IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Front Apron Separation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-22, 07:15 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Did you hear about the BRZ4X wheels falling off because the bolts weren’t torqued correctly? Lol maybe the guy torquing our exhausts got transferred to a different plant and took his torque wrench with him.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
jororo (06-26-22), wthrman2 (06-26-22)
Old 06-26-22, 08:07 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Yeah I read it.

::sigh:: Bless it.
Old 06-26-22, 04:20 PM
zman21
Driver

Received 122 Likes on 45 Posts

I gots the sag as well on the drivers side only. Probably bringing it in for the first service in a few weeks, see what they say.
The following 2 users liked this post by zman21:
DLPTony (06-26-22), wthrman2 (06-26-22)
Old 06-27-22, 11:28 AM
silk69
Rookie

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Bumper hassle for a 70k lexus

Originally Posted by silk69
Hello IS fanatics,

I'm proud owner of IS500 launch Edition 380/500. Beautiful car and I’m having lots of fun driving this car around especially on Dallas highways

I apologize in advance for the long post but I will try to make it as detail as possible so you guys can help me to find the right solution for this issue.

I had this car for 3 months and I have driven it for 1400 miles. The car came with XPel clear bra ultimate plus film pre-installed as a package from the dealership where I purchased the car.

2 weeks ago I noticed something unusual with my bumper fender clip on the driver side "the passenger side looks good for now". The bumper pins are loose and visible around part where it attaches to the fender. I took it to one of the local dealership and they said that the bumper bracket should be order and reinstalled. The whole wait and installation took a week. After driving the car out of dealership I still noticed the pins popping out and getting a bit worse than it was before the repair.

This dealer was quite unresponsive after work so I reached out to Lexus brand engagement service to get some help. They suggested for me to wait till the dealer gets back to me. A whole week passed by and the dealership won’t respond to my calls or requests to have another look into it. On top of that they blamed the Xpel installation for the issue and they said they can only help by applying an adhesive for 200$ out of pocket. This dealership went to extent saying that Lexus won't cover this under warranty "which I and other dealership think was a complete bull**** ”.

Anyways I dropped this dealership and took my car to near by reputed body shop and also to another Lexus dealership. They lifted the car for diagnosis and both of these locations were really surprised why this is happening to a brand new car without any signs of impact to the bumper or underneath the bumper.

I reached out to my out of the state dealership that sold me the car and spoke to their service manager. He was shocked how the initial dealer responded to my request and was more than happy to work this out with my new local Lexus dealership

I’m currently waiting for the dealerships to communicate and help me out with this situation. From what I heard they need to remove the bumper to find the cause and also authorization from Lexus on how to reinstall these new bumper model. They think a perfect factory fit might not be possible. Let's hope they find something .

It is strange to see so many of these new IS500's are having the same issue on the driver side. Hope we can find a solution or someone from Lexus corporate can look into this issue.

Alright I got the latest update on this topic from my local dealership and this is what they said.

So the local dealership spoke with the out of the state dealership that sold me the car. The local dealer wanted the out of the state dealership to be responsible to pay for any expected cost that can incur for the bumper fix as they got the XPEL installation done for the car. The out of the state dealer denied the request stating PPF installation is not the cause of this issue "which I incline towards with how many of us IS owners are facing the same driver side issue".
So when requested for what is the best approach to fix this issue. This is what the dealer suggested:
  1. They will take in the car and will remove the bumper to find the cause.
  2. Once the cause is found, they will reach out to Lexus to see if they are willing to work the issue out on warranty.
  3. If Lexus denies the request then I will be 100% responsible for any charges.
So with the amount of uncertainty and this issue been relatively new. I'm steering away from this repair till Lexus jumps into it with the fix. I want to avoid further bumper issues that can come with complete bumper disassembly on this car.
I think the best approach is to raise awareness with Lexus brand engagement team on the issue that multiple IS500 cars with or without PPF are facing today. I think we need to work this together to get a good traction on this issue.
If any one has luck with any dealer on getting this issue fixed. Pls post your approach here.
Thanks and Good Luck
Old 06-27-22, 11:58 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,686 Likes on 1,784 Posts

I agree that this is not related to the XPEL installation because while mine is just showing a tiny tiny gap, others have stated that this happened and they never had of it installed. And like others, there is a difference on the driver side too so there is something wrong with this side. As another poster indicated, this is likely a clip manufacturing defect and hope this can be easily rectified by Lexus so all having this issue can have it repaired quickly
Old 06-27-22, 03:15 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by silk69
Alright I got the latest update on this topic from my local dealership and this is what they said.

