IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS 500 aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-24, 10:12 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,728 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Sound does play into our perception of acceleration. The other night, my wife and I were coming back home after date night, and we were playing some music. I never do this, but I turned on the ASC just so I actually could hear what the engine was doing. I kid you not that it felt "more responsive" to me. I think it's partly just knowing what the engine is doing that helps. I am not saying the Borla didn't help - in fact, a freer-flowing, lighter exhaust is always going to do something.
The following users liked this post:
geckornr (07-06-24)
Old 06-27-24, 01:01 PM
starman703
Rookie

Received 72 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by starman703
I installed the Ark GRIP Exhaust system last night. Install was pretty straight forward with a few notes to add:
  • I drove up on some ramps at the front, then lifted the car up at the rear on the diff. and lowered it onto jack stands using Lexus specific "knife edge" pinch weld adapters (you can find them on eBay at https://www.ebay.com/itm/155508382648 ). I was able to fit under without issues, but a larger person may need to lift both rear and front higher.
    • The pinch-weld adapter, doesn't actually put any weight on the actual pinch weld, instead it places the weight right behind it where it's safe to do so
  • Exhaust itself is very good quality and good fitment [though slight car modification required]**
  • I originally ordered an Amazon 22mm o2 removal, but it was far too short to reach the o2 sensor. You need a deep socket one. I used a loaner tool from AutoZone ( OEMTOOLS Oxygen Sensor Wrench Set (autozone.com) ) and used the deep socket [longer black socket in the picture] to get the o2 out. This does require a 1/2" rachet drive.
  • I did use a pair of new OEM Gaskets (Lexus Part # 9091706070) where Ark meets the Headers
  • Ark supplies you with new bolts, but re-use the OEM one for the Headers portion, then use Ark supplied bolts for the rest
  • Ark supplies you with new gaskets for each section.
    • The slightly different texture one I used at the muffler end.
    • The larger one I used at the headers.
      • For the headers, first put Ark supplied larger gasket, then place the OEM (preferably new) gasket over it. It won't sit 100% flush at first, but will squeeze into place when tightening evenly
  • MODIFICATION REQURED: The one thing that caught me off guard\completely not expecting, is the requirement of having to modify an OEM bracket on the car. It's a smaller bracket towards the front near the secondary cats. This is explained in the instructions Ark sends you, but Ark's website does not mention of any "slight" modification needed to the vehicle.
    • After I had tightened the exhaust, I saw why you needed to modify the bracket; the Ark pipe [specifically more so on the driver side] that contains the secondary cats, does touch (and will rattle on) the bracket. Per the instructions, I marked out with a marker where it was making contact and went at it with a cutting disk.
      • this bracket is totally removable after the Ark exhaust is installed.

After I position the muffler how I wanted it (i'm talking about making sure the tips are positioned where I want it -- tips are welded on, but the position is slightly adjustable by loosing and tightening the pipes) I tighten everything down. I've only driven about 30 miles so far, but I have no exhaust leaks, no rattles, and best of all, no check engine light (i'll report back after a couple 100 miles, but i cannot detect a single leak, so I don't plan on seeing a CEL)

UPDATE: Ark GRIP Exhaust system:

Welp, nearly 2 months and 1,600+ miles, today during casual driving in the city i got the dreaded check engine light. Ran the codes and it was the o2 sensor I tighten everything as much as i could, i used brand new OEM gaskets and did not detect any leaks! ugh so annoying now have to lift car again, but as it sits I can't hear any leaks. ARK does give you an additional gasket to be used between the primary cats and start of ARK exhaust part, which is installed in addition to the OEM gasket per their instruction's manual. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Last edited by starman703; 06-27-24 at 02:23 PM.
Oloung1 (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 06:58 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 358 Likes on 158 Posts

if there is no leaks and the code keeps coming back maybe get a O2 sensor spacer
Old 06-30-24, 05:34 PM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 426 Likes on 214 Posts

Don't know how popular this option is going to be, but the borla midpipes are available. Not a DIY job for most of us.

https://www.borla.com/products/lexus...ing-pipe-60739

Old 07-01-24, 09:37 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 688 Likes on 605 Posts

^ Was going to post this as well.

