IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Allotment delayed - IS500 Premium

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-22 | 06:07 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Keep in mind that the price of the car is not the sole thing to take into consideration. To me, a Corvette versus a luxury sedan are two different things all together so to say get a Corvette instead of the IS 500 is not always fair. I can't stand the muscle cars (Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, Supra) because of the lack of practicality. Sure, it handles better than the IS 500 but trying to fit people in the backseats isn't as practical or even possible.

Also, keep in mind that if the MSRP goes up next year, the dealer markup may not be as high and also keep in mind that MOST other cars will also go up so in the end, the gap between a Civic and an IS will still be the same as they'll all move in tandem. Not sure if I am explaining it well but I think you know what I mean
The following users liked this post:
giS (03-23-22)
Old 03-23-22 | 07:43 AM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ Keep in mind that the price of the car is not the sole thing to take into consideration. To me, a Corvette versus a luxury sedan are two different things all together so to say get a Corvette instead of the IS 500 is not always fair. I can't stand the muscle cars (Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, Supra) because of the lack of practicality. Sure, it handles better than the IS 500 but trying to fit people in the backseats isn't as practical or even possible.

Also, keep in mind that if the MSRP goes up next year, the dealer markup may not be as high and also keep in mind that MOST other cars will also go up so in the end, the gap between a Civic and an IS will still be the same as they'll all move in tandem. Not sure if I am explaining it well but I think you know what I mean
True, other cars will go up too. The C8 did go up already a few thousand dollars since launch.

I have to disagree on the back seat, though, since mine is about as usable as an LC 500 lol. Nobody is sitting behind me that has legs. This car is like 20" shorter than my ES and I think all 10 of those inches came out of the back seat area lol. I put my lunch, small bags, and dry cleaning on the back seat and I love having a 4 door just for that. Putting my lunch on the passenger side of the C7 got lame after a while.
Old 03-23-22 | 07:52 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ I agree, the back seat are tight and not the most comfortable but for somewhat smaller people, it still works and still usable . I agree that going shopping and such, have the back doors to give access to put some of the stuff there is also practical not to mention making the cabin feel a bit "more open" . BTW, in my case, the small bag goes on the driver seat (lol)
topdunn (03-23-22)
Old 03-23-22 | 08:06 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95bat
True, other cars will go up too. The C8 did go up already a few thousand dollars since launch.

I have to disagree on the back seat, though, since mine is about as usable as an LC 500 lol. Nobody is sitting behind me that has legs. This car is like 20" shorter than my ES and I think all 10 of those inches came out of the back seat area lol. I put my lunch, small bags, and dry cleaning on the back seat and I love having a 4 door just for that. Putting my lunch on the passenger side of the C7 got lame after a while.
^^ I agree, the back seat are tight and not the most comfortable but for somewhat smaller people, it still works and still usable . I agree that going shopping and such, have the back doors to give access to put some of the stuff there is also practical not to mention making the cabin feel a bit "more open" . BTW, in my case, the small bag goes on the driver seat (lol)
4 doors and Automatic were the base criteria for me, being that my current "daily" is a 2 door manual. The IS500 just so happened to have a V8 and reliability on top, which as an engineer gives me the warm and fuzzies.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kanpai:
giS (03-23-22), martkat (03-23-22), topdunn (03-23-22), wthrman2 (03-23-22)
Old 03-23-22 | 09:57 AM
martkat
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DerrtyBird
I have been told the IS500 has been discontinued until further notice. I was told this information last week from Lexus of San Diego. I’ve been thinking about waiting it out for the possibility of a black line edition.
Was that information pertaining to your specific car or was the dealer implying that ALL Lexus IS 500 models were to no longer be in production?
Old 03-23-22 | 10:11 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by topdunn
Yep. Afraid of that. I thought I might be in better shape since my vin had been assigned.
Does the last 6 of you vin have all numbers or is there a letter in there? If theres a letter it's a temporary vin and that car has not been built. If its all numbers, then that car was definitely built, and for one reason or another your dealer is giving you the run around and they may have even sold it to someone else who offered more money.
eflozzz (03-23-22)
Old 03-23-22 | 12:51 PM
cajun
Pit Crew

Good question. Has overall production really been paused for the IS 500?
Old 03-23-22 | 01:03 PM
LH1
Instructor

That earthquake they had about a week ago was very disruptive to production.

I think the 2023's will be much easier to get.

The following 2 users liked this post by LH1:
Brandonfu (03-23-22), wthrman2 (03-23-22)
Old 03-23-22 | 04:03 PM
threeputt
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LH1
That earthquake they had about a week ago was very disruptive to production.

I think the 2023's will be much easier to get.
Is this a guess on your part or do you have some valid information?? According to the Toyota website, there was no production loss at the Tahara plant where I believe the IS is manufactured. This link can provide some insight into when they plan disruptions and is updated regularly.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/co.../37047761.html
Old 03-23-22 | 11:08 PM
lojackfty
Intermediate

Default Days Production Is Shut Down

Originally Posted by threeputt
Is this a guess on your part or do you have some valid information?? According to the Toyota website, there was no production loss at the Tahara plant where I believe the IS is manufactured. This link can provide some insight into when they plan disruptions and is updated regularly.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/co.../37047761.html

one of these videos shows the IS line being shut down for a couple of days at the beginning of April, the 4th and 5th I believe

Last edited by lojackfty; 03-23-22 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-24-22 | 03:10 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

I cant watch his videos anymore, I find the titles are often misleading and cant stand his spreadsheet speculations.

That being said, there is no doubt that these parts shortage and other disruption all have a ripple effect and hope the car world can get back to normal soon. The thing that worries me is seeing things changing so fast with car companies canceling cars like the STI and Mazda 6, will Lexus keep the 500 for 3 to 4 years or will they face the piper and cut it short, time will tell.

I just hope they will produce enough for all that want one, this car is really something....
macmaster (03-24-22)
Old 03-24-22 | 05:09 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

I cant watch his videos anymore, I find the titles are often misleading and cant stand his spreadsheet speculations.

That being said, there is no doubt that these parts shortage and other disruption all have a ripple effect and hope the car world can get back to normal soon. The thing that worries me is seeing things changing so fast with car companies canceling cars like the STI and Mazda 6, will Lexus keep the 500 for 3 to 4 years or will they face the piper and cut it short, time will tell.

I just hope they will produce enough for all that want one, this car is really something....
Being that the Tahara plant was roughly 7 hours south of where the epicenter of the earthquake was, I doubt these production challenges are due to the earthquake and more just supply chain issues.
Old 03-24-22 | 06:48 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

He had a great video where he did a Q&A on the IS500 while driving with his das in the IS500. However, his normal videos are the car equivalent of reaction videos to people doing stuff. Scotty Kilmer has misleading titles too but at least he has decades of experience and a sense of humor.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
Nvicta (03-24-22), wthrman2 (03-24-22)
Old 03-26-22 | 06:21 AM
Fman2118
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by topdunn
Well this is a bummer. I have my name by a USB on Black that was supposed to be in port and headed to my local dealer this week. They just notified me that while my vin is still good and my name is still on the car, but that the "allotment has been delayed until next month." Now I'm getting a little bit of dead air/blank stare from them when I ask for a new date.

Disappointing.

Anyone else get bad news today? You guys post some pretty blue pics to make it better! #bluecrew
sorry to hear about the delay. Here’s a couple pics of my USB on black, just to get you excited.

wthrman2 (03-26-22)
Old 03-26-22 | 06:38 AM
95bat
Racer

What a beautiful Mopar you have!

Quick Reply: Allotment delayed - IS500 Premium