IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Front Apron Separation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-22, 08:05 AM
silk69
Rookie

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Case Updated with Lexus Brand Engagement Center

Hello Folks,

I got some news for you.
So I just spoke to Lexus brand engagement manager and updated them on this issue. I sent them this forum link so they can understand the gravity of the issue.
They said they will escalate this to the southern region "Dallas" regional manager to get the FTS reps involved to find the possible cause and fix for this issue .
They said I should expect a call from my dealership on the next steps. Which will be most likely driving in my car so that Lexus can look into the issue IN person.
If anyone from Dallas-fort worth area are facing similar issue, reach me out so we can get our cars reviewed at the same time to strengthen the case and help other IS500 owners to get the issue fixed.

This is the case I opened so you guys can take this as reference to speak with brand engagement folks "Lexus Brand Engagement Center Case 220624001285" who can be reached at "1-800-255-3987 option 4"
Good luck.

The following 6 users liked this post by silk69:
Compromise (06-30-22), DLPTony (06-28-22), Fman2118 (06-28-22), Grigsbyt1 (08-04-22), macmaster (06-28-22), wthrman2 (06-28-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-28-22, 09:42 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,686 Likes on 1,784 Posts

..and while this is great news, here in Canada, Lexus Canada does not seem to be aware there is a Lexus USA and doesnt seem to cross check the issues and resolutions so we will be starting from the bottom.
Old 06-30-22, 07:20 AM
1SLOGTR
9th Gear

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I am the one that made the Facebook post that there is a screen shot of in here and the pictures.

While the picture of the black plastic piece is part of the problem on my wife’s car, I do believe there is more to the problem. Other people have mentioned weight of the front bumper. I believe this is also the case to the separation. IMO there is 2 issues causing the problem on my wife’s car. The first being the black plastic piece and the tabs on it in the pictures posted. The second is the weight of the front bumper. The bumper needs additional support to hold it up. I think with the hot temperatures outside, it caused the plastic bumper to become more malleable (soft) causing it to sag more. I am think it will take a long time for Lexus to develop something to permanently fix this issue. One person mentioned they are going to replace his front bumper cover, I think it will start separating again over time.

I’m looking at figuring out how to add some more bracing support to help hold the bumper up and also fixing the black plastic mounting tabs that the cover snaps into.

I will let you all know what I come up with. I know you all want Lexus to fix this, but like I said, I think it will take a long Period of time for them to develop a permanent fix. I think all the immediate fixes will be temporary.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (06-30-22)
Old 06-30-22, 07:22 AM
Fman2118
Pit Crew

Received 316 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SLOGTR
I am the one that made the Facebook post that there is a screen shot of in here and the pictures.

While the picture of the black plastic piece is part of the problem on my wife’s car, I do believe there is more to the problem. Other people have mentioned weight of the front bumper. I believe this is also the case to the separation. IMO there is 2 issues causing the problem on my wife’s car. The first being the black plastic piece and the tabs on it in the pictures posted. The second is the weight of the front bumper. The bumper needs additional support to hold it up. I think with the hot temperatures outside, it caused the plastic bumper to become more malleable (soft) causing it to sag more. I am think it will take a long time for Lexus to develop something to permanently fix this issue. One person mentioned they are going to replace his front bumper cover, I think it will start separating again over time.

I’m looking at figuring out how to add some more bracing support to help hold the bumper up and also fixing the black plastic mounting tabs that the cover snaps into.

I will let you all know what I come up with. I know you all want Lexus to fix this, but like I said, I think it will take a long Period of time for them to develop a permanent fix. I think all the immediate fixes will be temporary.
if it was the weight of the front fascia, all of them should be sagging, but they aren’t.
Carolina50 (06-30-22)
Old 06-30-22, 07:32 AM
1SLOGTR
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Fman2118
if it was the weight of the front fascia, all of them should be sagging, but they aren’t.
I’m just left you all know what I have found to be the issue on my wife’s car from all the troubleshooting I have performed. This is what I have come up with and I am human so I can easily be wrong.

Could it be that the owners this is happening to, their cars do not see extreme heat for long periods of time? My wife’s car is garage kept but does see a lot of heat in the parking lots. Her car didn’t have this issue in the spring while it was cool outside. When I thought I fixed the black plastic pieces, the bumper held up great all night and in the morning while in the garage. When she took it out, it started sagging again. This could be due to heat making the plastic soft or it could be due to the force it sees driving down the road from wind resistance.

Im also open to any suggestions or potential causes that other people are finding.
wthrman2 (06-30-22)
Old 06-30-22, 07:42 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Usually the simplest explanation is the correct one. I think you're onto something.

The saga of the misshapen apron continues!
Old 06-30-22, 08:23 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

1SLOGTR - What you are proposing makes sense - I agree that I feel it is "heat related" as this engine bay gets really hot compared to the 350 and I assume the tight engine bay prevents the heat dissipation and leads to the front bumper/hood becoming quite warm. I am not sure how much more the 500's bumper weighs over the 350. It is weird that only one side is affected to I am still leaning toward the idea that something on the left hand side (bumper or clip) that when the heat gets too high, eventually, the parts either separate or something warps the plastic so that they won't fit into each other very well. I am lucky it never gets too hot here and I try and let the car cool off outside before putting in the garage. Now I am paranoid to drive it and let it get too warm.

