IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 AT Oil Cooler Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-22, 06:53 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Most of us don't need the AT cooler anyways. The money is better spent elsewhere, like on new tires.
The following users liked this post:
MYIS500 (12-23-22)
Old 12-23-22, 07:47 PM
MYIS500
Intermediate

Received 355 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
Most of us don't need the AT cooler anyways. The money is better spent elsewhere, like on new tires.
Yes! Speaking of tires, What is the best size option for a wider tire front and back?
Old 12-23-22, 07:49 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 749 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by dk12
Alright finally got the OEM trans cooler installed, the install went super smooth all in all the trans cooler install took about 1-2 hours, hardest part being removing all the panels, bumper, and under tray. I took plenty of pictures with cool details so instead of making a messy and long post I condensed everything into a nice pdf for everyone to check out. As I point out in the pdf, the car was actually made from the factory to have a trans cooler, they just put a closed loop where the trans cooler lines would've gone. Only modification required was to drill and rivet the crash bar and drill holes into the plastic shroud. It took about a half quart of additional fluid. Being that the ports to add trans cooler lines are already there it would also be very easy for companies to make aftermarket solutions, I believe RR Racing might be pursuing that route with a future trans cooler kit for this car. I will report back after the new year with real temp readings, I took some before readings and once the weather clears up I will take some after readings in the same temps/driving conditions. Also forgot to add, I was going to paint the cooler all black, but I made a quick F logo stencil and painted it that instead, so it doesn't come like that from Lexus.

Here is the link to the pdf: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aQW...ew?usp=sharing
This is perfect. Thanks so much for working up and sharing. And the trans cooler looks great with the silver ‘F’. Well done.
dk12 (12-23-22)
Old 12-23-22, 08:02 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by MYIS500
Yes! Speaking of tires, What is the best size option for a wider tire front and back?
Could probably go up to a 245 in the front and 275 in the rear without any issue.
MYIS500 (12-24-22)
Old 12-23-22, 08:41 PM
dk12
Driver

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonman89
^^ I was thinking the same I am approaching almost 1-year since ownership & never experienced the Front-Apron issue (Knock on Wood). I am worried if I were to go the Trans-Cooler install route this will develop buy taking off & re-installing the front bumper. It's a gamble at this point.
I haven't had the apron issue prior to this either, so I was reluctant taking the bumper off and I was extremely careful that's all. Even the service manuals calls to pull the clip to pop them off and I individually pushed each tab down so I wouldn't have to pop them off. After the install bumper went on perfect and after 200 miles no apron issue. Frankly I've had this same exact apron issue on my es and camry which use the same apron attachment design, and the failure point in both was the cheap plastic Philips screw Lexus uses, the fix for both the es and camry was to replace it with a metal bolt, so worst case ill do that here too.
MYIS500 (12-24-22)
Old 01-05-23, 06:29 PM
lojackfty
Intermediate

Received 221 Likes on 104 Posts

I actually just received my cooler kit from Japan, here's all the part number per the oem manual, installation is definitely gonna take some time but the parts are very nicely made with nice references. Like the bracket to mount the cooler also has slight indentations in it which shows where you should drill the holes in the crash bar and the plastic shroud, so theres no guessing needed. It is in all Japanese but it seems to be a pretty straight forward install . I chose to add a trans cooler because in non track, spirited summer driving temps were reaching 240-250 and even the pre production units had issues of overheating with the cooler in track use. So at least with the trans cooler I won't have that constant headache if the temps might get too hot. Heck even the Lexus service manual states that for high temp, prolonged driving an

external cooler is recommended.

where did part number 10, 14 and 15 go? and did part 16 come in your kit?
Old 01-05-23, 07:08 PM
dk12
Driver

Originally Posted by lojackfty
where did part number 10, 14 and 15 go? and did part 16 come in your kit?
Yes it did, part number 16 was the included diy tool to install the rivets for the cooler brackets, handy tool but I just used my own rivet gun. Parts 14 and 15 are replacement o rings and crush washer for the fill and overflow trans plugs, and part 10 is an extra washer for the cooler line mount.
The following 2 users liked this post by dk12:
MoltenDebt (01-05-23), wthrman2 (01-06-23)
Old 01-05-23, 10:34 PM
lojackfty
Intermediate

