IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-23, 12:15 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Bechtold
I still buy CD's, so yeah I listen to them plus USB does not do gapless playback which I use for mostly FLAC files.

So when the prog rock concept albums come out it's probably CD time because brief gaps between tracks that were not there don't happen on CD.
The ML system will play FLAC files 🙂
Old 02-28-23, 12:18 PM
Bechtold
Advanced

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
The ML system will play FLAC files 🙂
Oh I know it plays Flac files, it just doesn't do gapless playback. It can do 24Bit 192KHz files if you give it that which is pretty cool.
Old 03-10-23, 06:47 AM
patsfan82
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New IS500 owner and the ML system is driving me crazy. It's such a strong mixture of good and terrible at the same time.

For all the strong qualities the system has - mine seems to just have some overboosted frequencies that I can't tune out of it at loud volumes. When the system is really thumping - there are just a few problem areas where sounds are just *super* ear-splittingly sharp and they just pierce right into my skull. Not an audiophile and have minimal experience - but after some testing I would hazard a guess that mine is particularly problematic around 4kHz - right between where the Mid and Treble sliders have any effect.
Old 03-10-23, 06:54 AM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by patsfan82
New IS500 owner and the ML system is driving me crazy. It's such a strong mixture of good and terrible at the same time.

For all the strong qualities the system has - mine seems to just have some overboosted frequencies that I can't tune out of it at loud volumes. When the system is really thumping - there are just a few problem areas where sounds are just *super* ear-splittingly sharp and they just pierce right into my skull. Not an audiophile and have minimal experience - but after some testing I would hazard a guess that mine is particularly problematic around 4kHz - right between where the Mid and Treble sliders have any effect.
I had to turn the treble down below neutral for that reason. I think I'm at -3 treble. That was one of my complaints too, the system is VERY bright.
Old 03-10-23, 10:45 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,728 Likes on 1,899 Posts

I had to turn the treble down below neutral for that reason. I think I'm at -3 treble. That was one of my complaints too, the system is VERY bright.
I am at 0 treble, +1 mid and +1 bass. I agree, the neutral setting puts a little too much on treble. I think they were going for "wow factor". But I bumped the sound system all the way home from the dealer today, seems awesome in this setup. I might turn the bass up one more notch.

edit: Also, it might be worth turning Surround off or on to see if that improves things.

Last edited by arentz07; 03-10-23 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-10-23, 11:18 AM
Bechtold
Advanced

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

I turn surround off and auto volume leveling for all my high quality audio sources. I leave surround on for radio sources but still leave volume leveling off. I left it at flat for bass and mid, but found that I did not need to up the treble as much unlike previous stereo systems. It's actually quite nice.

Last edited by Bechtold; 03-11-23 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-11-23, 03:17 PM
patsfan82
5th Gear

I can't figure my system out. Turning treble down doesn't particularly address the problematic frequencies for me. Nothing I do seems to completely remove the harsh/sharp response at loud volumes. My system has completely different sounding responses at medium volume and loud volume.

This is the only system I've ever had in a vehicle where it's physically painful to listen to at loud volumes. I would prefer a mediocre sound system at loud volumes compared to mine which is just straight-unlistenable. Not looking forward to the immediate loss I'm going to take on this car if I can't figure out a solution.
Old 03-11-23, 03:23 PM
Admonkey
Driver

Received 90 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you playing super-compressed audio? Is it clipping?
Old 03-11-23, 03:25 PM
arentz07
drives cars

I can't figure my system out. Turning treble down doesn't particularly address the problematic frequencies for me. Nothing I do seems to completely remove the harsh/sharp response at loud volumes. My system has completely different sounding responses at medium volume and loud volume.

This is the only system I've ever had in a vehicle where it's physically painful to listen to at loud volumes. I would prefer a mediocre sound system at loud volumes compared to mine which is just straight-unlistenable. Not looking forward to the immediate loss I'm going to take on this car if I can't figure out a solution.
Are you talking when the car is stationary or moving? Ambient noise plays a big role. To be honest, I don't even bother tuning it while stopped, since the tire noise on the car has a huge impact on the sound.