Curious if any of the press cars ever experienced this? They were run hard and in warmer climate ....
DLPTony (06-30-22)
Old 06-30-22, 04:16 PM
1SLOGTR
9th Gear

Originally Posted by wthrman2
1SLOGTR - What you are proposing makes sense - I agree that I feel it is "heat related" as this engine bay gets really hot compared to the 350 and I assume the tight engine bay prevents the heat dissipation and leads to the front bumper/hood becoming quite warm. I am not sure how much more the 500's bumper weighs over the 350. It is weird that only one side is affected to I am still leaning toward the idea that something on the left hand side (bumper or clip) that when the heat gets too high, eventually, the parts either separate or something warps the plastic so that they won't fit into each other very well. I am lucky it never gets too hot here and I try and let the car cool off outside before putting in the garage. Now I am paranoid to drive it and let it get too warm.

Curious if any of the press cars ever experienced this? They were run hard and in warmer climate ....
if you scroll up and see the Facebook post that a screen shot was taken of and the black plastic clip pictures, those are mine. I said there was 2 issues. The drivers side black plastic clip has an issue from the factory. The second issue is the weight of the front bumper. I’m saying the heat may cause the front bumper to become softer and more flexible. That with the clips issue I posted, is 2 fold. But I’m going to try some things to fix it. If it works after a few weeks of testing, I will let you all know.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1SLOGTR:
DLPTony (06-30-22), wthrman2 (06-30-22)
Old 06-30-22, 06:05 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

^^ We are all appreciative that you are willing to do this for us - It is just sad that owners are the teh ones finding solutions and keeping owners informed. You will earn my respect if you find the cause/solution of this issue :
The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
1SLOGTR (06-30-22), giS (07-02-22)
Old 06-30-22, 06:18 PM
Fman2118
Pit Crew

Received 316 Likes on 122 Posts

if you scroll up and see the Facebook post that a screen shot was taken of and the black plastic clip pictures, those are mine. I said there was 2 issues. The drivers side black plastic clip has an issue from the factory. The second issue is the weight of the front bumper. I’m saying the heat may cause the front bumper to become softer and more flexible. That with the clips issue I posted, is 2 fold. But I’m going to try some things to fix it. If it works after a few weeks of testing, I will let you all know.
Question for you. Have you looked at the IS350 bumper clip? I don’t remember seeing any issues on 350s and that part of the fascia should be the same.
Old 06-30-22, 07:27 PM
1SLOGTR
9th Gear

Question for you. Have you looked at the IS350 bumper clip? I don’t remember seeing any issues on 350s and that part of the fascia should be the same.
I know someone at my work that I think just bought one. I am going to make sure it is theirs and then look it over. I highly doubt they will let me tear it down especially with nothing wrong with it. I would bet money the IS350s have the exact same black plastic clip. The more they bill order, the more money they save. I think the IS350 would need to be an F-sport to have the same weight as the IS500 on the front bumper from what I have seen. Theirs is a F-sport. I will keep you all updated if I see it happening to that car.

I know this is the IS500 sub, but if other people can watch the other subs for this issue, I would really like to know. Unfortunately I don’t have all the time in the world. Trying to keep my GT-R running and building a R8 keeps me busy. I just got involved in the front bumper issue on the wife’s car because she worked hard for her new promotion and rewarded herself with a car she really likes. So I’m making her car a priority.

Edit: I might have the dealer order the black plastic clip for the 350 and order for the 500 to compare.
Fman2118 (06-30-22), silk69 (07-01-22)
Old 06-30-22, 08:20 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

The residual heat from this engine is pretty surprising. I’ve parked the car at 830am in a 70 degree garage then when fired back up at 5pm the engine coolant temp gauge is still at ~15-20% (maybe 140-160 degrees?). That’s a lot of slowly dissipating heat for the surrounding plastic parts to just be marinating in for 8+ hours.

Can’t imagine it’s any more heat than an RC-F or IS-F deals with though and haven’t heard of similar issues with those vehicles, which is why to me the tab defect idea makes so much sense as only the drivers side seems to be affected.

Maybe the last straw for our fenders was the extra summer time heat?

Regardless I’ll let yall know what kind of pushback I get as I’m having my car serviced for this and a couple other issues next Tuesday.
The following 3 users liked this post by jororo:
DLPTony (07-01-22), hotct (07-01-22), wthrman2 (07-01-22)
Old 07-04-22, 04:34 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,971 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Just an update in the comments section.

wthrman2 (07-04-22)
Old 07-07-22, 08:10 AM
1SLOGTR
9th Gear

I have been monitoring my coworker’s new IS350 F Sport. 2 weeks ago the drivers side had the same amount of gap between the bumper cover and the fender. I just looked today, the drivers side gap is getting bigger and I can see more of the bumper tabs. The bumper has NOT popped out yet like we have seen. I think it will pop out sooner than later. I personally see the lower models will have the same issue of popping out. I will continually monitor their car though.

I would appreciate it if others were on the look out to gather more information.

Last edited by 1SLOGTR; 07-07-22 at 08:19 AM.
silk69 (07-07-22), wthrman2 (07-07-22)
Old 07-07-22, 08:52 AM
silk69
Rookie

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I have been monitoring my coworker’s new IS350 F Sport. 2 weeks ago the drivers side had the same amount of gap between the bumper cover and the fender. I just looked today, the drivers side gap is getting bigger and I can see more of the bumper tabs. The bumper has NOT popped out yet like we have seen. I think it will pop out sooner than later. I personally see the lower models will have the same issue of popping out. I will continually monitor their car though.

I would appreciate it if others were on the look out to gather more information.
Now that makes things worse. Sounds like a recall for all the F sport bumpers to replace what ever is causing the issue.
I stopped driving my car to avoid a complete bumper damage.
With all these minor issues creeping in like CEL, Apron and Fuel pump replacement.
How reliable do you guys think this specific 2022 models will be in long run?
Is it safe to buy extended warranty for these cars?
Not sure if Lexus carries the same reliability as it use.
wthrman2 (07-07-22)

Quick Reply: Front Apron Separation?