IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

These are the stock brakes I have ever used. Do we have aftermarket/retrofit options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-22, 07:43 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,729 Likes on 1,899 Posts

I think the most logical thing to do would be to fit parts from the RC F. It has a trans cooler for example.

A few of the posts in that thread talk about how the ISF is a stock track car but then mention mods that were done to make it better. Well, what’s stopping that same method on the IS500 to make it a “track car”?
I think it means the IS F is track-capable from factory - as in, it'll hold up to it better than your average car. So yeah you can obviously turn anything into a race car - weight reduction, better seats, sticky tires, etc. - if you can do the right mods.

To me, the IS 500 doesn't strike me as a track car, but I think that, logically, you could very easily get it there with some better brakes and aftermarket cooling.
Old 09-04-22, 08:34 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by tapjoy
So there’s a thread on the ISF forum where there’s the comparison of the ISF vs the IS500. Here

My question is, what would need to be done to “upgrade” the IS500 to an “IS500F”?

Brembo or equivalent brakes? Been done.
A transmission or oil cooler? Does the ISF have those stock?
Vented fenders?
Suspension mods?

What makes an ISF different than the 500? Mechanically? And if those upgrades are made, would it be considered an F car?

I feel like some would say yes and some would say no, cause let’s face it. If you had an ISF you’d probably feel a little miffed that this new car came up and is being compared to your track car when it’s not officially blessed as an F car by the manufacturer.

A few of the posts in that thread talk about how the ISF is a stock track car but then mention mods that were done to make it better. Well, what’s stopping that same method on the IS500 to make it a “track car”?
A track car:

If you want a track car I don't think the IS 500 is a good choice. If you want a car that is "track capable" for limited sessions I think you could do a trans cooler, maybe oil cooler, brake pads, maybe rotors, and some tires and be able to survive a short session with cool down in-between. The car can do a few laps in stock form, but the brakes and trans will go away as reported by several journalists.

Too many people are confusing this car with an F car because they share a motor. This is NOT an F car that will handle track runs in the same way.
The following users liked this post:
Carolina50 (09-04-22)
Old 09-04-22, 10:12 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

The transmission alone makes the IS500 a bad track car. It'd be fun for sure to do some laps for ****s and giggles, though.
Old 09-04-22, 11:01 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

The GS F and RC F also don’t have folding rear seats so a stiffer chassis overall.
Old 09-04-22, 11:15 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 235 Posts

Warped rotors, or the brake pads are leaving behind too much material?

Last edited by lexo98; 09-05-22 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-05-22, 03:18 AM
CyberNinja
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

So there’s a thread on the ISF forum where there’s the comparison of the ISF vs the IS500. Here

My question is, what would need to be done to “upgrade” the IS500 to an “IS500F”?

Vented fenders?
Suspension mods?

What makes an ISF different than the 500? Mechanically? And if those upgrades are made, would it be considered an F car?

I feel like some would say yes and some would say no, cause let’s face it. If you had an ISF you’d probably feel a little miffed that this new car came up and is being compared to your track car when it’s not officially blessed as an F car by the manufacturer.

I think the transmission is a major roadblock for this car to be an “F” car. I’ve always thought of this car as a beast on a short leash because of the transmission. From what I can see, from the way the transmission is geared, it makes the lion’s share of it’s power in the higher RPM range which is great for a friendly little race between you and that M340i with no cops on a wide open highway, but on a track it would fall short. So if the transmission has its own ECU, I would tune that first provided someone can crack the software and figure out the mapping. Besides the other upgrades you mentioned, one of the first upgrades I would choose (assuming tuning the transmission isn’t an option) is chassis bracing because of the noticeable night and day difference when it comes to body roll and overall behavior. Then followed by weight reduction, active aero, brake pads, steel braided brake lines, wider/thicker tires and a wider track width are all upgrades you have to think about as well for it to stack up. I suppose it would also have to be built to be a time attack car since F cars usually seem to be geared for that anyway.
Old 09-05-22, 06:15 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,685 Likes on 1,783 Posts

^^ To me, if a person is going to go through all these mods, I would say that they are not getting the right car for them as you can by vehicles that would be more "track ready" out of the gate. That is just my 2 cents of course.

