IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

2023 IS 500 Sales

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-23, 10:27 AM
trippleB
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking back at the US auto market history, there always were someone buying a mass-produced car (thousands or tens of thousands units made), hoping it will be rare and collectible now and future. But they ended up suing the auto makers, because the factory made too many of a specific model which the owners felt that their cars were "less rare" and "less valuable".

1970s:
Cadillac Eldorado convertible buyer sued GM

1980-1990s:
BMW M5 buyer sued BMW

2020s:
Dodge Durango Hellcat owner sued Dodge for making the SUV for more than 1 model year

History will repeat itself again and again.
Old 03-17-23, 02:53 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by trippleB
Looking back at the US auto market history, there always were someone buying a mass-produced car (thousands or tens of thousands units made), hoping it will be rare and collectible now and future. But they ended up suing the auto makers, because the factory made too many of a specific model which the owners felt that their cars were "less rare" and "less valuable".

1970s:
Cadillac Eldorado convertible buyer sued GM

1980-1990s:
BMW M5 buyer sued BMW

2020s:
Dodge Durango Hellcat owner sued Dodge for making the SUV for more than 1 model year

History will repeat itself again and again.
My mom paid $120K for her ‘21 Durango Hellcat and could care less about the number produced. She wanted one because the car spoke to her, not for the supposed exclusivity.
Old 03-17-23, 04:54 PM
IS500SM
Driver

Received 98 Likes on 38 Posts

I paid MSRP for mine a couple weeks back. I'm in SF and the dealer was in LA, couple quick texts and phone call staying firm on MSRP only while they initially tried the $5,000 Mark-up and the $1,000 Cliajet? or whatever the coating is. Within 30 minutes they agreed to MSRP and no add-ons. Paid sticker + tax/registration etc. and picked up the car a few days after. There are some dealers that don't respond or quote via online inquiry or email and the ones that do all want $5-10K over saying these are special cars (which they are but not THAT special) or they have other buyers. The BEST thing you have is your ability to WALK. I was searching Autotrader/Cars.com/Cargurus and the Lexus website daily for 2 weeks and I checked again this week for ****s and giggles and there is more inventory than ever. Be patient, you'll get your car for MSRP or better.

I would've done the deal for the Iridium/Black at Portland, but even just a couple weeks ago they were playing the ADM game so I walked. Hopefully that's changed.
The following 3 users liked this post by IS500SM:
DLPTony (03-17-23), eMAyRCee (03-17-23), Vinnigan (03-18-23)
Old 03-17-23, 05:01 PM
eMAyRCee
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IS500SM
I paid MSRP for mine a couple weeks back. I'm in SF and the dealer was in LA, couple quick texts and phone call staying firm on MSRP only while they initially tried the $5,000 Mark-up and the $1,000 Cliajet? or whatever the coating is. Within 30 minutes they agreed to MSRP and no add-ons. Paid sticker + tax/registration etc. and picked up the car a few days after. There are some dealers that don't respond or quote via online inquiry or email and the ones that do all want $5-10K over saying these are special cars (which they are but not THAT special) or they have other buyers. The BEST thing you have is your ability to WALK. I was searching Autotrader/Cars.com/Cargurus and the Lexus website daily for 2 weeks and I checked again this week for ****s and giggles and there is more inventory than ever. Be patient, you'll get your car for MSRP or better.

I would've done the deal for the Iridium/Black at Portland, but even just a couple weeks ago they were playing the ADM game so I walked. Hopefully that's changed.
I'm getting mine at MSRP. Out the door is around $74k. The dealership said they weren't going to charge me the usual $2500 ADM. I still wanted to go lower but he said he's pretty much all in since these cars are in limited production.. I mean I agree they are.. for now..

and based on the members here... getting this vehicle at MSRP is a fair deal.. and the only ones that gets it below are usually have a long history with their dealership. So I decided to go with it.
At least I know I'm not getting taken advantage on the price.
The following 2 users liked this post by eMAyRCee:
DLPTony (03-17-23), IS500SM (03-18-23)
Old 03-17-23, 05:19 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eMAyRCee
I'm getting mine at MSRP. Out the door is around $74k. The dealership said they weren't going to charge me the usual $2500 ADM. I still wanted to go lower but he said he's pretty much all in since these cars are in limited production.. I mean I agree they are.. for now..

and based on the members here... getting this vehicle at MSRP is a fair deal.. and the only ones that gets it below are usually have a long history with their dealership. So I decided to go with it.
At least I know I'm not getting taken advantage on the price.
You’ll love it, especially after the 621 mile break-in period! 😉
The following 2 users liked this post by DLPTony:
arentz07 (03-17-23), wthrman2 (03-18-23)
Old 03-18-23, 02:10 PM
IS500SM
Driver

Received 98 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
You’ll love it, especially after the 621 mile break-in period! 😉
Is it 621 miles? I need to read the manual. I just crossed 550, need to do moar driving....
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (03-18-23)
Old 03-18-23, 02:27 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Is it 621 miles? I need to read the manual. I just crossed 550, need to do moar driving....
LOL! Any excuse right? I’ve gone on so many milk-runs, but have yet to purchase any. 😈😈

