IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Front Apron Separation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-22, 09:49 PM
silk69
Rookie

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool Is 500 bumper issue

Hello IS fanatics,

I'm proud owner of IS500 launch Edition 380/500. Beautiful car and I’m having lots of fun driving this car around especially on Dallas highways

I apologize in advance for the long post but I will try to make it as detail as possible so you guys can help me to find the right solution for this issue.

I had this car for 3 months and I have driven it for 1400 miles. The car came with XPel clear bra ultimate plus film pre-installed as a package from the dealership where I purchased the car.

2 weeks ago I noticed something unusual with my bumper fender clip on the driver side "the passenger side looks good for now". The bumper pins are loose and visible around part where it attaches to the fender. I took it to one of the local dealership and they said that the bumper bracket should be order and reinstalled. The whole wait and installation took a week. After driving the car out of dealership I still noticed the pins popping out and getting a bit worse than it was before the repair.

This dealer was quite unresponsive after work so I reached out to Lexus brand engagement service to get some help. They suggested for me to wait till the dealer gets back to me. A whole week passed by and the dealership won’t respond to my calls or requests to have another look into it. On top of that they blamed the Xpel installation for the issue and they said they can only help by applying an adhesive for 200$ out of pocket. This dealership went to extent saying that Lexus won't cover this under warranty "which I and other dealership think was a complete bull**** ”.

Anyways I dropped this dealership and took my car to near by reputed body shop and also to another Lexus dealership. They lifted the car for diagnosis and both of these locations were really surprised why this is happening to a brand new car without any signs of impact to the bumper or underneath the bumper.

I reached out to my out of the state dealership that sold me the car and spoke to their service manager. He was shocked how the initial dealer responded to my request and was more than happy to work this out with my new local Lexus dealership

I’m currently waiting for the dealerships to communicate and help me out with this situation. From what I heard they need to remove the bumper to find the cause and also authorization from Lexus on how to reinstall these new bumper model. They think a perfect factory fit might not be possible. Let's hope they find something .

It is strange to see so many of these new IS500's are having the same issue on the driver side. Hope we can find a solution or someone from Lexus corporate can look into this issue.

Last edited by silk69; 06-24-22 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-24-22, 11:52 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,330 Likes on 682 Posts

The dealer denying the work is absolutely in the wrong! This is 1000% a warranty repair.
The following 2 users liked this post by 95bat:
giS (06-25-22), wthrman2 (06-25-22)
Old 06-25-22, 08:32 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,999 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by silk69
Hello IS fanatics,

I'm proud owner of IS500 launch Edition 380/500. Beautiful car and I’m having lots of fun driving this car around especially on Dallas highways

I’m currently waiting for the dealerships to communicate and help me out with this situation. From what I heard they need to remove the bumper to find the cause and also authorization from Lexus on how to reinstall these new bumper model. They think a perfect factory fit might not be possible. Let's hope they find something .
Oh my goodness, this is effing bullcrap. You should name the dealer so everyone will know to avoid them if possible. I hope this gets resolved SOON for everyone who is affected.
Old 06-25-22, 08:41 AM
giS
Intermediate

Received 670 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by silk69
Hello IS fanatics,

I apologize in advance for the long post but I will try to make it as detail as possible so you guys can help me to find the right solution for this issue.

I had this car for 3 months and I have driven it for 1400 miles. The car came with XPel clear bra ultimate plus film pre-installed as a package from the dealership where I purchased the car.

2 weeks ago I noticed something unusual with my bumper fender clip on the driver side "the passenger side looks good for now". The bumper pins are loose and visible around part where it attaches to the fender. I took it to one of the local dealership and they said that the bumper bracket should be order and reinstalled. The whole wait and installation took a week. After driving the car out of dealership I still noticed the pins popping out and getting a bit worse than it was before the repair.

This dealer was quite unresponsive after work so I reached out to Lexus brand engagement service to get some help. They suggested for me to wait till the dealer gets back to me. A whole week passed by and the dealership won’t respond to my calls or requests to have another look into it. On top of that they blamed the Xpel installation for the issue and they said they can only help by applying an adhesive for 200$ out of pocket. This dealership went to extent saying that Lexus won't cover this under warranty "which I and other dealership think was a complete bull**** ”.

Anyways I dropped this dealership and took my car to near by reputed body shop and also to another Lexus dealership. They lifted the car for diagnosis and both of these locations were really surprised why this is happening to a brand new car without any signs of impact to the bumper or underneath the bumper.

I reached out to my out of the state dealership that sold me the car and spoke to their service manager. He was shocked how the initial dealer responded to my request and was more than happy to work this out with my new local Lexus dealership

It is strange to see so many of these new IS500's are having the same issue on the driver side. Hope we can find a solution or someone from Lexus corporate can look into this issue.

total Bs. I’d keep your attention to Lexus corporate for assistance. Unlike a dealer, the brand doesn’t want bad customer feelings.

also, it seems like most? Having this issue had ppf installed on their car?

