will only drive it like one of those random night drive videos. I like the cold startup and acceleration videos but more videos of it after being warmed up and driven in typical 40mph city or 65-85 mph HW will be out soon. With the occasional WOT lol. If you can film those now do gods work and post it.

Last edited by DonewithGM; 04-29-24 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-30-24, 06:09 AM
starman703
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 22 Posts

"Sigh" meanwhile i'm here still waiting on my Ark Exhaust pre-order to ship out
Old 04-30-24, 06:55 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 426 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by starman703
"Sigh" meanwhile i'm here still waiting on my Ark Exhaust pre-order to ship out
Do you know what the delay is? The peorder was alittle while ago right?
Old 04-30-24, 07:48 AM
starman703
Rookie

Originally Posted by SlowlaneAZ
Do you know what the delay is? The peorder was alittle while ago right?
Pre-orders opened up mid-December with a supposed Mid-March release, but as far as I know, no-one has received it yet. I don't have a clue what the delay would be, perhaps Meraki Autoworks may have an answer.
Old 04-30-24, 11:15 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 688 Likes on 605 Posts

Most of the Ark exhausts started shipping out last week.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
starman703 (04-30-24)
Old 05-05-24, 04:16 PM
lukehesss
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a video about a newer RCF muffler and resonator delete. I'm going into my shop tomorrow to get the mufflers deleted (keeping the stock exhaust tips so cops aren't on my cheeks) and I'm ordering the APEX'I non-resonated mid-pipe soon but thinking about just getting a vibrant resonator. I think this is a good start before I drop a lot of money on a full, catback exhaust from either GThaus or RR-Racing. What are your guy's thoughts?
Old 05-05-24, 04:18 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

I think it'll be very loud.
​​
Old 05-05-24, 04:23 PM
lukehesss
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta keep it below 95 dB in California, I live in a part where stock lambo's are state-reffed. Cops don't mess around here so the muffler delete - vibrant resonator will set it above or at the 95 dB limit. A resonator delete will be too obnoxious for where I live Best believe I'm driving ECO in the cop-infested areas
Old 05-06-24, 12:04 PM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 426 Likes on 214 Posts

Anyone have the Borla exhaust with a non resonated midpipe? What are your thoughts?

I have the Borla exhaust and have a lead on a really good deal on a non resonated midpipe, cheap enough that id be willing to at least give it a shot wether i like it or not. Most reviews Ive read are for Borla and resonated mid pipe and that it's a little too loud.
Old 05-06-24, 07:16 PM
303CIDV8
Rookie

Received 54 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowlaneAZ
Anyone have the Borla exhaust with a non resonated midpipe? What are your thoughts?

I have the Borla exhaust and have a lead on a really good deal on a non resonated midpipe, cheap enough that id be willing to at least give it a shot wether i like it or not. Most reviews Ive read are for Borla and resonated mid pipe and that it's a little too loud.
So...I have the Borla exhaust and the Apexi non resonated midpipe...BUT they're not installed yet. If I can ever find the time, I'd be happy to make a video for you and others to hear as a sample.
commbubba19 (05-07-24)
Old 05-08-24, 05:49 AM
starman703
Rookie

