IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Front Apron Separation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-22, 07:17 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
All good points. Ultimately it’s moot if the paint matches perfectly and hopefully you’d be able to tell immediately when picking up the car. I really doubt the paint would be off if it’s coming painted from Tahara. But who knows.
I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure they come unpainted and unprimed when they are sold as a standalone part. That’s why some owners are concerned about the color not matching.
The following 2 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
DLPTony (07-17-22), wthrman2 (07-17-22)
Old 07-17-22, 07:49 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

That is my thought so too, they are coming black and painted locally however, anything is possible. The only way to be sure would be calling the parts department and ask for a front bumper and see if they come in different color. I know when i ordered a bumper plug (diffuser), the parts manager wanted to confirm that it was a black color because he could only see one color available. So it is possible that some parts do come pre painted, but not sure. When i had ordered a bodykit on my 2009 TSX, the front bumper was a whole new unit as with the rear and they came pre painted. I am curious and will call tomorrow to see what they say
Old 07-17-22, 08:00 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Do the local painters use OEM paint? I’m not talking about having the paint codes and mixing it themselves. I mean a straight up can of the same stuff they use in Tahara. And also do they do all the layers, same spray technique? If the answer is no to either question then IMO it’s not really a factory replacement and I wouldn’t accept that either.
Old 07-17-22, 11:24 AM
silk69
Rookie

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SLOGTR
I personally wouldn’t replace the bumper. The paint is almost damn near impossible to color match for a body shop. If you talk to a knowledgeable body shop they will tell you plastic paints differently than metal and it causes the color to be shades different. How pissed are you going to be when the bumper is a shade different and does the same thing?

I’m going to come up with a permanent fix despite what the other person that quoted your reply. It’s amazing how much aftermarket parts can improve over factory issues from the manufacturer. It is easier for someone to fix an issue than the manufacturer go thru their process.
I appreciate all the input on this issue.
I know they are going to detach the bumper once again to fix the issue sometime next week. This is what worries me. The more they work on it the more loose the bumper pins might get.
Even with the bumper replacement as per the dealer is going to take months to get the part with the current part shortage. The dealer said that there was an other Lexus RC with similar issue but for the rare bumper.
In the RC scenario Lexus won't deploy the FTS folks and rely on dealership bodyshop expertise to fix the issue as its not a safety related issue as per Lexus.

My biggest concern is safety with the front bumper issue. Is it safe to drive this car with this sagging bumper? I'm not sure how the new models bumpers are attached but as per body shop the new bumpers are flimsy when compared with the previous year IS bumpers.
I'm afraid that a high speed or a road imperfections might bring the whole thing collapse on front tires which can potentially cause an accident.
This though in my head always scares me from pushing the car to limit.

I'm thinking if Lexus can't find the fix this time. I will ask them to order the bumper and also will request them to get some glue or other ways to prevent the sag for time being under warranty.
If the bumper is painted from japan then I expect might be a close match but if its just a single color bumper which requires body shop mix and paint in the USA then it will be a hard pass for me.

Hopefully we can find more info on this issue.
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (07-17-22)
Old 07-17-22, 01:31 PM
is500le
Pit Crew

Received 140 Likes on 77 Posts

If it's possible to get it solved by gluing, that's what i'd do.
Old 07-17-22, 09:19 PM
1SLOGTR
9th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by silk69
I appreciate all the input on this issue.
I know they are going to detach the bumper once again to fix the issue sometime next week. This is what worries me. The more they work on it the more loose the bumper pins might get.
Even with the bumper replacement as per the dealer is going to take months to get the part with the current part shortage. The dealer said that there was an other Lexus RC with similar issue but for the rare bumper.
In the RC scenario Lexus won't deploy the FTS folks and rely on dealership bodyshop expertise to fix the issue as its not a safety related issue as per Lexus.

My biggest concern is safety with the front bumper issue. Is it safe to drive this car with this sagging bumper? I'm not sure how the new models bumpers are attached but as per body shop the new bumpers are flimsy when compared with the previous year IS bumpers.
I'm afraid that a high speed or a road imperfections might bring the whole thing collapse on front tires which can potentially cause an accident.
This though in my head always scares me from pushing the car to limit.

I'm thinking if Lexus can't find the fix this time. I will ask them to order the bumper and also will request them to get some glue or other ways to prevent the sag for time being under warranty.
If the bumper is painted from japan then I expect might be a close match but if its just a single color bumper which requires body shop mix and paint in the USA then it will be a hard pass for me.

Hopefully we can find more info on this issue.
it is fine to drive and will not get into the tires. I have personally removed the front bumper and can tell you that it will not. The car is safe to drive.

Originally Posted by is500le
If it's possible to get it solved by gluing, that's what i'd do.
There is absolutely no way that I would consider solving it by glue.

giS (07-19-22)
Old 07-19-22, 04:45 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Just as an FYI, I have reported the front apron separation to both dealers (where I bought it and where I have it serviced) just so that it is on file and to make Lexus Canada aware of the situation. My situation is far less serious than some of the pics I have seen so far but there is a small gap for sure and I want to make sure it is on file and documented properly.
The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
DLPTony (07-19-22), giS (07-19-22)
Old 07-19-22, 06:54 AM
giS
Intermediate

Received 670 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Just as an FYI, I have reported the front apron separation to both dealers (where I bought it and where I have it serviced) just so that it is on file and to make Lexus Canada aware of the situation. My situation is far less serious than some of the pics I have seen so far but there is a small gap for sure and I want to make sure it is on file and documented properly.
what does yours look like ?
Old 07-19-22, 07:20 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

I assume that you want to see the gap on my IS 500

Old 07-19-22, 07:35 AM
giS
Intermediate

I assume that you want to see the gap on my IS 500

haha yes. Okay I was trying to gauge mine. I don’t have this separation at all, so I was curious what the minimal separation looked like. Thanks
DLPTony (07-19-22)
Old 07-19-22, 07:41 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

^ That is nothing.
Old 07-19-22, 07:59 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

That angle is showing the worst of it - from the side, you can't tell at all. It has been like that almost since day 1 and it doesn't show signs of getting worse but that I am watching that crack carefully and will document it if it shows it is widening
DLPTony (07-19-22)
Old 07-19-22, 08:14 AM
giS
Intermediate

That angle is showing the worst of it - from the side, you can't tell at all. It has been like that almost since day 1 and it doesn't show signs of getting worse but that I am watching that crack carefully and will document it if it shows it is widening
don’t say that’s what she said…. don’t say that’s what she said … don’t say that’s what she said..
The following 2 users liked this post by giS:
DLPTony (07-19-22), wthrman2 (07-19-22)
Old 07-19-22, 10:13 AM
silk69
Rookie

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by giS
haha yes. Okay I was trying to gauge mine. I don’t have this separation at all, so I was curious what the minimal separation looked like. Thanks
Yea you will need a top angle shot or back angle shot to understand the bumper gap.
My bumper was similar to that at the beginning but the Dallas highway drives and bumpy roads made it worse.
This car screams for high speed drives. We can't baby it for such a pesky bumper issue.
I think all those videos with tracking IS500 might not have this issue - "They track on perfect even roads"
We drive our cars on day to day roads with all imperfections and even potholes.

@wthrman2 I also love how the Canadian version comes with headlight washers
wthrman2 (07-19-22)
Old 07-19-22, 03:27 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,999 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by giS
don’t say that’s what she said…. don’t say that’s what she said … don’t say that’s what she said..
LOLOL!!!

Right!
wthrman2 (07-20-22)

Quick Reply: Front Apron Separation?