Old 06-25-22, 08:59 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,330 Likes on 682 Posts

Originally Posted by giS
total Bs. I’d keep your attention to Lexus corporate for assistance. Unlike a dealer, the brand doesn’t want bad customer feelings.

Mine is starting to sag and I did not have PPF installed.

I dont see how a heat gun would heat the bumper bracket more than the car sitting outside on a 110+ degree day and the car should be prepared for that. They don't concentrate the heat on one spot, it would melt the PPF! That is complete BS, that dealer is full of ****.
The following 2 users liked this post by 95bat:
DLPTony (06-25-22), giS (06-25-22)
Old 06-25-22, 09:59 AM
Fman2118
Pit Crew

Received 317 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by giS

Dont know about your car, but mine and every other I’ve seen didn’t have the front fascia removed to apply XPEL PPF
Old 06-25-22, 10:39 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,185 Likes on 350 Posts

So far I am 6 months of ownership. Approaching 9,000 miles & mine is fine (Still intact) since day 1. My LE is 126/500.
The following 2 users liked this post by Moonman89:
giS (06-25-22), wthrman2 (06-25-22)
Old 06-25-22, 10:50 AM
giS
Intermediate

Received 670 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Fman2118
Dont know about your car, but mine and every other I’ve seen didn’t have the front fascia removed to apply XPEL PPF

was just a question. Thanks all
The following users liked this post:
Fman2118 (06-25-22)
Old 06-25-22, 10:54 AM
silk69
Rookie

Originally Posted by giS

I already bought this to lexus notice and they said that I need to work it out with my local dealership.

I always tried my best to get them notified on my progress and issues I faced with my first dealership.

the ppf was applied without any body parts removed. I checked with xpel reps and they confirmed that the work was done on the car with everything intact.

ppf installation causing this issue is completely irrelevant. The dealership was just giving reasons to skip the work is what I think. They can make more by just doing general service then dealing with body work for one customer.
Fman2118 (06-25-22)
Old 06-25-22, 10:59 AM
silk69
Rookie

Originally Posted by DLPTony
Oh my goodness, this is effing bullcrap. You should name the dealer so everyone will know to avoid them if possible. I hope this gets resolved SOON for everyone who is affected.
I really wish I can put their name out for the bull**** they put me through but I just don’t know if lexus forum will be ok with disclosing this information here.

You can reach me in private to get more details.
DLPTony (06-25-22)
Old 06-25-22, 02:36 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 749 Likes on 268 Posts

Question - is this happening to everyone on the front driver side or has anyone had it on just the passenger side? Quickly scrolling through this thread it looks like it's the driver's side only (might have missed an exception). Mine is just the driver's side but the passenger side looks like it's actually being pulled into the car rather than separating.
Old 06-25-22, 03:08 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jororo
Question - is this happening to everyone on the front driver side or has anyone had it on just the passenger side? Quickly scrolling through this thread it looks like it's the driver's side only (might have missed an exception). Mine is just the driver's side but the passenger side looks like it's actually being pulled into the car rather than separating.

I went back to the Facebook page I originally pulled the info from. It seems to mostly be the driver’s side.

I thought this post was helpful:

Last edited by DLPTony; 06-25-22 at 07:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
jororo (06-25-22), wthrman2 (06-25-22)
Old 06-25-22, 06:58 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ Thanks for posting this. If you have more updates on this, post it here because I don't have a facebook page - Mind you mind is holding well so far and no separation issue but it would be nice it case it does happen.

On an unrelated note - Ironically, when I got my 500, one of the tow hook plug on teh rear diffuser was not staying in place. I kept pushing it and it would not latch in place. I ordered a new piece but by the time it arrived a week later, I had pushed it in and this time, it stayed in place and never had to replace the part so it made me think of this issue when I read the post above about the plastic parts not latching in properly.

Last edited by wthrman2; 06-25-22 at 07:06 PM.
DLPTony (06-26-22)
Old 06-26-22, 03:22 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ Thanks for posting this. If you have more updates on this, post it here because I don't have a facebook page - Mind you mind is holding well so far and no separation issue but it would be nice it case it does happen.
Will do!

So far mine has not exhibited the reported issues either and I agree it’s a good idea to stay informed.

Someone reported the CEL issue at 9K miles! I thought if the car made it to 2K miles then it was in the clear. It may not be the case, but I know what to do if it does. 👍🏽
wthrman2 (06-26-22)
Old 06-26-22, 06:31 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

^^ The CEL is Lexus' STD, i guess it can catch it any age or mileage lmao
DLPTony (06-26-22)

Quick Reply: Front Apron Separation?