IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Lexus IS 500 GSF / RCF Brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-23, 01:37 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I messaged him to get some clarity. He says both the BBMS kit and his are comprised of universal parts. They use the same supplier. He says BBMS and he arrived at the same conclusion, and that the main difference is the bracket.
And the rotors!
Old 10-31-23, 01:55 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
And the rotors!
Right, but BBMS offers a customization of the rotors - there are several different options, and I think the one shown in his photo is among those options.
Old 10-31-23, 06:15 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I messaged him to get some clarity. He says both the BBMS kit and his are comprised of universal parts. They use the same supplier. He says BBMS and he arrived at the same conclusion, and that the main difference is the bracket.
Looks like I spoke too soon!
Old 10-31-23, 06:21 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Looks like I spoke too soon!
I'm just relaying what he said. I do not know how valid it is.

I'm pretty much just planning to upgrade pads and fluid anyway, so I am not really sure why I am so invested in this topic.
The following users liked this post:
Bechtold (10-31-23)
Old 12-19-23, 06:30 PM
Pandonsf
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

So now that some people have had the bbms kits on for a while, how’s things holding up and performing?
Old 12-19-23, 06:42 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 811 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Pandonsf
So now that some people have had the bbms kits on for a while, how’s things holding up and performing?
everything’s been great. No complaints.

the pads they ship with are street pads. After some heavy repeated braking, you can start to tell that they’re street only pads. Sometimes I miss the super aggressive race pads like my old RC had, but I don’t want noise. If you want a more aggressive bite and less fade, it’s as simple as sliding new pads in.

the pads that ship with the BBMS kit are super low dust and they haven’t even made so much as a squeak as far as noise goes.

also, my own personal theory here. Obviously the EPB uses its own caliper and it’s a dry caliper, meaning no fluid in it. EPB motor squealing is super common on every older RX/NX with ~60k miles. And it’s internal to the caliper. I think because ours isn’t seeing nearly as much actuation from being part of a wet caliper, and having to actuate a shorter distance, that this setup will be less prone to squealing.

just a theory, time will tell. I’ve put 5k on this kit already, no issues
The following 4 users liked this post by Pittsy:
95bat (12-27-23), cp2 (12-20-23), HighRevs (12-20-23), Pandonsf (12-19-23)
Old 12-27-23, 03:25 PM
OCJACKAL
Pit Crew

Received 150 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks dope.. 1 question though. did you manually fold your mirrors for the pic or did you upgrade to power folding mirrors?
Old 01-02-24, 06:28 PM
TurkishRambo
Driver

Received 113 Likes on 25 Posts

Reporting a major issue that has popped up this past weekend. I shifted into reverse to disengage the parking brake and received an error about the epb not being able to disengage. Tried to move, clear the codes it I was stuck. The code I received was “C060E2A Left Electric Parking Brake Actuator Signal Stuck In Range”.

today I had time to inspect closer. The wiring was seated correctly with no visible corrosion.

I managed to get the caliper off with a mallet. Pretty quickly I noticed an issue with a gasket which was not seated correctly from factory.

its been an extremely mild, wet and humid winter so far up here in Canada, I got concerned that water had gotten into the caliper. After removing this aluminum piece, I was presented with a pool of rusty water. This is what it looks like after a bit of a clean up.

it’s hard to get a photo but this port shows a rusty brown colour on the inside of the caliper, which confirms water got in and caused a seizing issue. I can get you the piston to move in but to back it out, becomes very difficult to get it to the point it needs to, to disengage.

Please do inspect the gaskets if you get this kit, since this issue is easily preventable. I will inspect the other one this weekend to make sure no water is getting in.
Bechtold (01-02-24)
Old 01-02-24, 06:45 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by TurkishRambo
Reporting a major issue that has popped up this past weekend. I shifted into reverse to disengage the parking brake and received an error about the epb not being able to disengage. Tried to move, clear the codes it I was stuck. The code I received was “C060E2A Left Electric Parking Brake Actuator Signal Stuck In Range”.

today I had time to inspect closer. The wiring was seated correctly with no visible corrosion.

