IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Front Apron Separation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-23, 11:39 AM
8th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
What do you hate about GA? You mean all those colorful murals @DLPTony photographs with his car isn't enough to make you stay?
Hah! The cost of living is clearly nice but otherwise I've been trying to get out of here for quite a while. Was finally in a spot to make a real effort immediately before the economy started having a seizure. But again, continued low(er) cost of living for a while! Silver lining and all that stuff.
Old 02-03-23, 01:58 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,831 Posts

What do you hate about GA? You mean all those colorful murals @DLPTony photographs with his car isn't enough to make you stay?
HEY!!! I take pictures of other……..stuff. 😂
Old 02-06-23, 10:01 AM
GoHorns
Pit Crew

Received 199 Likes on 60 Posts

I contacted Lexus asking about the warranty replacement. And the following is the response I received.
Thank you for contacting Lexus.

We are sorry to learn of the concern with your 2022 Lexus IS 500 regarding the front bumper and appreciate your contact.

We have conducted a search for any recalls or Service Campaigns for this concern.

Results for Vehicle Identification Number (VIN): JTHAP1D22N5001936

There are no open Safety Recalls or Service Campaigns for this vehicle. This means your vehicle is not affected by any recalls and no further action is needed. If we do initiate any type of Safety Recall Campaign (SSC) in the future, you will be notified directly via first class mail. To confirm if your vehicle has any open recall, please visit https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...safety-recalls.

Please be aware the information you have provided is used in combination with warranty claims and other customer contacts to track trends with our vehicles. If in the future a Special Service Campaign (SSC)/recall or warranty enhancement is issued that would cover your specific issue, and you have already made repairs to the vehicle, Lexus would review your repairs for reimbursement at that time.

We have received your most recent comment and added it your original case #220921000849. Please be advised any additional comments will be added to your original case number, and any new cases created will be automatically closed with no response.
Old 02-06-23, 09:04 PM
IssaV8
Intermediate

Received 417 Likes on 166 Posts

Curious. I'll try to get some official documentation regarding this. It did sound like it came from up above for this and that it was not my dealer making this call.
Old 02-09-23, 08:34 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Y'all gotta stop freaking out like yous the first person to have a Lexus with a separating front apron.

The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
arentz07 (02-10-23), wthrman2 (02-10-23)
Old 02-10-23, 02:18 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,686 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Well that is actually encouraging to see it is not just the 500 and not just the 2021+ Lexus IS
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (02-10-23)
Old 06-07-23, 04:35 PM
ILikeBlue
Driver

Received 221 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Tracking Front End Separation cases

Hey everyone, sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead. I started collecting data for the front end separation issue to get as many instances saved in one location to compile and send to someone who might listen.

Everyone on this thread that said they had the separation issue I sent a DM. If you can take a few minutes, send me the following:
1. Picture of the separation, from the top/side showing the tabs exposed.
2. Last 4 digits of the VIN
3. Estimated mileage when you noticed it

I appreciate all of your time and thank you so much for potentially helping this issue get resolved for all of us.
The following 5 users liked this post by ILikeBlue:
arentz07 (06-07-23), gcmak (06-09-23), Murmi (06-08-23), vpar23 (06-08-23), wthrman2 (07-17-23)
Old 07-14-23, 06:38 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts

I had my 2022 LE warrantied for this issue today, they just replaced the bracket behind the bumper. It's way better, but still a touch noticeable.

Lexus is aware of the issue, we got their attention, but for now it's just replacing the bracket and hoping that resolves it. Im thankful my dealer took it in and did it.

The real fix here is a new part for both the bracket and the bumper.

The following 5 users liked this post by Pittsy:
arentz07 (07-14-23), hen555 (07-16-23), MYIS500 (07-14-23), tapjoy (07-15-23), wthrman2 (07-17-23)
Old 07-17-23, 05:59 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,686 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Pitsy - Keep us posted. Some have said that the repair helped initially but eventually returned....I am curious how will yours fair out. I am just not keen on having my bumper removed and re-installed if its not gonna solve the issue and I have the option of a new but locally painted bumper.

IlikeRed - I will send you a message with my info in the next day or so....Thanks for your help in identifying and troubleshooting this problem
Old 07-19-23, 12:08 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Pitsy - Keep us posted. Some have said that the repair helped initially but eventually returned....I am curious how will yours fair out. I am just not keen on having my bumper removed and re-installed if its not gonna solve the issue and I have the option of a new but locally painted bumper.

IlikeRed - I will send you a message with my info in the next day or so....Thanks for your help in identifying and troubleshooting this problem
Yeah, the separation is already back. It's no fault of the dealer though. Lexus said replace the bracket, so thats what they did. Again, the real fix will be a new bumper and bracket PN. I just took it in and had them do this to put another case on lexus' list of is500's with bumper issues. Everyone should be bringing their car in and making a case. Lexus will make a new fix for it if they receive enough complaint.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (07-19-23)
Old 07-19-23, 12:38 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Yeah, the separation is already back. It's no fault of the dealer though. Lexus said replace the bracket, so thats what they did. Again, the real fix will be a new bumper and bracket PN. I just took it in and had them do this to put another case on lexus' list of is500's with bumper issues. Everyone should be bringing their car in and making a case. Lexus will make a new fix for it if they receive enough complaint.
Lemon Law. Look into it. I'd get all your money back and move on.
Old 07-19-23, 12:42 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Lemon Law. Look into it. I'd get all your money back and move on.

I'm not going to lemon law a car because the bumper is sagging an 8th of an inch. Lemon laws were created for catastrophic or major issues with a car that prevented normal operation, but people who have nothing better to do than complain about tiny imperfections and insist the car be purchased back. Besides, lemon law cars have to have an open repair order for more than 60 days which dealers won't let happen over an issue like this.

Im enjoying this car way too much to let a tiny bumper imperfection make me want to get rid of it. It'll get fixed once a fix is released.
Old 07-19-23, 12:48 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

In California (and New Mexico where I bought my car) the Lemon Law is applicable when a reasonable number of attempts still fails to fix the problem. Doesn't matter if it's catastrophic or not, it fails to conform as a new vehicle is expected.

I guess in AZ you might be out of luck. A quick glance at the law dowsn't have the same verbiage as CA and NM.
Old 07-19-23, 12:54 PM
hotct
Pit Crew

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Everyone should be bringing their car in and making a case. Lexus will make a new fix for it if they receive enough complaint.
What exactly does "making a case" mean? I pointed out the issue when I took my car in for the first oil change. Had them let me take pictures underneath to show no scraping of the bumper. Made them make a note of everything.
Old 07-19-23, 01:01 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hotct
What exactly does "making a case" mean? I pointed out the issue when I took my car in for the first oil change. Had them let me take pictures underneath to show no scraping of the bumper. Made them make a note of everything.
Not whatever you did. By letting them think that scrapes on the bumper are a cause, you're not helping anyone's case.

I don't have apron separation and my front bumper is scraped to hell and back. Completely unrelated.

Quick Reply: Front Apron Separation?