IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Just production rumors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-22, 12:53 AM
CyberNinja
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Just production rumors?

So I just put in a buyer’s order and a $1k deposit for an IS500 about a little over a week ago and my dealer hasn’t told me anything (at least not yet) about production being stopped or halted or anything to that extent other than a 6 month waiting period which is understandable considering the current supply chain circumstances. I know it’s just a setback because of the lack of fuel pumps from their supplier, but it’s just hard to believe that the entire IS500 line of cars would be killed off over something so simple. How worried should I be? Is the halting of production just rumors? Or should I just look for a different car at this point?

Edit: After doing just a little bit of digging, I found that the IS500 fuel pumps (or Lexus fuel pumps in general) are made (or where their supplier makes them) are in China (I could be wrong as I also saw Malaysia on some sites) as that would make sense as they’re currently having lockdowns. Being as these tend to be temporary, although terribly disruptive, I remain cautiously optimistic that I might still get my hands on a IS500 by Christmas.

Last edited by CyberNinja; 06-08-22 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Clarity and Update
The following 2 users liked this post by CyberNinja:
DLPTony (06-09-22), GoBrandon (06-08-22)
Old 06-08-22, 03:37 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about it either because while the rumor is floating around, I just can't see how Lexus North America would ditch the IS 500, especially after creating/launching the Performance brand, after 1 year. I am not saying it is impossible but I would say it is very unlikely, however, I don't think that Lexus will build a lot of these and they may do what they did this year which is just build them randomly (color combo) and assigned them at various dealers. That means your dealer may not get exactly what you want but they may be able to do allocation trades before the vehicle arrives at dealers. That is what mine had to do and it worked out fine other than make me stressed for about 1 month or 2 on whether if I would get one. Bottom line, the fact you are willing to wait to get your hand on one is already in your favor

As an aside, a lesson of life for all of you debating whether to get one or not, never wait too long to get the car you want and I am some glad I got mine when I did. I had told a friend of mine to order a Corolla hatch manual last December when I orders the gf's Corolla and told him, if it gets here in the spring and you don't want it, there will be no worries as they'll just sell it. He didn't listen to me and decided he wanted to drive his old car (10 years old) for 1 more year so he wants to order a 2023...According to a reviewer on youtube that is quite credible in Canada, the Corolla will no longer be available with a manual in 2023 except for the GR!! Now he is scrambling to call various dealers to see if they can locate a 2022 that is not sold and if so, he will likely not get the color or combo he wants. Moral of the story, you want something, you get when it is available because car company can change their mind on a dime. CyberNinja, this doesn't apply to you I know, but I just wanted to share a little anecdote
The following 4 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Answer (06-08-22), CyberNinja (06-08-22), DLPTony (06-09-22), GoBrandon (06-08-22)
Old 06-08-22, 05:16 AM
CyberNinja
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about it either because while the rumor is floating around, I just can't see how Lexus North America would ditch the IS 500, especially after creating/launching the Performance brand, after 1 year. I am not saying it is impossible but I would say it is very unlikely, however, I don't think that Lexus will build a lot of these and they may do what they did this year which is just build them randomly (color combo) and assigned them at various dealers. That means your dealer may not get exactly what you want but they may be able to do allocation trades before the vehicle arrives at dealers. That is what mine had to do and it worked out fine other than make me stressed for about 1 month or 2 on whether if I would get one. Bottom line, the fact you are willing to wait to get your hand on one is already in your favor

As an aside, a lesson of life for all of you debating whether to get one or not, never wait too long to get the car you want and I am some glad I got mine when I did. I had told a friend of mine to order a Corolla hatch manual last December when I orders the gf's Corolla and told him, if it gets here in the spring and you don't want it, there will be no worries as they'll just sell it. He didn't listen to me and decided he wanted to drive his old car (10 years old) for 1 more year so he wants to order a 2023...According to a reviewer on youtube that is quite credible in Canada, the Corolla will no longer be available with a manual in 2023 except for the GR!! Now he is scrambling to call various dealers to see if they can locate a 2022 that is not sold and if so, he will likely not get the color or combo he wants. Moral of the story, you want something, you get when it is available because car company can change their mind on a dime. CyberNinja, this doesn't apply to you I know, but I just wanted to share a little anecdote
Now that you mentioned it, the odds of this happening gave me a ‘bigger’ sigh of relief. The dealership said that they’ve only sold just 1 IS500 since release and it was a LE. I was already planning on keeping this thing decades after the lease is over and the anecdote made me want one that much more lol
The following 2 users liked this post by CyberNinja:
giS (06-10-22), wthrman2 (06-08-22)
Old 06-08-22, 09:59 AM
martkat
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberNinja
So I just put in a buyer’s order and a $1k deposit for an IS500 about a little over a week ago and my dealer hasn’t told me anything (at least not yet) about production being stopped or halted or anything to that extent other than a 6 month waiting period which is understandable considering the current supply chain circumstances. I know it’s just a setback because of the lack of fuel pumps from their supplier, but it’s just hard to believe that the entire IS500 line of cars would be killed off over something so simple. How worried should I be? Is the halting of production just rumors? Or should I just look for a different car at this point?

Edit: After doing just a little bit of digging, I found that the IS500 fuel pumps (or Lexus fuel pumps in general) are made (or where their supplier makes them) are in China (I could be wrong as I also saw Malaysia on some sites) as that would make sense as they’re currently having lockdowns. Being as these tend to be temporary, although terribly disruptive, I remain cautiously optimistic that I might still get my hands on a IS500 by Christmas.
I'm on a list with two dealers that didn't require a deposit and a third that took my Amex to hold my position (3rd) in line. I too don't mind waiting even if it's a year from now but all the rumors and uncertainty are not very comforting.
The following 3 users liked this post by martkat:
CyberNinja (06-12-22), DLPTony (06-09-22), giS (06-10-22)