Keep in mind that this transmission has been on previous F cars but I hear what you are saying however, to be a more modern F car, Lexus would need a snappier transmission and likely why they never invested in an IS F and gave us the 500 instead. Despite some of its short comings, the IS 500 is one fine car provided you know what this car is intended for and you go in as an informed consumer.
The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
Carolina50 (09-05-22), CyberNinja (09-06-22)
Old 09-05-22, 07:31 AM
95bat
Racer

In the name of science I went to Mexico today and (with a very long empty road) hit my brakes going really fast to see what would happen. I smoothly dropped from 130-60 with light pressure and downshifts, then had to use a lot more pressure to go from 60-0. I didn't have any shudder, smoke, fade, or drama. I couldn't even smell anything inside the car. I let the brakes cool for a bit while driving easy, then got out to smell them and they did smell a little toasty, but I had to bend down to the wheel to smell it. I couldn't smell it walking by.

If they work once from high speed I think that's good for me!
The following 2 users liked this post by 95bat:
arentz07 (09-06-22), Carolina50 (09-05-22)
Old 09-05-22, 08:53 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberNinja
I think the transmission is a major roadblock for this car to be an “F” car. I’ve always thought of this car as a beast on a short leash because of the transmission. From what I can see, from the way the transmission is geared, it makes the lion’s share of it’s power in the higher RPM range which is great for a friendly little race between you and that M340i with no cops on a wide open highway, but on a track it would fall short. So if the transmission has its own ECU, I would tune that first provided someone can crack the software and figure out the mapping. Besides the other upgrades you mentioned, one of the first upgrades I would choose (assuming tuning the transmission isn’t an option) is chassis bracing because of the noticeable night and day difference when it comes to body roll and overall behavior. Then followed by weight reduction, active aero, brake pads, steel braided brake lines, wider/thicker tires and a wider track width are all upgrades you have to think about as well for it to stack up. I suppose it would also have to be built to be a time attack car since F cars usually seem to be geared for that anyway.
Chassis bracing won't help with body roll. You need to replace the shocks and/or springs for that. Braided brake lines are a waste on a brand new car.

If you're gonna build a track car, I think you're better off buying a completely different car.
wthrman2 (09-06-22)
Old 09-06-22, 07:35 AM
18borat
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 19 Posts

Vented fenders?
Suspension mods?

I have asked the same question a few months ago in another thread and the replies were less than ideal, haha.
Old 09-20-22, 07:29 AM
18borat
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 19 Posts

They replaced the brakes again. This one seems to be fine. Will update how it holds up.
Old 09-22-22, 09:00 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I've written articles on this long ago (as others have), but warping rotors is a myth. One repeated by car guys from the beginning of time.

Either way i don't doubt you have vibrations, but it's likely not due to actual warping of rotors, but instead uneven pad deposits or pad hot spots, say sitting on the brakes at a stop light after heavy use, or using a bad/defective, or aftermarket pad, or improper bedding of new pads, or hard braking on new pads without bedding. All kinds of things. it's not that rotors can't warp (all things can warp) but for all intents and purposes, they don't warp. This misconception steers the user away from their own driving habits or defective pads as possibility and they go straight to the rotors. that's why it's a sucky myth.

But first describe your driving style? are you doing repetitive 80-0 mph stops on the street then sitting at a stop light with the brake pedal mashed? that doesn't sound right from normal/reasonable driving.
arentz07 (09-22-22)
Old 09-22-22, 09:01 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

also as arentz pointed out, even on my IS200t (which has the same capability of going 80mph your IS500 does), i would be downright violent on the brakes, with sticky summer tires, in triple digit socal heat, on heavy canyon drives, repeatedly. and no issues at all other than brake dust all on the side of my car.

i switched to "drilled rotors once" then after a few hard stops I got HEAVY pad deposits/vibrations.

went back to stock and again had the most beautiful braking restored.
Old 09-24-22, 01:19 PM
95bat
Racer

I just noticed the press IS 500 had Brembo brakes on it:

Old 09-24-22, 01:48 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,729 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
I just noticed the press IS 500 had Brembo brakes on it:
I mean, that's not a "press" vehicle, it's a totally custom build. I went to a booth where I saw this car in person and asked about it. The Lexus rep said it was a custom build to show off what can be done with the car.

The Brembo brakes is definitely part of that equation. I am pretty sure they just use the GT Big Brake Kit that is available for the IS 350.

Quick Reply: These are the stock brakes I have ever used. Do we have aftermarket/retrofit options?