I installed the Ark GRIP Exhaust system last night. Install was pretty straight forward with a few notes to add:
  • I drove up on some ramps at the front, then lifted the car up at the rear on the diff. and lowered it onto jack stands using Lexus specific "knife edge" pinch weld adapters (you can find them on eBay at https://www.ebay.com/itm/155508382648 ). I was able to fit under without issues, but a larger person may need to lift both rear and front higher.
    • The pinch-weld adapter, doesn't actually put any weight on the actual pinch weld, instead it places the weight right behind it where it's safe to do so
  • Exhaust itself is very good quality and good fitment [though slight car modification required]**
  • I originally ordered an Amazon 22mm o2 removal, but it was far too short to reach the o2 sensor. You need a deep socket one. I used a loaner tool from AutoZone ( OEMTOOLS Oxygen Sensor Wrench Set (autozone.com) ) and used the deep socket [longer black socket in the picture] to get the o2 out. This does require a 1/2" rachet drive.
  • I did use a pair of new OEM Gaskets (Lexus Part # 9091706070) where Ark meets the Headers
  • Ark supplies you with new bolts, but re-use the OEM one for the Headers portion, then use Ark supplied bolts for the rest
  • Ark supplies you with new gaskets for each section.
    • The slightly different texture one I used at the muffler end.
    • The larger one I used at the headers.
      • For the headers, first put Ark supplied larger gasket, then place the OEM (preferably new) gasket over it. It won't sit 100% flush at first, but will squeeze into place when tightening evenly
  • MODIFICATION REQURED: The one thing that caught me off guard\completely not expecting, is the requirement of having to modify an OEM bracket on the car. It's a smaller bracket towards the front near the secondary cats. This is explained in the instructions Ark sends you, but Ark's website does not mention of any "slight" modification needed to the vehicle.
    • After I had tightened the exhaust, I saw why you needed to modify the bracket; the Ark pipe [specifically more so on the driver side] that contains the secondary cats, does touch (and will rattle on) the bracket. Per the instructions, I marked out with a marker where it was making contact and went at it with a cutting disk.
      • this bracket is totally removable after the Ark exhaust is installed.

After I position the muffler how I wanted it (i'm talking about making sure the tips are positioned where I want it -- tips are welded on, but the position is slightly adjustable by loosing and tightening the pipes) I tighten everything down. I've only driven about 30 miles so far, but I have no exhaust leaks, no rattles, and best of all, no check engine light (i'll report back after a couple 100 miles, but i cannot detect a single leak, so I don't plan on seeing a CEL)

THE SOUND: It sounds very mean and not obnoxiously loud. You'll get noticed, but IMO, in a good way. Cold start has a mild rumble but quiets down quickly after. I won't sugar coat it, IT DOES DRONE, not a lot, but you'll notice it. The drone comes in at low RPMs [1000-2000rpm, where 1500rpm is the worst of it], if you have it in Automatic mode, regardless of Drive modes, when 1,500rpm approaches you'll get boomy noise in the cabin [i triple checked and can confirm exhaust does not touch any part of the car]. Cruising on the highway 65-75mph is quiet volume wise and drone is nearly non-existent, but as soon as you hit an incline requiring throttle input, you'll get some drone. I was hoping it would be like my friends Borla cat-back system on his Corvette, which is VERY loud under acceleration but virtually zero drone! Either case, i can live with it and not as bad as a muffler delete.

NO VIDEO -- i recorded on my phone, but it doesn't sound anything like it does in person -- plenty of videos on Facebook IS500 page and i think there's one floating around YouTube. Perhaps i'll get a friend with his professional camera\mic rig to get a few shots this weekend.

Last edited by starman703; 05-08-24 at 09:40 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by starman703:
arentz07 (05-08-24), geckornr (06-25-24), jororo (05-08-24), Lentu12321 (05-08-24), Oloung1 (05-19-24), wthrman2 (05-08-24) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-08-24, 10:55 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 688 Likes on 605 Posts

Drone should get a lot better after the exhaust breaks in!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-09-24, 09:24 AM
mkwarman
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey all. I'm trying to find what the best exhaust option is for retaining stock-like quietness 95% of the time while also having a valve to allow a bit more noise when on fun drives (currently I hear my buddy's GR86 aftermarket exhaust more than my own). I've read that simply doing a cutoff valve on the stock exhaust sounds not-great, though I haven't found any videos of stock exhaust valved cutoff to compare. I am also not very educated on exhaust systems, so reading through this thread I'm learning that the mid-pipe plays a significant role in shaping the sound on this car, so perhaps that's something I should look into? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Quick Reply: IS 500 aftermarket exhausts