IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Hard to decide: IS500 or 2023 300C

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-22, 04:07 PM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Arrow Hard to decide: IS500 or 2023 300C

Now comes the final model year of the 300C with the 6.4L V8.

Both the IS500 and 300C are similarly equipped, with similar performance as well. They are all built in very limited quantity, and are probably equally collectible in the future.

I like the ZF 8AT on the 300C and all leather-wrapped panels; but the IS500 has the luxury brand treatment and the build quality is better than Chrysler.

Could we discuss more pros and cons about these 2 cars so that I can have more info to make the decision?
Old 09-13-22, 04:17 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

On paper the 300C looks almost identical to the IS500, but I don't know anyone who would pick a Chrysler over a Lexus, and I didn't even know what a 300C was until I looked it up 2 minutes ago. Now I remember, it's the Bentley for gangstas. But don't buy a car based on what other people will think.

If it does matter to you what others think, I would say you will get laughed at less in the IS500. My best way to end this discussion.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
Carolina50 (09-13-22), PrimeDave (10-05-22)
Old 09-13-22, 05:50 PM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,162 Likes on 343 Posts

If I bought a Chrysler over a Lexus IS500 that means I was on some serious meth supplied by Heisenberg himself....

Last edited by Moonman89; 09-13-22 at 05:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
StillSo42 (09-14-22)
Old 09-13-22, 06:41 PM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by macmaster
On paper the 300C looks almost identical to the IS500, but I don't know anyone who would pick a Chrysler over a Lexus, and I didn't even know what a 300C was until I looked it up 2 minutes ago. Now I remember, it's the Bentley for gangstas. But don't buy a car based on what other people will think.

If it does matter to you what others think, I would say you will get laughed at less in the IS500. My best way to end this discussion.
For the price range of $50k I am not so concern about the brand image (since nowadays a fully loaded Honda Accord can reach $45k, or an Avalon can cost $47k+, I am OK with the pricing of this Chrysler).

I am more focusing on the mechanical side. For example the rigidity of the car body - I have owned the "normal" versions of both the 300 and IS (specifically speaking IS300) within different period of time before, but I did not have chance to compare them side-by-side regarding how the car body holds up when driving on ****ty roads with lots of potholes and bumpy expansion joints.
Old 09-13-22, 06:48 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by felixcat
For the price range of $50k I am not so concern about the brand image (since nowadays a fully loaded Honda Accord can reach $45k, or an Avalon can cost $47k+, I am OK with the pricing of this Chrysler).

I am more focusing on the mechanical side. For example the rigidity of the car body - I have owned the "normal" versions of both the 300 and IS (specifically speaking IS300) within different period of time before, but I did not have chance to compare them side-by-side regarding how the car body holds up when driving on ****ty roads with lots of potholes and bumpy expansion joints.
Interesting, your loyalty to your previous cars runs strong. I would say test drive them, but it's 2022 and that may not be an option with these rare cars.

I guess you'd have less to lose with the 300C. Rattles, creaks, and even mechanical breakdowns would probably be forgivable in the 300C. When those things happen in a Lexus we throw our arms up and go nuts. So in that way the 300C might be a less stressful experience.
Carolina50 (09-13-22)
Old 09-13-22, 07:41 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

I don't think you will have much of a choice. I bet the IS 500 will be impossible to find and the 300C will be marked up heavily, though more available.

For what it's worth, my few friends that had a 300 got rid of them pretty quick. A coworker just ditched hers for a Buick because the repairs were too expensive. New car payment was cheaper.

I'd personally go for the Lexus, but a 6.4L Hemi does sound really fun.
Old 09-13-22, 08:17 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

I had a good friend who owned a couple of salvage yards and for years would spend slow weekdays hanging out at them. Great people watching.

But my albeit anecdotal takeaway was this: only about 1 out of 50 people looking for Toyota/Lexus parts were looking for a part other than what would be needed for accident repairs (fenders, bumpers, etc). But a good 75% of the people looking for Dodge/Chrysler parts were trying to find mechanical parts to fix a broken down car, and these were far newer cars with far less miles on them than the Toyota/Lexus calls.

The other anecdotal lesson: there is a TON of money to be made in the salvage business.

My IS500 has been no saint, but it’s the Virgin Mary compared to a 300C.
The following 5 users liked this post by jororo:
DLPTony (09-14-22), IssaV8 (09-14-22), PrimeDave (10-05-22), StillSo42 (09-14-22), wthrman2 (09-14-22)
Old 09-13-22, 09:20 PM
ScytheDC
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Never knew people even cross shopped these 2 cars. The 300 has always and will always be a piece of junk. But then again the 500 will be hard to find and marked up.
The following 3 users liked this post by ScytheDC:
Moonman89 (09-14-22), PrimeDave (10-05-22), TheCatLoaf (09-15-22)
Old 09-13-22, 10:23 PM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ScytheDC
Never knew people even cross shopped these 2 cars. The 300 has always and will always be a piece of junk. But then again the 500 will be hard to find and marked up.
Similar type (both are sedan) with similar price, similar hp/torque, similar interior material quality will attract people who are shopping cars with those target attributes. I understand different brand images may lead to different clientele, but they do have overlap. For my use case, I am more focusing on the mechanical aspect.