Borla midpipes are now available for anyone interested. Retains the factory cats and requires cutting. So if anyone does want that setup, let us know!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-05-24, 08:37 PM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm working my way through all 88 pages here again, and I have three quick questions:

Did we ever determine the diameter of the stock axle back tubing? I've read 2.25" and 2.5", and I'm curious which is true or if those numbers represent different sections of the exhaust. I wish I'd measured before I re-installed the stock mufflers but I didn't.

Second, for folks who have heard the Borla axle back and the Revel Medallion Touring-S exhaust, how would you describe the differences? It seems like the Revel is a little less aggressive than the Borla, but digging for info and experiences in this thread and the FB groups to determine if that's true.

Does anyone have Apexi resonated midpipe + the Revel Medallion exhaust? If so, experience, opinions, reviews?
Old 07-05-24, 09:05 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 358 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by geckornr
I'm working my way through all 88 pages here again, and I have three quick questions:

Did we ever determine the diameter of the stock axle back tubing? I've read 2.25" and 2.5", and I'm curious which is true or if those numbers represent different sections of the exhaust. I wish I'd measured before I re-installed the stock mufflers but I didn't.

Second, for folks who have heard the Borla axle back and the Revel Medallion Touring-S exhaust, how would you describe the differences? It seems like the Revel is a little less aggressive than the Borla, but digging for info and experiences in this thread and the FB groups to determine if that's true.

Does anyone have Apexi resonated midpipe + the Revel Medallion exhaust? If so, experience, opinions, reviews?
Revel (Tanabe) is just slightly louder than stock, you'll need a mid-pipe to hear anything. Borla is way louder, quality probably Revel is better at least that's what I was told.

video of GSF w/ apexi resonated midpipe w/ revel axel back
geckornr (07-05-24)
Old 07-06-24, 07:59 AM
MYIS500
Intermediate

Received 354 Likes on 161 Posts

The stock axle back is 2 1/4 ". The crimping by approx. 1/3rd of that over the axle was thrown in for free!
geckornr (07-06-24)
Old 07-06-24, 10:56 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 688 Likes on 605 Posts

We have Apexi resonated midpipe, non resonated midpipe, and axle backs in stock for anyone interested.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-06-24, 10:25 PM
parodoxx
8th Gear

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Revel axle back for around 9 months. Haven't heard the Borla yet. The Revel is louder than stock, but I feel like because it's a very deep sounding note, it doesn't sound that loud. I feel like sound wise it peaks at 4k rpm, which makes me wanting more. I had LDP and catback on my previous car so at higher rpms, it'd really go off, so it could just be me. I do have thoughts of swapping for a Borla, but still undecided since I haven't heard it in person so can't really make a decision yet.

I've driven from LA to SF and had no issues with drone or passengers complaining about the noise, so I'd say it's daily drive-able.
geckornr (07-07-24)
Old 07-07-24, 06:08 AM
SlowlaneAZ
Advanced

Received 426 Likes on 214 Posts

@RRRacing I just bought a used ppe/rr racing midpipe and was wondering if you had install instructions that you're able to provide.

I'm sure I could do the install without it, but just to make sure I don't overlook anything, I figured instructions may come in handy. Thanks!

Bonus, if anyone has the ppe midpipe (resonated) mated with the borla exhaust, I'd like to hear your feedback.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-24, 10:16 AM
fearnight
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 604GSE21
Revel (Tanabe) is just slightly louder than stock, you'll need a mid-pipe to hear anything. Borla is way louder, quality probably Revel is better at least that's what I was told.

video of GSF w/ apexi resonated midpipe w/ revel axel back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fclccr8w1Hk&t=171s
This is my car. @geckornr and I have been discussing in DM's about the situation with his Borla, so I figured it would be helpful to others to hear what was discussed. I've read over his posts and watched his YouTube video in car where he shows the drone.

I drove with the midpipe + Revel for about a week and reverted back to the stock mufflers, just like him. The boominess was terrible around 2k RPM which made me want to go back to stock mufflers. This was a few weeks before I made my video here. I had full Borla catback on my IS-F so I was a bit in shock how much louder this setup was.

