IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Front Apron Separation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-23, 12:23 PM
CplClegg
Driver

Received 175 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Not to deter you but if you try to fix it yourself and make permanent modifications, Lexus could technically deny coverage if they ever come up with a real solution.

Of course that's a real d**k move but I could see it happening.
You're absolutely right! Just have to be very careful reinstall everything exactly the way it was and no one will be the wiser.
Old 09-14-23, 01:14 PM
KMode
2nd gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to add a pic of the driver side bumper sag issue happening on my '22 IS350. Mine is pretty much fully popped out now. I know a lot of IS350 owners are starting to get the issue at least down here in Florida. We've reported it to multiple dealers here so I hope Lexus can come up with a solution.

Here is another example from '21 IS350 owner I know.

Last edited by KMode; 09-14-23 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Added a second picture
The following 2 users liked this post by KMode:
DLPTony (09-14-23), Longwaldo (09-14-23)
Old 09-14-23, 04:34 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 165 Posts

What's the latest model year this is happening to? Any 2023? If not, Lexus must have fixed it on newer cars.
Old 09-14-23, 05:09 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Originally Posted by Benibiker1558
What's the latest model year this is happening to? Any 2023? If not, Lexus must have fixed it on newer cars.
It’s happening to the 2023s too. Several actually. 🫣😞
Old 09-14-23, 05:42 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 832 Likes on 404 Posts

It's now basically every 21+ IS...
Old 09-14-23, 05:58 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DLPTony
I just looked at mine and it's ok, granted it's still at baby at 327 miles .
The following 2 users liked this post by Benibiker1558:
DLPTony (09-15-23), HighRevs (09-14-23)
Old 09-14-23, 07:03 PM
KMode
2nd gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt Lexus fixed the issue on the 2023. Mine started showing this summer, and I have 16k miles on mine. I guarantee once the 2023's get past 12k miles, which a lot will surpass by next summer, then they'll get the same bumper separation. I heard from some people that one of sales team guys from Lexus of Tampa Bay who actually owns an IS500 got the issue early this year and reported it to his own dealership that he works at. Corporate is still "researching" the issue, but they're definitely aware.

I'm hoping that since not just the IS500s, but even the IS350s are having the issue, then Lexus will have some more urgency in finding a fix. It's unacceptable to have these cosmetic issues on a $50k+ car.
The following 2 users liked this post by KMode:
DLPTony (09-15-23), Moonman89 (09-14-23)
Old 09-14-23, 07:39 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
Yep … happened to my ‘22 and is now happening to my ‘23. Both didn’t start sagging until the days got hotter. Haven’t taken in yet but hopefully the fix employed will be as effective as it was for my ‘22.

Old 09-14-23, 07:50 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

So Charles Chen's theory that the heavy V8 causes the sagging is officially debunked.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (09-15-23)
Old 09-14-23, 08:22 PM
Benibiker1558
Intermediate

So Charles Chen's theory that the heavy V8 causes the sagging is officially debunked.
if a heavy V8 engine was the cause, I’m sure we’d have bigger problems than just the front skirt sagging!!
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (09-15-23)
Old 09-14-23, 09:13 PM
Longwaldo
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

would seem like a really unlikely idea, maybe if it was the fact the front is extended by a couple of inches?. Then it’s happening on is350, so I don’t know.
Old 09-14-23, 09:30 PM
VenturaHwy
6th Gear

Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

I took in my 22 IS500 for its 15k mile service yesterday. I brought up again the front apron separation as it has gotten worse. Last time I took it to another local Lexus dealership, they tried to pass the blame by saying that there was scuff marks underneath the bumper so they would not fix. Well this time, after a couple of hours I got the following message from the service advisor:

I am glad to hear that Lexus is finally doing something to try to remedy this problem. I have had the front apron separation since I bought the car new. I hope that whatever they do this time fixes my issue.

I would recommend that anyone who has this problem to make sure you let the dealership know so Lexus can know that this is an ongoing problem and we all get a permanent fix soon.
The following 3 users liked this post by VenturaHwy:
arentz07 (09-15-23), HighRevs (09-15-23), LexLight (09-15-23)
Old 09-15-23, 07:22 AM
LexLight
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 27 Posts

The nightmare fuel strikes back, this thing sends chills down personally as it is my first luxury vehicle..

Really sad how Lexus is nowadays, they know the issue since the Launch Edition. But there's no fix in sight. Also look at the RX 5th gen subforum, they have Dash separation problem. Imagine buying a new car and seeing the dash tear itself apart, also fender flare dropping itself on top of the RX's new powertrain having a lot of lemons. And that is assembled in USA. While IS is assembled in Japan at their most coveted Tahara plant where the legendary 4Runner is also made.

Imagine if you have the whole car XPel protected, Ceramic coated and what not, and see this happen and have to take to dealer only to be mishandled by their tech, and sit in their shop for a few days being neglected unlike reputable independents. And mostly I do not think many of the dealerships do a fine job at handling these cars, when I test drove an IS 500 it was sitting in the hot blazing sun the interior was HOT, machined AL ***** for the infotainment were scorching hot. Plus how it was dirty outside, and seeing horror stories of dealerships putting 0w-16, 0w-20 oils in the 5w-30 engine that too a V8 engine of all.