So the local dealership spoke with the out of the state dealership that sold me the car. The local dealer wanted the out of the state dealership to be responsible to pay for any expected cost that can incur for the bumper fix as they got the XPEL installation done for the car. The out of the state dealer denied the request stating PPF installation is not the cause of this issue "which I incline towards with how many of us IS owners are facing the same driver side issue".
So when requested for what is the best approach to fix this issue. This is what the dealer suggested:
  1. They will take in the car and will remove the bumper to find the cause.
  2. Once the cause is found, they will reach out to Lexus to see if they are willing to work the issue out on warranty.
  3. If Lexus denies the request then I will be 100% responsible for any charges.
So with the amount of uncertainty and this issue been relatively new. I'm steering away from this repair till Lexus jumps into it with the fix. I want to avoid further bumper issues that can come with complete bumper disassembly on this car.
I think the best approach is to raise awareness with Lexus brand engagement team on the issue that multiple IS500 cars with or without PPF are facing today. I think we need to work this together to get a good traction on this issue.
If any one has luck with any dealer on getting this issue fixed. Pls post your approach here.
Thanks and Good Luck
This is complete BS. Why is the Lexus dealership's only choice to make someone to be the guinea pig without guaranteeing recourse? So much for the "Lexus experience." Where's Forsythe when we need him? Or does he only come out for the fun stuff? The brand is tripping.

Last edited by macmaster; 06-27-22 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-27-22, 05:32 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,324 Likes on 679 Posts

I have never received treatment like that from the two Lexus dealers I frequent. That is how I used to get treated by the worst Chevy dealer I've ever been to.
Old 06-27-22, 06:03 PM
silk69
Rookie

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
I have never received treatment like that from the two Lexus dealers I frequent. That is how I used to get treated by the worst Chevy dealer I've ever been to.
if you guys have any luck with any dealers around dallas area HMU.
I will be more than happy to team up to get the work done.
for now its just the game of waiting 😂
Old 06-27-22, 08:11 PM
hotct
Pit Crew

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

This isn't a PPF or whatever you call it issue. I've never had anything done on mine, not even 1500 miles and completely babied it. Drivers side only is showing this on mine.

Old 06-28-22, 02:40 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hotct
This isn't a PPF or whatever you call it issue. I've never had anything done on mine, not even 1500 miles and completely babied it. Drivers side only is showing this on mine.
Sheesh…that’s just awful. No car company is perfect, but give us a break with these problems already. 😞😡
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (06-28-22)
Old 06-28-22, 03:14 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ I agree, and I am wondering if we are witnessing the effect of a "Made for North America only" car - Since this was something that was requested by Lexus USA , either they didn't take the time to properly develop this car or they didn't care?
DLPTony (06-28-22)
Old 06-28-22, 03:30 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wthrman2
^^ I agree, and I am wondering if we are witnessing the effect of a "Made for North America only" car - Since this was something that was requested by Lexus USA , either they didn't take the time to properly develop this car or they didn't care?
Yikes…I haven’t thought of that. 🤦🏽‍♂️

I hope it’s not the case, but COVID disruptions instead.
Old 06-28-22, 04:11 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ Could be COVID but it seems the IS 500 has had it's fair share of these "weird or unique" issues. While some would say, this is the result of a 1st model year but I bought the 2021 IS after a significant refresh and there was no bumper issues. Now that being said, mine is fine except a minor gap if you try and look for it, but that is not to say that it won't get worse or develop in time. This is the 1st Lexus I actually bought (rather than lease) and this model HAD to be the one with all these annoying issues. Oh well...
DLPTony (06-28-22)
Old 06-28-22, 05:55 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Now that being said, mine is fine except a minor gap if you try and look for it, but that is not to say that it won't get worse or develop in time.
Same, I have not experienced any of the reported issues, but the anxiety of them looms over me. As I mentioned before, I went through the Sticky Dash and Door Cards madness with my ‘06 IS 350, so I know these things will eventually be ironed out. I just want the list to stop growing! 🙃
wthrman2 (06-28-22)
Old 06-28-22, 08:02 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

I never thought of that either, interesting theory. But it doesn't make sense since it was built in Japan. The workers at Tahara wouldn't suddenly let their guard down when assembling the IS500 because they knew it was only going to North America. People usually aren't wired that way. And before you say I can't blame the manufacturing workers since its a supplier issue, remember at Toyota/Lexus that anyone in the assembly line has the power to stop production if they see something wrong. That's their whole claim to fame. What are the chances that the front apron always went on smoothly 100% if these tabs are such an issue? Someone should've seen this issue....it doesn't add up to me.

What also really confuses me is that when I look at pictures of IS500s on instagram or even used for sale, I've never come across one with an unsuspecting front apron separation, and I've been actively looking since I heard about this problem. Which means this is either a lot less common than it's being blown up to be, or the photographer pops it back in right before taking a picture, or my eyes just aren't very good.

Quick Reply: Front Apron Separation?