IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance. Part 2 2022 Sales & Delivery Discussions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-22, 09:02 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by Carolina50
Mic tap....oh...turning my mic on. Ok inquiring minds. It was a packed, busy and annoying week. Yes, it was Elektra and I that got hit last Tuesday by a lady that ran a red light. Haven’t even made the first payment and at 335 miles. Passenger side wheel, fender and part of the door are damaged. Preliminary estimate is $2,638. I expect it to be more because the wheel took the brunt of it. While having my temper tantrum before getting out I expected to see more. She’s currently hanging out at a Lexus Certified Shop and currently no idea on how long she will there. Hope I can get a better idea tomorrow. Currently have a 2020 Elantra with 60,000 miles and Minnesota tags and I can tell she’s gone through hell! Never had a rental with over 10,000 but this too shall pass. I am fine and yes, I am still pissed, having withdrawals and still having temper tantrums!!!
$2638 sounds like a lot less than I expected given how expensive Lexus parts are and complicated the paint is. Hope the repair goes quickly and smoothly and looks perfect.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
Carolina50 (04-24-22), Vitveet (07-23-22)
Old 04-24-22, 09:15 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Carolina - I am so sorry to ear about your accident but I am confident she'll be back on the road in no time as with the smiles that every miles this car brings to all their owners!! To be honest, I would have been extremely furious so you have every right to be mad as hell!! I can't understand how people can run a red light?!? I mean seriously, as a driver, you are to pay attention to the road so how do you go through an intersection and not aware of the lights! In addition to insurance claim, I think I would actually launch a civil lawsuit and sue the crapoola out of her...
The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Carolina50 (04-24-22), DLPTony (04-24-22), giS (04-24-22)
Old 04-24-22, 09:28 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Hopefully Carolina wasn't injured. No point in suing if he wasn't; you can't sue if you don't have damages.
Old 04-24-22, 09:33 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ I am happy that he wasn't injured and I think he confirmed that, but I would find a way to make this person pay for loss of value, emotional distress, loss of use and so on.
The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Carolina50 (04-24-22), DLPTony (04-24-22), giS (04-24-22)
Old 04-24-22, 09:35 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
I can't understand how people can run a red light?!? I mean seriously, as a driver, you are to pay attention to the road so how do you go through an intersection and not aware of the lights!
wthrman, it's the worst it's ever been. 60% of drivers in the US should not have a license. I wish it was like Germany where you have to pass a real test. It wouldn't be a perfect solution but it would take a lot of bad drivers off the road.

In the US as long as you have a pulse you can get a license. The person who hit Carolina probably has no business driving a car.

The following 2 users liked this post by LH1:
Carolina50 (04-24-22), wthrman2 (04-24-22)
Old 04-24-22, 09:35 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

So a frivolous lawsuit? Courts really don't like those. Loss of use is non-existent since he has a rental. No court is going to recognize "emotional distress" for not having a Lexus for a while; and to establish an actual emotional injury, Carolina would need medical evidence. Loss of value is a quagmire that arguably doesn't exist.
The following 2 users liked this post by AmbyBomb:
Brandonfu (04-24-22), Vitveet (07-23-22)
Old 04-24-22, 10:20 AM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 282 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Carolina50
Mic tap....oh...turning my mic on. Ok inquiring minds. It was a packed, busy and annoying week. Yes, it was Elektra and I that got hit last Tuesday by a lady that ran a red light. Haven’t even made the first payment and at 335 miles. Passenger side wheel, fender and part of the door are damaged. Preliminary estimate is $2,638. I expect it to be more because the wheel took the brunt of it. While having my temper tantrum before getting out I expected to see more. She’s currently hanging out at a Lexus Certified Shop and currently no idea on how long she will there. Hope I can get a better idea tomorrow. Currently have a 2020 Elantra with 60,000 miles and Minnesota tags and I can tell she’s gone through hell! Never had a rental with over 10,000 but this too shall pass. I am fine and yes, I am still pissed, having withdrawals and still having temper tantrums!!!
That sucks. I hope everything gets taken care of quickly and without problems. Good there were no serious injuries.
The following 3 users liked this post by Renault:
Carolina50 (04-24-22), DLPTony (04-24-22), wthrman2 (04-24-22)
Old 04-24-22, 10:48 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
wthrman, it's the worst it's ever been. 60% of drivers in the US should not have a license. I wish it was like Germany where you have to pass a real test. It wouldn't be a perfect solution but it would take a lot of bad drivers off the road.

In the US as long as you have a pulse you can get a license. The person who hit Carolina probably has no business driving a car.
The majority if people around here don't even have a license or insurance. Seriously, every single person I know who has been hit was hit by someone with no license or insurance. It's insane.

Carolina, I'm so glad you're alright. I'm sure you've heard it before, but cars are just stuff. It can be fixed, but sometimes your health isn't as fortunate. And you didn't get arrested for going ape **** on the dumbest who hit you so there's a plus too
The following 2 users liked this post by 95bat:
Carolina50 (04-24-22), DLPTony (04-24-22)
Old 04-24-22, 11:01 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
And you didn't get arrested for going ape **** on the dumbest who hit you so there's a plus too
Oh my God, 100% this.

It would NOT be a Grey Hulk situation for me.

Call. The. PoPo.
The following users liked this post:
Carolina50 (04-24-22)
Old 04-24-22, 01:18 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 749 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
So a frivolous lawsuit? Courts really don't like those. Loss of use is non-existent since he has a rental. No court is going to recognize "emotional distress" for not having a Lexus for a while; and to establish an actual emotional injury, Carolina would need medical evidence. Loss of value is a quagmire that arguably doesn't exist.
Completely agree that emotional distress would be a nonstarter in this situation.