Even after the first drive, I was not happy with the midpipe + stock muffler setup at all. Maybe 20% more sound than stock but still nowhere near the sound level I wanted.

I started reading about the mufflers needing to break in so I gave them another shot. Sure enough, after a couple hundred miles the boominess almost completely went away.

Another trick I learned was to add exhaust dampers on the midpipe to reduce drone. I got this from S&E's Garage on YouTube. I noticed a small reduction in resonance from doing this:
https://imgur.com/a/U5dOABc

I did mention even after doing all this, there is a zone from 1800-2100RPM that will still have some boominess under load. If I'm going uphill and the transmission wants to sit there, I'll drop down a gear or two. 2200-3000RPM is all clear for me with no harsh tones. I'd hate for him to spend the money on the Revel thinking it will be all quiet so I'm being as up front as possible. It's louder than OEM+ would be. I think it's just the nature of this engine and a straight through muffler. There is no way around it.

6 months and 4,000+ miles later, I wouldn't change a thing. Wife and kids haven't complained yet when riding in the car. No issues listening to audio books or podcasts. I'd get this exact same setup if I were to get another GS-F or IS500 (Apexi resonated midpipe + Revel mufflers).

Last edited by fearnight; 07-08-24 at 10:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fearnight:
geckornr (07-08-24), Oloung1 (07-08-24)
Old 07-08-24, 10:12 PM
civilizedgoose
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

24 hours with the OEM axleback on and Borla uninstalled... I feel like I got neutered. I can't believe how much quieter the car is. I know it's the stark difference between having the Borla vs. not, but it feels as quiet as my GX 460 or the LS 430 I used to own. Of course I wanted quieter and that's certainly what I got, but this might be too quiet so I guess I'm feeling like there's still a middle ground here that's a little more noise, but not as loud as the Borla. Maybe that's the new Tom's IS 500 exhaust or their RC F axle back?

A few notes:
- I can finally hear the induction noise again, which is nice and one of the best characteristics of this engine. The Borla + Apexi midpipe setup is so loud that I didn't realize it was overshadowing the glorious 2UR-GSE induction noise when the secondary intake opens.
- The car seems slightly slower to me, and I don't think it's just the noise fooling me. When I got the Borla installed, I noticed that it seemed to take off slightly faster and accelerate slightly quicker. I've hit the "go" pedal a few times in the last day and the car just seems to have lost a little of the sharpness it had with the Apexi midpipe + Borla axle back. I realize that sounds crazy and while I believe the tubing on the Borla is the same size as stock, the rear section of it is not stamped down to clear the rear brace like the OEM exhaust. I don't know how much that might contribute to back pressure changes or increased exhaust flow, but I do feel like the car is slightly quicker with the Borla vs. just Apexi midpipe + Borla axle back.
- In some ways, the quieter ride is nice and it feels less aggressive for everyone else around me, but I'm definitely missing some of the V8 growl.

What are your thoughts on the RR racing valvetronic setup? It seems like it would be a decent solution for when you want a subdued "stock"-like experience then open it up for some fun on the open road.
Old 07-09-24, 07:56 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,383 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowlaneAZ
@RRRacing I just bought a used ppe/rr racing midpipe and was wondering if you had install instructions that you're able to provide.

I'm sure I could do the install without it, but just to make sure I don't overlook anything, I figured instructions may come in handy. Thanks!

Bonus, if anyone has the ppe midpipe (resonated) mated with the borla exhaust, I'd like to hear your feedback.

Thanks!
Very sorry, we do not have instructions for the mid pipe. It's pretty straight forward R&R job.
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 07-09-24, 09:51 AM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by civilizedgoose
What are your thoughts on the RR racing valvetronic setup? It seems like it would be a decent solution for when you want a subdued "stock"-like experience then open it up for some fun on the open road.
I like the RR valvetronic but don't want to get into splicing wires and making any electronic modifications to the car. My IS 500 only has 2k miles on it, so if I have a warranty issue or something, I just don't want to open a can of worms arguing with the dealership and in my experience, they like to point fingers at mods first. Yes, I am aware of Magnusen Moss... but if I can find a plug and play system with no electronic modification required, that would be easier.
Shoeboy4 (07-09-24)

Quick Reply: IS 500 aftermarket exhausts