I dunno, maybe this isn't the tippy-top of audio systems I've experienced in cars, but I find little to complain about. I think it sounds crisp without being harsh or too bright.
Old 03-11-23, 03:58 PM
patsfan82
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Admonkey
Are you playing super-compressed audio? Is it clipping?
Audio source is lossless playback through Apple Music app on Apple CarPlay.
​​​​​​

Originally Posted by arentz07
Are you talking when the car is stationary or moving? Ambient noise plays a big role. To be honest, I don't even bother tuning it while stopped, since the tire noise on the car has a huge impact on the sound.

I dunno, maybe this isn't the tippy-top of audio systems I've experienced in cars, but I find little to complain about. I think it sounds crisp without being harsh or too bright.
Ive been trying to balance and tune the system while driving. Tuning Treble/Mid/Bass with and without surround and with varying fade settings. Tried dropping the EQ settings and raising - since I think my problematic frequencies are between the Mid and Treble settings so the settings only move the frequency response around the problem area.

My system certainly has clarity that the modern BMW Harman kardan systems lack - but it has issues of its own that others don’t. It’s not anywhere near the quality of the current Acura Panasonic ELS systems, which is the best I’ve used. And as I indicated originally - I would prefer a mediocre system that didn’t assault my senses like this one does. Took my wife for a ride tonight for a second opinion and she had the same reaction.

Could just be something specific with my car, but it’s just so shrill.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (03-11-23)
Old 03-11-23, 04:31 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Ive been trying to balance and tune the system while driving. Tuning Treble/Mid/Bass with and without surround and with varying fade settings. Tried dropping the EQ settings and raising - since I think my problematic frequencies are between the Mid and Treble settings so the settings only move the frequency response around the problem area.

My system certainly has clarity that the modern BMW Harman kardan systems lack - but it has issues of its own that others don’t. It’s not anywhere near the quality of the current Acura Panasonic ELS systems, which is the best I’ve used. And as I indicated originally - I would prefer a mediocre system that didn’t assault my senses like this one does. Took my wife for a ride tonight for a second opinion and she had the same reaction.

Sorry to hear that. I'm really not sure what else to recommend other than trying playback through other audio sources - radio, a different music app or mode, etc. to see if anything makes a difference. I just listen to music through Pandora or YouTube music. Yeah, I am an audio pleb. But it sounds much better on the ML speakers than it does on my wife's BMW's sound system.
Old 03-11-23, 05:29 PM
95bat
Racer

​​​​​​

I've noticed the bass/mid/treble adjustments don't exactly cover the whole band they should address. Like mids don't affect voicing, and treble can leave some brightness even when turned down.

I've had the ML system in 5 different vehicles and this one was the hardest for me to tune. I need to get the laptop out and do some REW sweeps to find the best settings.
Old 03-11-23, 06:56 PM
Admonkey
Driver

Received 90 Likes on 32 Posts

There are a lot of links between the "lossless" bitrate at the source and what is finally streamed through your speakers (or headset or whatever you might listen to streaming music through).

Have you tried playing a CD through the system?
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (03-12-23)
Old 03-12-23, 01:42 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by Admonkey
There are a lot of links between the "lossless" bitrate at the source and what is finally streamed through your speakers (or headset or whatever you might listen to streaming music through).

Have you tried playing a CD through the system?
That was going to be my suggestion, in addition to changing out the cable used for the phone.

I have sensitive ears and above average hearing, and the system is fine to me. Definitely doesn’t cause physical pain.
Old 03-13-23, 12:18 PM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

Speaker system is great. Fading it back 3-4 places definitely makes it sound more level. This speaker system is the best I have had since my 08 tl type s and miles better then my b&o in my b9 audi s5 sportback.
The following 2 users liked this post by vpar23:
gcmak (03-14-23), phoenix888 (04-03-23)

Quick Reply: IS500 Mark Levinson