IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Front Apron Separation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-22, 09:41 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,969 Likes on 1,054 Posts

The poor folks in Japan are going to have to enter a lottery to get the First Edition IS500. Little do they know they're entering a lottery for a defective car, misshapen apron and all.
Old 07-21-22, 10:10 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

^^ Unless they finally figure out some of these issues prior to launching it. I mean the CEL thread has been quiet lately so that is encouraging but even that one, the cause of the issue is known. I think right now, the only unresolved issue is the front apron - The fuel pump so far seems to have been limited to a single forum user so far.
Old 07-21-22, 10:34 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ Unless they finally figure out some of these issues prior to launching it. I mean the CEL thread has been quiet lately so that is encouraging but even that one, the cause of the issue is known. I think right now, the only unresolved issue is the front apron - The fuel pump so far seems to have been limited to a single forum user so far.
To be quite honest, I suspect that with this vehicle now being released to the JDM market, most of these issues will receives fixes. Over my course of a year going very in depth in the Lexus world, it's become apparent that despite sharing the same parent company, Lexus Japan and Lexus USA have little to no communication whatsoever. Heck, even Lexus Canada and Lexus USA don't communicate and we literally share a border. Given that the engineering team for this vehicle is likely in Japan, I suspect that if they become aware of issues on the JDM version, it is more likely to go straight to the ears of those that can fix it, versus us in North America that must first relay to Lexus USA / Canada who then needs to relay our concerns to Lexus Japan. In a way we will be circumventing the middle man.
The following 4 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
Carolina50 (07-21-22), DLPTony (07-21-22), macmaster (07-21-22), wthrman2 (07-21-22)
Old 07-21-22, 10:43 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

I couldn't agree with you more!!! Let's just hope we'll be able to find out from IS 500 owners in Japan if that issue develops, and what needed to be done to fix it. As you said, these branches seem to operate in a vacuum and not cross share information. Last rumor I heard is they were going to try to glue the bumper with maple syrup up here but given how warm that part gets, I suspect it will get too runny and we'll be back at square one (lol)
The following 3 users liked this post by wthrman2:
DLPTony (07-21-22), macmaster (07-21-22), TipsyTonio (07-21-22)
Old 07-21-22, 02:56 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Given that the engineering team for this vehicle is likely in Japan, I suspect that if they become aware of issues on the JDM version, it is more likely to go straight to the ears of those that can fix it, versus us in North America that must first relay to Lexus USA / Canada who then needs to relay our concerns to Lexus Japan. In a way we will be circumventing the middle man.
I think you’re correct. Thanks for the super-informative post earlier!!
The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
TipsyTonio (07-21-22), wthrman2 (07-21-22)
Old 08-03-22, 06:05 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

I am just curious if any members have any new update to report on this issue?
Old 08-04-22, 08:42 AM
Grigsbyt1
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

please let me know what lexus said. mine is doing the exact same thing and its only at 4.5k miles.
Old 08-04-22, 08:45 AM
silk69
Rookie

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by silk69
As we both are in the same boat with our dealership this is what I have done and also believe it might help the other IS500 owners with this issue.
  • Open a case with Lexus corporate so that your case reaches your Lexus regional manager "cases are specific to region".
  • Update the dealer about your open case with Lexus, So that the dealer can create a case file to track the history of the fix done so far for the vehicle and also communicate with Lexus to get the best possible solution.
As you guys know the history of my bumper issue getting fixed at multiple dealerships for multiple times with no permanent resolution. This was the third time they took off the whole bumper to find the cause.
I just picked up my car few hours ago for the third time and this is the latest update that I got from them.
  • As per the body shop manager they checked every possible location to find the cause and also took images to update Lexus on their findings. They couldn't find the specific cause even after multiple tries.
  • At this point Lexus has no available solution for this issue and the corporate left the repair decision to the dealer body shop experts.
  • The respective bumper pins are glued to the bracket that is close to the fender as a temp solution.
  • If the issues arises in future, the best possible solution will be a bumper replacement "having a case history can expedite this process but expect delays with part shortage" or reapply adhesive glue .

I attached a Facebook group response where an IS500 owner is already working on getting the new bumper .

I just drove 25miles @80mph to test the adhesive and so far its holding on good. I will update if I come across the issue again.
I know it requires time and effort to put up with this issue but I personally feel its worth it for this V8 sedan .
Also kudos to the dealership for being proactive to find the cause and fix to make an IS500 owner happy.
Hope this was helpful.
UPDATE:

I drove 400miles after the adhesive repair.
So far so good. I no longer see the gap or the pins popping out.
The Lexus corporate called and confirmed that they will look into other solutions if this issue pops out again.
For now I would suggest to get the adhesive job done at the dealership under warranty including the Lexus corporate to document the temporary solution.
I will wait till the Japanese markets finds a solution for this issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by silk69:
DLPTony (08-04-22), wthrman2 (08-04-22)
Old 08-04-22, 10:43 AM
Grigsbyt1
Driver

Originally Posted by silk69
UPDATE:

I drove 400miles after the adhesive repair.
So far so good. I no longer see the gap or the pins popping out.
The Lexus corporate called and confirmed that they will look into other solutions if this issue pops out again.
For now I would suggest to get the adhesive job done at the dealership under warranty including the Lexus corporate to document the temporary solution.
I will wait till the Japanese markets finds a solution for this issue.

so mine apparently won’t be covered under warranty because there is the ever so slightest scratch on the front left corner bottom of my front bumper. They said that that caused the large separation on the apron. What do we have to do to get this fixed under a recall?! The dealer is wanting to charge like $400 and my local body shop is about the same.
Old 08-04-22, 11:16 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Grigsbyt1
so mine apparently won’t be covered under warranty because there is the ever so slightest scratch on the front left corner bottom of my front bumper. They said that that caused the large separation on the apron. What do we have to do to get this fixed under a recall?! The dealer is wanting to charge like $400 and my local body shop is about the same.
They are wrong. I can tell you from experience that a slight scratch to your lower bumper does not cause this separation issue, and I have photographic evidence to prove it.

Looks pretty sexy right?
​​​​​​​

You'll want to click and zoom in on this one:

Old 08-04-22, 11:44 AM
Grigsbyt1
Driver

While I agree and already knew that, good luck convincing Lexus warranty of that.
Old 08-04-22, 11:54 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

While I agree and already knew that, good luck convincing Lexus warranty of that.
hey I don’t have to convince them of anything, my bumper is fine! That was for YOU!
Old 08-04-22, 01:43 PM
18borat
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 19 Posts

That is exactly what mine said as well. That is unbelievable on a brand new car. Are you from Ontario too?
Old 08-04-22, 02:02 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Show your dealership my photos, dear god. If that changes their mind, we can figure out later how you can thank me.

The following users liked this post:
Grigsbyt1 (08-04-22)
Old 08-05-22, 07:54 AM
18borat
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 19 Posts

This really is not the level of service I ever expected out of Lexus to be honest.

Quick Reply: Front Apron Separation?