At this point I just have to pray as I do not want another replacement car as there's none in existence for the IS 500. Just hoping about those "Takumi" workers who assembled the vehicle did a good job for the 2023 batches, the issue is so sporadic it makes it hard to pin-point. The IS 350 exhibiting the issues, 2023 models having this issue, Heat Factor and other various aspects like mileage, age of the vehicle etc. At-least the Lexus corporate is aware is the only damn thing we have to cope.

Lexus is really going down, once the 2GR-FKS NA V6 is killed off in the Camry, ES 350 and IS 350 and the 2UR-GSE in the RC F, LC 500 and IS 500. ES is too old and 3IS facelift refresh is also too old, RC is not even being bought by many RC F is uber rare, LC is too niche, so yeah I'm expecting the news sooner or later. Look at the new Landcruiser vs the Old Asteroid proof Landcruiser. Even the 4Runner is losing its zero complicated Port Injection only powertrain for 2024 MY just like GX losing its 1UR.

Toyoda himself being voluntarily retired is a big key point for the Lexus brand as a whole - EPA mafia, government overreach and others in quality reduction, consumer wallet in siphon mode, disposable vehicles, constant data logging (Watch Louis Rossman video on BMW latest). Although tangential but the state of Auto industry for consumers is really poor. I miss the old Lexus from LS430 era "in the Pursuit of Perfection" badly.
Old 09-15-23, 08:26 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,762 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLight
The nightmare fuel strikes back, this thing sends chills down personally as it is my first luxury vehicle..

Really sad how Lexus is nowadays, they know the issue since the Launch Edition. But there's no fix in sight. Also look at the RX 5th gen subforum, they have Dash separation problem. Imagine buying a new car and seeing the dash tear itself apart, also fender flare dropping itself on top of the RX's new powertrain having a lot of lemons. And that is assembled in USA. While IS is assembled in Japan at their most coveted Tahara plant where the legendary 4Runner is also made.

Imagine if you have the whole car XPel protected, Ceramic coated and what not, and see this happen and have to take to dealer only to be mishandled by their tech, and sit in their shop for a few days being neglected unlike reputable independents. And mostly I do not think many of the dealerships do a fine job at handling these cars, when I test drove an IS 500 it was sitting in the hot blazing sun the interior was HOT, machined AL ***** for the infotainment were scorching hot. Plus how it was dirty outside, and seeing horror stories of dealerships putting 0w-16, 0w-20 oils in the 5w-30 engine that too a V8 engine of all.

At this point I just have to pray as I do not want another replacement car as there's none in existence for the IS 500. Just hoping about those "Takumi" workers who assembled the vehicle did a good job for the 2023 batches, the issue is so sporadic it makes it hard to pin-point. The IS 350 exhibiting the issues, 2023 models having this issue, Heat Factor and other various aspects like mileage, age of the vehicle etc. At-least the Lexus corporate is aware is the only damn thing we have to cope.

Lexus is really going down, once the 2GR-FKS NA V6 is killed off in the Camry, ES 350 and IS 350 and the 2UR-GSE in the RC F, LC 500 and IS 500. ES is too old and 3IS facelift refresh is also too old, RC is not even being bought by many RC F is uber rare, LC is too niche, so yeah I'm expecting the news sooner or later. Look at the new Landcruiser vs the Old Asteroid proof Landcruiser. Even the 4Runner is losing its zero complicated Port Injection only powertrain for 2024 MY just like GX losing its 1UR.

Toyoda himself being voluntarily retired is a big key point for the Lexus brand as a whole - EPA mafia, government overreach and others in quality reduction, consumer wallet in siphon mode, disposable vehicles, constant data logging (Watch Louis Rossman video on BMW latest). Although tangential but the state of Auto industry for consumers is really poor. I miss the old Lexus from LS430 era "in the Pursuit of Perfection" badly.
You don't drive a dealership; you drive a car. Once that thing is off the lot, you can take care of it how YOU want. Don't go back to a dealership for service if you don't trust them. Dealerships of any brand have their bad apples.

Based on what you are saying, the latest years of the 3IS are some of the Lexus models that we should be buying. They don't have all the latest tech from Toyota like newer Lexus models such as the NX, LX, and RX and use proven engines.

The front apron separation thing clearly seems associated to heat - it seems most reports of the issue are occurring in TX, FL, and CA. I park my 2023 in a garage in the ATL area and have not had the issue yet, in spite of the fairly hot conditions here. I am approaching 6,000 miles, and I have seen cars with lower mileage that have obvious front apron separation.

The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
DLPTony (09-15-23), LexLight (09-15-23)
Old 09-15-23, 10:08 AM
hotct
Pit Crew

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
You don't drive a dealership; you drive a car. Once that thing is off the lot, you can take care of it how YOU want. Don't go back to a dealership for service if you don't trust them. Dealerships of any brand have their bad apples.

Based on what you are saying, the latest years of the 3IS are some of the Lexus models that we should be buying. They don't have all the latest tech from Toyota like newer Lexus models such as the NX, LX, and RX and use proven engines.

The front apron separation thing clearly seems associated to heat - it seems most reports of the issue are occurring in TX, FL, and CA. I park my 2023 in a garage in the ATL area and have not had the issue yet, in spite of the fairly hot conditions here. I am approaching 6,000 miles, and I have seen cars with lower mileage that have obvious front apron separation.
that definitely sounds like a major contributor. Bought mine in TX in Feb, didn't notice the separation until June with <1k miles. It was plenty hot here by then.
The following 2 users liked this post by hotct:
DLPTony (09-15-23), LexLight (09-15-23)

Quick Reply: Front Apron Separation?