Yes it did, part number 16 was the included diy tool to install the rivets for the cooler brackets, handy tool but I just used my own rivet gun. Parts 14 and 15 are replacement o rings and crush washer for the fill and overflow trans plugs, and part 10 is an extra washer for the cooler line mount.
Thank you. On part 10 do you have a picture of where it goes? and can you post a picture of the tool they sent? i ordered straight from the dealership and there is no tool that I know of. I like your install guide, but it does leave some gaps on how it is installed. Im just trying to fill in the gaps.
Old 01-06-23, 09:07 AM
dk12
Driver

Thank you. On part 10 do you have a picture of where it goes? and can you post a picture of the tool they sent? i ordered straight from the dealership and there is no tool that I know of. I like your install guide, but it does leave some gaps on how it is installed. Im just trying to fill in the gaps.
Yeah I'll attach a picture but it goes behind that metal bracket I pointed at, in exact order you would put the bolt thru the metal hose bracket and then behind it put the washer and bolt it in. Nothing special just a regular old washer, I don't have the tool with me but I will attach the pic from the instructions its the silver hexagon tool with the bolt, honestly much easier to use a standard rivet gun like I did.

HydrantHunter (10-01-23)
Old 01-29-23, 09:30 PM
DaOne
Pit Crew

Received 116 Likes on 37 Posts

hey, checking in…Any updates? How are the cooler holding up? I heard that if you take the front bumper off, some of the driver assist sensors will need to be recalibrated by the dealer. Did you have to take you car in for service?
Old 01-29-23, 09:42 PM
dk12
Driver

Originally Posted by DaOne
hey, checking in…Any updates? How are the cooler holding up? I heard that if you take the front bumper off, some of the driver assist sensors will need to be recalibrated by the dealer. Did you have to take you car in for service?
Hi, both coolers have been holding up great, I actually just reinstalled the plastic engine cover back just to make sure there were no leaks for a few weeks. I haven’t gotten around to testing the after temps for the trans cooler bec of bad weather and I want the ambient temp to be around the same when I did before readings. Oil cooler however I can see immediately works well, as whenever I get to highway speeds and good airflow that oil temp gauge drops down. For the sensors I didn’t get them recalibrated. I think the only sensor that needs to be calibrated is the lda is your windshield when those are replaced. I didn’t recalibrate anything in the bumper, cars been perfectly fine and everything works good. Even the TIS service manual doesn’t require recalibration for bumper removal.
MoltenDebt (01-31-23)
Old 06-09-23, 06:09 AM
lojackfty
Intermediate

Yeah I'll attach a picture but it goes behind that metal bracket I pointed at, in exact order you would put the bolt thru the metal hose bracket and then behind it put the washer and bolt it in. Nothing special just a regular old washer, I don't have the tool with me but I will attach the pic from the instructions its the silver hexagon tool with the bolt, honestly much easier to use a standard rivet gun like I did.

in the picture above, the brass looking nut, did you use that? If so, where did it go? Also, do you have a picture of where the cooler actually was bolted/mounted to?
Old 06-09-23, 04:30 PM
lojackfty
Intermediate

can you post the install instructions please?
Old 06-12-23, 10:37 AM
dk12
Driver

in the picture above, the brass looking nut, did you use that? If so, where did it go? Also, do you have a picture of where the cooler actually was bolted/mounted to?
That brass nut is the included rivet install tool, pretty useless tbh so I just used my regular rivet gun, the cooler is mounted to the crash bar, I have a google drive link to all the pics I took here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aQW...9SkJG5MfX/view
Old 06-12-23, 10:47 AM
dk12
Driver

can you post the install instructions please?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17A5...ew?usp=sharing

Quick Reply: IS500 AT Oil Cooler Kit