IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

2023 bamboo interior trim?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-22, 05:32 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by Carolina50
I already offered.......LOL
LOL this brings me back to when we used to make the jokes about Carolina and I. Good times...
Old 10-13-22, 05:35 AM
Lexusadict
10th Gear

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Last 4 are AT34
Old 10-13-22, 05:36 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusadict
Last 4 are AT34
Interesting. I guess Lexus may have changed their ways for Japanese built cars then. That's definitely a temporary vin. Your final digits should be all numbers once the car is actually built. I had read that Lexus/Toyota was trialing a new allocation/inventory system so this may be a result of that. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-13-22, 05:44 AM
Lexusadict
10th Gear

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I will update as I am. I have only bought one car from this dealer/salesman but he has yet to say anything that he has not backed up. The trust is there. Which is rare today, unfortunately.
Old 10-27-22, 08:33 PM
rdsterdave
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, mystery solved. I picked up the car today and it did not have bamboo trim, so it was indeed a mistake. Still pretty happy with it though.

The following 6 users liked this post by rdsterdave:
Carolina50 (10-27-22), DLPTony (10-28-22), jororo (10-29-22), tapjoy (10-28-22), TheWizard (03-16-23), wthrman2 (10-28-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-27-22, 08:41 PM
Carolina50
Intermediate

Received 615 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by rdsterdave
Well, mystery solved. I picked up the car today and it did not have bamboo trim, so it was indeed a mistake. Still pretty happy with it though.
Congrats!!!!!
Old 10-27-22, 09:14 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Looks great!
Old 10-27-22, 10:15 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 213 Posts

congrats! what dealer? nor or socal?
Old 10-28-22, 03:42 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,988 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Super nice, congrats! 👏🏽
Old 10-28-22, 05:04 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,687 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Congrats on your 2023 IS 500, it looks great!! Keep us posted on the front apron separation if you could, we are all curious if the 2023s have a fix or they'll keep sagging.
Old 10-28-22, 07:29 AM
rdsterdave
Rookie

Thanks everyone! I got it from Lexus San Diego and the buying experience was great. MSRP + about $1400 in mandatory dealer add-ons ("ceramic" coat and 3m door edge/cup protection film) which is standard practice around here and seems to be on the lower end compared to what a lot of others are charging. No BS at any point. I got on their list back in February and think I was number 6 and I believe this was the 5th car they got, the first 2023. Unfortunately I forgot to ask how many were on the list currently.

I'll definitely keep an eye on the bumper separation and update if I see anything but when I picked it up it looked perfect and after the drive home of about 80 miles it looks the same. I'll get a pic and post it in the relevant thread just as another data point.

Overall I'm still getting used to it as this is my first new car purchase and by far the nicest car I've owned but very happy so far. Pretty much spot on with my expectations. But even though I was prepared for the transmission unsmoothness, it's surprisingly bad and the only element of the car that I feel is out of balance.
The following 3 users liked this post by rdsterdave:
DerrtyBird (10-28-22), macmaster (10-28-22), wthrman2 (10-28-22)
Old 10-28-22, 07:42 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Thanks everyone! I got it from Lexus San Diego and the buying experience was great. MSRP + about $1400 in mandatory dealer add-ons ("ceramic" coat and 3m door edge/cup protection film) which is standard practice around here and seems to be on the lower end compared to what a lot of others are charging. No BS at any point. I got on their list back in February and think I was number 6 and I believe this was the 5th car they got, the first 2023. Unfortunately I forgot to ask how many were on the list currently.

I'll definitely keep an eye on the bumper separation and update if I see anything but when I picked it up it looked perfect and after the drive home of about 80 miles it looks the same. I'll get a pic and post it in the relevant thread just as another data point.

Overall I'm still getting used to it as this is my first new car purchase and by far the nicest car I've owned but very happy so far. Pretty much spot on with my expectations. But even though I was prepared for the transmission unsmoothness, it's surprisingly bad and the only element of the car that I feel is out of balance.
San Diego eh? Awesome...
It looks like they finally sold the CPO 22 Launch Edition they had listed for months @ ~$80k. Probably had to reduce the price given you paid MSRP.
I wonder if the transmission in the 2023 actually got worse. Nah jk, lol. When I bought my 2022 I never noticed the transmission at any point during my 800-mile trip home from the dealership. However, after I started driving my wife's CT200h F Sport more I noticed the IS500 has oddly light steering and a very flamboyant transmission. The CT has more NVH being an older car, but driving it believe it or not, it is a much smoother and better handling experience than the IS500. I prefer it for short trips around town.

What car are you coming from?
Old 10-28-22, 08:09 AM
rdsterdave
Rookie

It's more on the very low speed around town and stop and go stuff (which I sat in a lot of on the drive home) where it just feels clunky and unrefined. On the freeway and at higher speeds/revs it's good. Maybe it'll get a bit better as it adapts over time but it would be nice if they smoothed it out a bit in eco and normal mode. Regardless it's too early to have formed any concrete opinions.

Yeah they did try to sell me the used launch edition they had as well when they had it, I just told them I wasn't interested and wanted to wait for a premium and that was that. The way I see it, that is about the used market value right now and I can't really fault them for asking that, especially with the current supply problems.

I currently drive an 09 Outback and I also have a 96 Miata that's more of a track car. But I have lots of experience with Porsche, BMW and Audi as I worked for a German performance/race car shop in a previous life so I'd consider my experience pretty well rounded.
The following users liked this post:
macmaster (10-28-22)
Old 10-28-22, 08:14 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

It's more on the very low speed around town and stop and go stuff (which I sat in a lot of on the drive home) where it just feels clunky and unrefined. On the freeway and at higher speeds/revs it's good. Maybe it'll get a bit better as it adapts over time but it would be nice if they smoothed it out a bit in eco and normal mode. Regardless it's too early to have formed any concrete opinions.

Yeah they did try to sell me the used launch edition they had as well when they had it, I just told them I wasn't interested and wanted to wait for a premium and that was that. The way I see it, that is about the used market value right now and I can't really fault them for asking that, especially with the current supply problems.

I currently drive an 09 Outback and I also have a 96 Miata that's more of a track car. But I have lots of experience with Porsche, BMW and Audi as I worked for a German performance/race car shop in a previous life so I'd consider my experience pretty well rounded.
Even though you just got the car, youre right on the money about the transmission though at low speeds.

Unless you want to stay loyal to San Diego for some reason, I would recommend Lexus Escondido and Carlsbad for your future service visits. They offer a free lunch/dinner at their fancy restaurants Vintana and The Crossings (a shuttle will take you there) while you wait for your oil change.
Old 10-28-22, 09:00 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,687 Likes on 1,784 Posts

But even though I was prepared for the transmission unsmoothness, it's surprisingly bad and the only element of the car that I feel is out of balance.
For what it's worth, I had a few Lexus IS and RC (2015-2021) all with the 6 speed transmission and I recall when I got my IS 500, I was like OMG, this transmission feels very clunky and so out of place but in no time, I got used to it, so either it got smoother or I am just so used to it now that it doesn't bother me at all, and this, from a guy who is super OCD so give it a bit of time and enjoy your new car
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (10-28-22)

Quick Reply: 2023 bamboo interior trim?