IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Car covers for the IS500

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-22, 09:04 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts
Default Car covers for the IS500

I'm considering getting a car cover for my IS500 and using it at work maybe 2-3 times a week since the pollen is pretty bad here and leaves many yellow-brown spots on my car after just 8 hours that I have to wipe off each night. Although a car cover is somewhat inconvenient and my coworkers may think I'm goofy, I think it would be more protection than PPF or ceramic coatings against pollen (the number 1 thing destroying my clearcoat right now). I just can't keep this up -- I feel as if I don't get a car cover in a year my car will be 100% covered in swirl marks and I'll have eaten through 5 bottles of Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with car covers, such as good brands or general advice. I've seen some YouTube reviews on places like carcover.com and apparently they eventually rip despite a lifetime warranty and they have junk customer service. Then there's CoverCraft but they tell me the IS350 won't fit the IS500 since they're custom made. I kind of doubt they couldn't spare 2" in the front and 2" for the hood, but who am I to say.

Last edited by macmaster; 03-23-22 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-23-22, 09:26 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ I hear your pain about pollen and such and now that I know you are as OCD as me, I can see your desire to wanna have a car cover, especially if you have a darker color where swirl marks are a bit more easy to see. Everyone will have an opinion but I am not a big fan of car cover. They aren't easy to put on when it is windy, can be awkward and such, can still do damage to the finish if dirt is on the car and the cover flaps in the wind and possibly damage the finish. In the end, I still think your best best is to do your on-going detailing especially since the pollen season ain't forever.

I nearly spitted my coffee when I read your "yellow-brown spots" comment - made me think of laundry that my wife always complains about (LMAO)
The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
giS (03-23-22), macmaster (03-23-22)
Old 03-23-22, 09:41 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Problem you will have is the cover will accumulate dust and everything else that falls on it. This is okay when the cover sits on your car at home but taking it on and off everyday will spread the crud everywhere. On the car, in your trunk. on you.

I would instead get PPF and ceramic coating on top of that. I know it's not cheap but once done it's done.
The following 2 users liked this post by LeX2K:
Brandonfu (03-23-22), macmaster (03-23-22)
Old 03-23-22, 09:55 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Problem you will have is the cover will accumulate dust and everything else that falls on it. This is okay when the cover sits on your car at home but taking it on and off everyday will spread the crud everywhere. On the car, in your trunk. on you.

I would instead get PPF and ceramic coating on top of that. I know it's not cheap but once done it's done.
I believe the problem with PPF and ceramic is that the pollen will still stick to the car once it's landed and will still need to be wiped off daily. I probably won't have to worry as much about swirl marks from the wiping though.

As for "once its done its done" I don't believe that's the case with ceramic coats. Many manufacturers and shops require you to visit annually to inspect and re-apply it to maintain the warranty, which I think is around $200 each time.
Old 03-23-22, 09:59 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Update: I'm learning this may not actually be pollen, but honeybee excrement. This stuff actually binds to the surface and even after wiping it off immediately leaves a clear mark in the clear coat.

Here is an example of what I have:

https://www2.palomar.edu/users/warmstrong/beepoo1.htm

Last edited by macmaster; 03-23-22 at 10:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
giS (03-23-22), LeX2K (03-23-22)
Old 03-23-22, 05:26 PM
giS
Intermediate

Received 670 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Update: I'm learning this may not actually be pollen, but honeybee excrement. This stuff actually binds to the surface and even after wiping it off immediately leaves a clear mark in the clear coat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTDw7PJBSbM

Here is an example of what I have:

https://www2.palomar.edu/users/warmstrong/beepoo1.htm
This is pretty interesting. I do also like the nice use of the word excrement! lol
Old 03-23-22, 05:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
I believe the problem with PPF and ceramic is that the pollen will still stick to the car once it's landed and will still need to be wiped off daily. I probably won't have to worry as much about swirl marks from the wiping though.
Most PPFs now self heal so scratches are temporary.
As for "once its done its done" I don't believe that's the case with ceramic coats. Many manufacturers and shops require you to visit annually to inspect and re-apply it to maintain the warranty, which I think is around $200 each time.
Hmmmm not sure about the maintenance part as I do them myself. I have very little maintenance except normal washing, I've tried topper products not sure they are necessary. We have high UV index here so I get a bit less than 2 years of protection could be less if winters are extra harsh. Still, after paint correction and ceramic coating I don't have to worry about scratches. Once the coating is gone I do a de-contamination, mild polishing if needed and ceramic again. I never, ever use a brush to remove snow use a leaf blower.
Old 07-30-23, 01:39 PM
SonicRob99
Pit Crew

Received 428 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Car Covers?

Is there an “official Lexus accessory” or other recommendation for a soft car cover for the IS500? Doesn’t need to be bulletproof, I’m garaged 99% of the time but trying to cut down on dust (we live in a very windy area), insect spots, etc when our garage door is left open all day while my kids play, go in and out, etc. or in the rare event I do need to park outside overnight or extended weekend somewhere.
Old 07-30-23, 01:48 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

See also 3IS thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html
The following users liked this post:
SonicRob99 (07-31-23)
Old 07-30-23, 11:09 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SonicRob99
Is there an “official Lexus accessory” or other recommendation for a soft car cover for the IS500? Doesn’t need to be bulletproof, I’m garaged 99% of the time but trying to cut down on dust (we live in a very windy area), insect spots, etc when our garage door is left open all day while my kids play, go in and out, etc. or in the rare event I do need to park outside overnight or extended weekend somewhere.
Cover Craft makes one for the IS500 specifically now but I never bought it lol.
The following users liked this post:
SonicRob99 (07-31-23)
Old 07-31-23, 12:50 PM
SonicRob99
Pit Crew

Received 428 Likes on 126 Posts

thanks mac, I’ll check it out for sure!