Seriously..,yep it’s 621 miles, then you can let it rip! It’s a beautiful day here today and everyone wanted to race. It was glorious, but I had to take my butt home and park him for a bit. The speeds were getting faster and held longer, making it difficult to look ahead for the cops. When my Spidey-Sense tingles, I listen. 😎
IS500SM (03-18-23)
Old 03-18-23, 04:27 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

It's 621 miles because 1000 kilometers is roughly 621 miles. 1000 kilometers is the break-in period. Japanese car things. Enjoy.
IS500SM (03-18-23)
Old 03-18-23, 04:43 PM
Vinnigan
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

In late January Lexus of Portland was feeding me BS about not selling to people not from Portland. Screw them. Glad to see LA dealers doing business. I used to live in SF and bought my F80 M3 from LA because bay area dealers were mostly crap (Peter Pan is okay). This was back in 2015 though.
IS500SM (03-18-23)
Old 03-18-23, 06:37 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 749 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinnigan
In late January Lexus of Portland was feeding me BS about not selling to people not from Portland. Screw them. Glad to see LA dealers doing business. I used to live in SF and bought my F80 M3 from LA because bay area dealers were mostly crap (Peter Pan is okay). This was back in 2015 though.
Ya, they told me the same thing in Dec 2021. They also had a mandatory anti theft tracking device thing that had to be on every model they sold, supposedly because auto thefts & car jackings were so bad in Portland that their insurance company requires it. Seems a convenient profit source either way.
DLPTony (03-19-23)
Old 03-20-23, 08:18 AM
SonicRob99
Pit Crew

Received 428 Likes on 126 Posts

Ha ha, it’s taking me longer than I anticipated to hit the miles on my break in period. We’ve had some **** late winter early spring weather here, including massive windstorms with trees and branches everywhere. I didn’t dare take the 500 out of the garage for a few days, and I won’t drive her on the interstate until I can get a proper ceramic coat. Neighbors and co-workers laugh at me as the guy who bought a new car and just parked it in bubble wrap.
The following 3 users liked this post by SonicRob99:
arentz07 (03-20-23), DLPTony (03-21-23), wthrman2 (03-20-23)
Old 03-20-23, 08:30 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by SonicRob99
Ha ha, it’s taking me longer than I anticipated to hit the miles on my break in period. We’ve had some **** late winter early spring weather here, including massive windstorms with trees and branches everywhere. I didn’t dare take the 500 out of the garage for a few days, and I won’t drive her on the interstate until I can get a proper ceramic coat. Neighbors and co-workers laugh at me as the guy who bought a new car and just parked it in bubble wrap.
You are more disciplined than I was. I drove it in rain and the general dusty/pollen-y weather and have about 1100 miles on it already, after just over a month. When I got this car, I thought I'd save it for meets and mountain runs and drive it minimally outside of that. So far, that has not been the case... I run errands in it like going to the store and to the doctor's office, and have driven it a few times just to get out of the house. But, the way I see it, that is what this car was meant to do - to be a fun daily.
The following 5 users liked this post by arentz07:
DLPTony (03-21-23), GoHorns (03-20-23), IS500SM (03-20-23), MoltenDebt (03-20-23), SonicRob99 (03-20-23)
Old 03-20-23, 11:52 AM
MoltenDebt
Driver

Received 179 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
You are more disciplined than I was. I drove it in rain and the general dusty/pollen-y weather and have about 1100 miles on it already, after just over a month. When I got this car, I thought I'd save it for meets and mountain runs and drive it minimally outside of that. So far, that has not been the case... I run errands in it like going to the store and to the doctor's office, and have driven it a few times just to get out of the house. But, the way I see it, that is what this car was meant to do - to be a fun daily.
I'm the same way. I've already driven it in the slush, rain, parked under trees, through unpaved state park parking lots, it's filthy right now. If I let myself be scared of it, I know I'll never drive it.
arentz07 (03-20-23)
Old 03-20-23, 03:07 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Well, count me on the opposite end of the spectrum where mine will not even go out in the rain or wet roads to preserve the underbody and suspension to stay like assembly line condition. I have been laughed at and teased but i dont care, i love keeping my baby in the best condition possible

Last edited by wthrman2; 03-20-23 at 03:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
DLPTony (03-21-23), StillSo42 (03-20-23)
Old 03-20-23, 03:12 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Well, count me on the opposite end of the spectrum where mine will not even go out in the rain or wet roads to preserve the underbody and suspension to stay like assembly line condition. I have be laughed at and teased but i dont care, i love keeping my baby in the best condition possible
Underbody is already scraped up on mine despite how clean I try to keep it. Not much we can do there. Suspension? Probably not in the greatest condition either for anyone who likes to stomp on this car. And I think that's all of us.

Having a clean engine bay is probably the only thing you can reasonably control, and quite important in terms of visual appeal/resale value.
wthrman2 (03-20-23)

Quick Reply: 2023 IS 500 Sales