IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Broken windshield 🤬🤬

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-22, 11:34 AM
Velobrew
Driver

Received 175 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Broken windshield 🤬🤬

Well. Of course this happened because I did not buy the extra coverage. Should have had PPF installed I guess…

Any advice, nervous about replacing on a new car, pretty sure my deductible is $500…

This thing is the size of a coke can.
Old 03-17-22, 11:50 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

That can be repaired but will still look a bit ugly. I want badly to get PPF for two of my cars but every product I've seen produces distortion I can't live with. If you plan on keeping your car for any length of time you're going to need a new windshield at some point anyway may as well get it done.

Rant warning:
Spoiler

The following users liked this post:
AJinDFW (03-17-22)
Old 03-17-22, 01:03 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

I'm extremely sorry. But....

Who puts PPF on a windshield?
Even if you did, PPF wouldnt have protected against that huge of an impact.
And if you did a windshield tint, the tint would be on the inside of your car, again providing no protection. In fact, I would argue you would be losing money if you did a windshield tint and you had to get the windshield replaced - so it's a good thing you didn't get it.

My point is, dont feel bad about something you couldn't have avoided or expected. I hope it can get fixed without replacing the windshield, because Lexus glass is expennnnnnsive.

Last edited by macmaster; 03-17-22 at 01:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
drgrant (04-01-22), Velobrew (03-17-22)
Old 03-17-22, 01:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

There are clear films specifically designed for windshields

The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
Joe Z (03-18-22), Velobrew (03-17-22)
Old 03-17-22, 01:55 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeX2K
There are clear films specifically designed for windshields

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Dkc4u62Ik
I see. That wouldn't have helped. Unless insurance covered it, you'd be out the money for the windshield and the film.
Old 03-17-22, 02:20 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by macmaster
I see. That wouldn't have helped. Unless insurance covered it, you'd be out the money for the windshield and the film.
They do help

The major advantage is keeping the factory windshield and not risking damage during a replacement. It is extremely common for shops to damage the paint under the glass I see so many cars with rust around the glass.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
Brandonfu (03-17-22), macmaster (03-17-22)
Old 03-17-22, 02:34 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeX2K
They do help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMUf7DK9JdM

The major advantage is keeping the factory windshield and not risking damage during a replacement. It is extremely common for shops to damage the paint under the glass I see so many cars with rust around the glass.
The OP's damage is at least 2x larger than the damage the bebe pellet did, so it's hard to say how much it would've helped, but that film is still impressive. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-17-22, 03:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

But the film and adhesive cause distortion. Really sucks because otherwise I would get it especially since I own a car where the glass is no longer available OEM or aftermarket.
drgrant (04-01-22)
Old 03-17-22, 03:24 PM
Velobrew
Driver

Received 175 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah I know guys who have lambo’s etc and they get that windshield protector bc the glass for those cars is soooo expensive.

Not sure if it would have worked but some have a warranty against breakage I believe.

FFFFF
Old 03-17-22, 05:53 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Velobrew
Yeah I know guys who have lambo’s etc and they get that windshield protector bc the glass for those cars is soooo expensive.

Not sure if it would have worked but some have a warranty against breakage I believe.

FFFFF
that's some interesting math
Old 03-17-22, 06:57 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Math is hard for that dealer. $209 for clips? Retail for the glass according to several online vendors is $650.
Velobrew (03-19-22)
Old 03-17-22, 08:50 PM
AJinDFW
Pit Crew

Received 206 Likes on 80 Posts

Just curious what it would cost through Safelite. I'm glad you weren't hurt. OP is in Tulsa, pricing similar to Dallas area. Was talking to a local Lexus guy and he said $2500ish, plus or minus a few hundred, is going rate for factory windshield/install/recalibration.
Old 03-20-22, 02:04 PM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

So if you have glass coverage through insurance, you usually have to go through their "approved" shop. Which is almost always Safelite or similar. Went through the same process a few years ago on a unrepairable windshield. I ended up going to a body shop instead of Safelite because it seemed so hit or miss, even though they have a decent warranty. It was a few hundred over the deductible and I had OEM glass installed. Didn't regret it, but that car had no camera systems. I would be leery of someone else doing the re-cal. Maybe you can get the glass installed by someone else and then have the dealer re-cal the camera/sensors.

Although, I will say I've gotten chips and small cracks epoxied at Safelite before under insurance claims and had no complaints. Be interested to hear what others think about Safelite.
giS (03-22-22)
Old 03-22-22, 08:11 PM
giS
Intermediate

Received 670 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by zman21
So if you have glass coverage through insurance, you usually have to go through their "approved" shop. Which is almost always Safelite or similar. Went through the same process a few years ago on a unrepairable windshield. I ended up going to a body shop instead of Safelite because it seemed so hit or miss, even though they have a decent warranty. It was a few hundred over the deductible and I had OEM glass installed. Didn't regret it, but that car had no camera systems. I would be leery of someone else doing the re-cal. Maybe you can get the glass installed by someone else and then have the dealer re-cal the camera/sensors.

Although, I will say I've gotten chips and small cracks epoxied at Safelite before under insurance claims and had no complaints. Be interested to hear what others think about Safelite.
Great summary @zman21
Old 04-01-22, 10:28 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by zman21
So if you have glass coverage through insurance, you usually have to go through their "approved" shop. Which is almost always Safelite or similar.
Depends on thei nsurance laws where you live. In MA it is literally illegal for them to "force you to use their preferred shop" for glass coverage although they will still try to cajole you into doing it. I think about the only thing they can raep you on here is the price difference between OEM and some generic LKQ alternative.

Quick Reply: Broken windshield 🤬🤬