One thing need your help here, could you check whether the IS500 side windows have double-pane glass (like the one in the below photo)? For some reason this is one important feature I am looking for. Thanks.

Old 09-14-22, 05:19 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Similar type (both are sedan) with similar price, similar hp/torque, similar interior material quality will attract people who are shopping cars with those target attributes. I understand different brand images may lead to different clientele, but they do have overlap. For my use case, I am more focusing on the mechanical aspect.

One thing need your help here, could you check whether the IS500 side windows have double-pane glass (like the one in the below photo)? For some reason this is one important feature I am looking for. Thanks.

The technical term is acoustic glass, and no IS trim offers it. But then again, why do you want to mute the V8?
Might be beating a dead horse here, but it feels like you're cross shopping an apple with an orange. As much as Chrysler tries to brand themselves as a luxury brand, they will NEVER be considered a luxury brand when all they have is the Pacifica and the 300 which has been around in its current form (without any styling change unlike the IS) for a decade. If your focus is on the mechanical aspect than make sure to look anywhere else than the Big 3 'Murica brands
PrimeDave (10-05-22)
Old 09-14-22, 05:26 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 974 Likes on 465 Posts

I can tell you that the engine in the 300C is lovely, as a current Scat Pack owner. Sounds great, drives great, huge fun factor. Dare I say it has the better drive train than the Lexus with the ZF 8 speed.

So what I will ask is how much you value safety features and driving assists. The 300C is going to start at $56k, similar to the IS500 base, that may or may not actually exist. To my knowledge, the 300C (or any Stellantis product currently) offers the driving assistance suite the IS500 does. There is no lane keep assist at all on any Stellantis product, which is a big deal to me in the long term.

You want heated seats? $2,000 package for the 300. Adaptive Cruise? Blind spot? $1795 package. So you're already getting near the IS500 Premium. At that point, I am going Lexus with the better tech (which is saying something), better driving assists, and better reliability (there are more stories of these 6.4Ls dying young deaths that you would expect in recent model years).
Old 09-14-22, 09:09 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Hands down IS500. That isn't even up for debate.
Old 09-14-22, 09:12 AM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 42 Posts

I think you will find a pretty huge bias towards Lexus in these forums.
Having said that, I bought my IS 500 because I know Toyota products are reliable from personal experience, I like the look, and I've always wanted a V8 engine car.
It all comes down to what you are looking for in a car.
I'd make a checklist of your top 5 desired categories, assign points to each category in terms of importance to YOU with a total of 100 points combined for all categories, and then check off which car wins in the specific category. Whichever car gets the most check marks wins.
E.G.

Reliabiliy = 50
Fun = 20
Looks = 10
etc ....
Old 09-14-22, 09:24 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,730 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster

I just don't get that... my friend has a 300, and it is far larger than the IS 500. I've also driven one, and it is a "pleasant" car to drive, let's say. It is nowhere near as fun to throw around as any IS... However, I am sure the special edition will dial it up.

If you need interior space, go 300. Otherwise, I would recommend trying to get an IS 500 if you are a fan.

Now comes the final model year of the 300C with the 6.4L V8.

Both the IS500 and 300C are similarly equipped, with similar performance as well. They are all built in very limited quantity, and are probably equally collectible in the future.

I like the ZF 8AT on the 300C and all leather-wrapped panels; but the IS500 has the luxury brand treatment and the build quality is better than Chrysler.

Could we discuss more pros and cons about these 2 cars so that I can have more info to make the decision?
If you're a drivetrain snob, maybe you'd like the 300? The ZF is fantastic.

However, the high-revving V-8 in the Lexus is great. It is super satisfying. Maybe it doesn't have the torque of the 300's 6.4, but the IS is also lighter.

TBH, I do like the idea of the 300C, but it's just too big for me.
Old 09-14-22, 10:53 AM
felixcat
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kanpai
I can tell you that the engine in the 300C is lovely, as a current Scat Pack owner. Sounds great, drives great, huge fun factor. Dare I say it has the better drive train than the Lexus with the ZF 8 speed.

So what I will ask is how much you value safety features and driving assists. The 300C is going to start at $56k, similar to the IS500 base, that may or may not actually exist. To my knowledge, the 300C (or any Stellantis product currently) offers the driving assistance suite the IS500 does. There is no lane keep assist at all on any Stellantis product, which is a big deal to me in the long term.

You want heated seats? $2,000 package for the 300. Adaptive Cruise? Blind spot? $1795 package. So you're already getting near the IS500 Premium. At that point, I am going Lexus with the better tech (which is saying something), better driving assists, and better reliability (there are more stories of these 6.4Ls dying young deaths that you would expect in recent model years).
Thanks for your information. For the 300C, this time Chrysler is selling it "all-inclusive" - all the features and gadgets are standard, the only option you can pick is 3 different colors (black, red, white). For $55k fully loaded, it has great value from my point of view.

Quick Reply: Hard to decide: IS500 or 2023 300C