But the bar for loss of use & loss of value seems to be much lower in parts of the States. In Texas, for example, loss of use is recoverable and can be valued at what is equivalent to the thing you no longer have access to, so a Hyundai rental would fall short of not having your $65k new Lexus. But had they instead provided a competing brand’s luxury rental car that would pretty much negate the loss of use claim. Of course, insurance companies don’t volunteer to pay for the more expensive option, but that seems to change when you push back. And you don’t even have to get the rental as that’s just a proxy used for valuation purposes, can just take the $$ instead.

Similarly loss of value is pretty easily recoverable. There are 3rd party companies who will create valuation reports detailing the difference between a clean title car and one with your specific accident history, and in my experience insurance companies stop balking at paying for loss of value when presented with that info.

Years ago, the trailer of a moving company side swiped my then daily driver (an older Camry Hybrid). Without much of a fight their insurance paid ~$6000 total for loss of use and loss of value, plus ~$2200 for the actual repairs. Even when my motorcycle was stolen in college my own insurance company oddly volunteered to pay for loss of use $$$ up to the settlement date (ended up getting more $$ than I what spent buying the motorcycle new two years earlier). Don’t get me wrong, most are happy with just getting the rental car and having their car fixed, but my stubborn Irishness enjoys fighting the man.

Related, in many states in case like this the opposing party is also on the hook for your litigation costs if your pre-litigation settlement offer ends up being within a certain percentage of what a court/jury eventually awards. Serves as a deterrent to the more powerful party unnecessarily dragging things out. So once you’ve produced documentation supporting your claimed damages, insurance companies become quick to payout when you mention that $600/hour litigator buddy/neighbor/cousin/etc of yours.
Old 04-24-22, 01:55 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Originally Posted by jororo
Completely agree that emotional distress would be a nonstarter in this situation.

But the bar for loss of use & loss of value seems to be much lower in parts of the States. In Texas, for example, loss of use is recoverable and can be valued at what is equivalent to the thing you no longer have access to, so a Hyundai rental would fall short of not having your $65k new Lexus. But had they instead provided a competing brand’s luxury rental car that would pretty much negate the loss of use claim. Of course, insurance companies don’t volunteer to pay for the more expensive option, but that seems to change when you push back. And you don’t even have to get the rental as that’s just a proxy used for valuation purposes, can just take the $$ instead.

Similarly loss of value is pretty easily recoverable. There are 3rd party companies who will create valuation reports detailing the difference between a clean title car and one with your specific accident history, and in my experience insurance companies stop balking at paying for loss of value when presented with that info.

Years ago, the trailer of a moving company side swiped my then daily driver (an older Camry Hybrid). Without much of a fight their insurance paid ~$6000 total for loss of use and loss of value, plus ~$2200 for the actual repairs. Even when my motorcycle was stolen in college my own insurance company oddly volunteered to pay for loss of use $$$ up to the settlement date (ended up getting more $$ than I what spent buying the motorcycle new two years earlier). Don’t get me wrong, most are happy with just getting the rental car and having their car fixed, but my stubborn Irishness enjoys fighting the man.

Related, in many states in case like this the opposing party is also on the hook for your litigation costs if your pre-litigation settlement offer ends up being within a certain percentage of what a court/jury eventually awards. Serves as a deterrent to the more powerful party unnecessarily dragging things out. So once you’ve produced documentation supporting your claimed damages, insurance companies become quick to payout when you mention that $600/hour litigator buddy/neighbor/cousin/etc of yours.
Having defended against loss of value claims, those reports are often total garbage, written by "experts" who aren't really experts but just write a report based on some garbage made up metrics. Unless the car was written off, or I was injured, or the repair costs were high, I wouldn't bother. It's not worth the hassle.

​​​
Brandonfu (04-24-22)
Old 04-24-22, 03:28 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

I thought insurance companies cover loss of value constantly? The car will have diminished value now with an accident on the record. The insurance should cover that, plus repairs.

In other news, the transmission has been impressing me lately! We cruised up to the lake/river yesterday and it was so smooth I couldn't feel it shift while cruising over. Then I popped it in manual and nailed a 1-2 shift at 7200ish RPM and the car shifted so hard the back end stepped out a little and traction control kicked on It is a blast!
The following 2 users liked this post by 95bat:
Carolina50 (04-24-22), DLPTony (04-24-22)
Old 04-24-22, 03:36 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

It's jurisdiction specific but in general, loss of value claims are speculative. It's hard to value a loss that hasn't actually occurred and that changes depending on things like location, the market, vehicle type, usage, and when the loss is said to crystallize. This is why in some jurisdictions such claims are virtually nonexistent.
Brandonfu (04-24-22)
Old 04-26-22, 09:15 AM
Apv
Driver School Candidate

Received 87 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I can’t find an IS500 in Florida at all. Did they stop making them?
acura of pines has one used for 72k
Atomic silver on red
https://www.acuraofpembrokepines.com...ource=cars.com
Brandonfu (04-26-22)
Old 04-29-22, 11:06 AM
drawg22
Driver

Received 98 Likes on 46 Posts

Just got notified of this one in Memphis.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=329143977
The following 3 users liked this post by drawg22:
arentz07 (04-29-22), Carolina50 (04-29-22), V8Senpai (04-30-22)

Quick Reply: The V8 is back: IS 500 F SPORT Performance. Part 2 2022 Sales & Delivery Discussions