IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

GTHAUS cat back LSR pipe questions! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-22, 07:15 PM
Grigsbyt1
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GTHAUS cat back LSR pipe questions! Help!

Hey guys I’m just curious if adding a cat back LSR pipe from GTHAUS to my IS500 removes the secondary catalytic converters, then how do people get around the state inspections and emissions testing? I currently just have the axel back installed.

I was under the assumption that removing any of the cats were illegal nationwide. Someone please help me understand hahaha
Old 03-17-22, 01:11 PM
IssaV8
Intermediate

Received 418 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Grigsbyt1
Hey guys I’m just curious if adding a cat back LSR pipe from GTHAUS to my IS500 removes the secondary catalytic converters, then how do people get around the state inspections and emissions testing? I currently just have the axel back installed.

I was under the assumption that removing any of the cats were illegal nationwide. Someone please help me understand hahaha
How does it sound with just the axle back?

I have the full midpipe/axleback setup but I will not know anything about emissions for a few years... Judging by what I see on the road here.. I am pretty sure I will pass emissions lol.
Old 03-17-22, 01:16 PM
Grigsbyt1
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IssaV8
How does it sound with just the axle back?

I have the full midpipe/axleback setup but I will not know anything about emissions for a few years... Judging by what I see on the road here.. I am pretty sure I will pass emissions lol.

Its loud! Sounds great. Nice deep throaty sounds. But in the cab from 1-2.5k rpm’s it’s got a hum/purr that’s a little too loud for me if I’m being honest
Old 03-17-22, 01:25 PM
IssaV8
Intermediate

Received 418 Likes on 166 Posts

Its loud! Sounds great. Nice deep throaty sounds. But in the cab from 1-2.5k rpm’s it’s got a hum/purr that’s a little too loud for me if I’m being honest
Ah, yes. I describe it as being in the belly of a dragon lol! I kept my stock parts; if I need to swap the midpipe for emissions, it won’t be the end of the world
Old 03-17-22, 04:11 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,352 Likes on 698 Posts

Some states have no smog laws. CA is one of the worst, but I think new cars are 5 or 7 years without smog or inspection here in CA. You just pay the smog abatement fee with your yearly tags. So for those 5 years you can do what you want to the exhaust as long as the police don't pull you over.
Old 03-17-22, 05:12 PM
redhunter
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, tampering with original emissions equipment is a federal offense, but the feds so far has targeted the manufacturers and retailers. They don't have manpower to inspect individual cars so you are at mercy of state smog rules that vary from none to insane.
Old 03-18-22, 11:27 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 95bat
Some states have no smog laws. CA is one of the worst, but I think new cars are 5 or 7 years without smog or inspection here in CA. You just pay the smog abatement fee with your yearly tags. So for those 5 years you can do what you want to the exhaust as long as the police don't pull you over.
8 years for new cars in CA not sold again..

CA Police can pull over for loud exhausts, if too loud you can be issued a summons and sent to a state referee to review equipment installed…

If that happens in most cases you would revert back to OEM / smog compliant.

Joe Z
Old 03-18-22, 12:43 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,352 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
8 years for new cars in CA not sold again..

CA Police can pull over for loud exhausts, if too loud you can be issued a summons and sent to a state referee to review equipment installed…

If that happens in most cases you would revert back to OEM / smog compliant.

Joe Z
8 years, even better

If the cops want to be strict and hear you getting on it some areas are impounding vehicles. I'm guessing they can get you for the illegal mods, exhibition of speed, and the like. Totally depends on the area. Where I'm at in CA we are left alone for no front plates, window tint, and exhaust that isn't too obnoxious.
Old 03-19-22, 08:04 AM
tapjoy
Pit Crew

Received 102 Likes on 44 Posts

Im looking at either getting the GTHaus (though it’s really expensive) or the Apexi. But based on the vids out there, there’s only the full catback for the GTHaus vs. the cat back and axleback from apexi. But, apexi doesn’t sound as good as GTHaus but only cause (I’m assuming) they only show their catback.

can you upload to YouTube or IG or whatever, vids of the axleback GTHaus?
Old 03-19-22, 10:53 AM
BitterJoke
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Does replacing the mid pipe has any issues down the line? Most catback systems don’t replace “cats”(I know they are secondary) so I was curious if the rc-f or any other similar cars have issues with CEL or other issues?
Old 03-19-22, 01:01 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb SME - Subject Matter Expert

Originally Posted by BitterJoke
Does replacing the mid pipe has any issues down the line? Most catback systems don’t replace “cats”(I know they are secondary) so I was curious if the rc-f or any other similar cars have issues with CEL or other issues?
Most Catback systems - full dual exhaust replacement do delete the secondary CATS while the primary CATs remain intact on the manifolds.. Hence replacing from the CATs back…

The O2 sensors are far enough from where the secondary oem CATs are located.. so no issues on readings

Once you get headers now you replace the whole system which could delete all CATs to free up maximum Rwhp and in most cases need A/F simulators and/or O2 simulators to fool the system..

Most Catback systems for the 2UR-GSE are problem free when installed correctly and OEM manifolds w/ CATs remain in place..

Joe Z
The following users liked this post:
Fman2118 (03-21-22)
Old 03-19-22, 03:44 PM
BitterJoke
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Most Catback systems - full dual exhaust replacement do delete the secondary CATS while the primary CATs remain intact on the manifolds.. Hence replacing from the CATs back…

The O2 sensors are far enough from where the secondary oem CATs are located.. so no issues on readings

Once you get headers now you replace the whole system which could delete all CATs to free up maximum Rwhp and in most cases need A/F simulators and/or O2 simulators to fool the system..

Most Catback systems for the 2UR-GSE are problem free when installed correctly and OEM manifolds w/ CATs remain in place..

Joe Z
Sweet. Now to wait for some more exhaust systems to come out.