I managed to get the caliper off with a mallet. Pretty quickly I noticed an issue with a gasket which was not seated correctly from factory.

its been an extremely mild, wet and humid winter so far up here in Canada, I got concerned that water had gotten into the caliper. After removing this aluminum piece, I was presented with a pool of rusty water. This is what it looks like after a bit of a clean up.

it’s hard to get a photo but this port shows a rusty brown colour on the inside of the caliper, which confirms water got in and caused a seizing issue. I can get you the piston to move in but to back it out, becomes very difficult to get it to the point it needs to, to disengage.

Please do inspect the gaskets if you get this kit, since this issue is easily preventable. I will inspect the other one this weekend to make sure no water is getting in.
Make sure you reach back out to BBMS. They’ll take care of you.
Old 01-02-24, 07:03 PM
TurkishRambo
Driver

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Make sure you reach back out to BBMS. They’ll take care of you.
Yeah definitely. I reached out and seems like it’s going to get sorted. Eddie/BBMS has been solid to work.

i ordered a battery holder/clip to create a 12v tester to make sure the motor is okay as well. Water was coming out of it too, which is probably not great haha
Old 01-03-24, 08:49 AM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

Oh boy, that looks pretty rusty. Sorry to hear about your gasket not being seated properly.

I didn't pay attention to the gasket when I installed EPB but I remembered checking everything one more time before I mounted them.

I think my actuator factory gasket was properly seated with the EPB caliper.

I live in California and I think I drove it once when it was raining (not even heavy rain). Mine is still working perfectly.

EPB works just like from the factory with no issues. The brake works well and everything is working flawlessly.

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to double-check the gasket one more time when I get a chance. Hope you can fix the issue quickly.

Old 01-04-24, 08:34 AM
PapaSmurf500
10th Gear

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Would going with the GTR rotors and RCF calipers change my wheel offset measurement when choosing wheels?

Last edited by PapaSmurf500; 01-05-24 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-07-24, 05:59 PM
TurkishRambo
Driver

Since I’m the unlucky idiot living in snowy wet climate up hear in Canada.

BBMS replaced the calliper got it installed after an inspection and good to go.

literally, less than a week later my right caliper seized up and would not release. Stuck again and not able to go to work.

I have removed the EPB caliper and found that one of the slide pins is heavily corroded. I’m not sure why, but one of the slide pins does not have a typical boot, which exposes quite a bit of the pin itself.

this is what I found after removing the wheel:

Pin after some wire brushing. Didnt change much

this is the other side. A “normal” boot with no visible issues. Slides normally.

Pin removed. note: this involves removing the housing that mounts to the caliper and adapts to the toyota epb motor. This is where I had a failed seal before so be very careful upon reassembly.

Used a 2 inch cup wire brush with a drill and was thankfully able to clean up most of the rust. But it’s been eaten away quite a bit.

Consider this a PSA to grease the absolute **** out of this slide pin on this kit. It WILL rust and corrode, especially if you’re in Canada and unlucky enough to have to drive in the winter.

I used sil-glyde for now, but open to recommendations that are heavy duty and rubber safe. Will keep a close eye on it from now on.

Is this what it’s like to drive a non Lexus product? Not sure how I’m feeling about this purchase now, but I’m stuck with it for now.
Old 02-07-24, 06:21 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Since I’m the unlucky idiot living in snowy wet climate up hear in Canada.

BBMS replaced the calliper got it installed after an inspection and good to go.

literally, less than a week later my right caliper seized up and would not release. Stuck again and not able to go to work.

I have removed the EPB caliper and found that one of the slide pins is heavily corroded. I’m not sure why, but one of the slide pins does not have a typical boot, which exposes quite a bit of the pin itself.

this is what I found after removing the wheel:

Pin after some wire brushing. Didnt change much

this is the other side. A “normal” boot with no visible issues. Slides normally.

Pin removed. note: this involves removing the housing that mounts to the caliper and adapts to the toyota epb motor. This is where I had a failed seal before so be very careful upon reassembly.

Used a 2 inch cup wire brush with a drill and was thankfully able to clean up most of the rust. But it’s been eaten away quite a bit.

Consider this a PSA to grease the absolute **** out of this slide pin on this kit. It WILL rust and corrode, especially if you’re in Canada and unlucky enough to have to drive in the winter.

I used sil-glyde for now, but open to recommendations that are heavy duty and rubber safe. Will keep a close eye on it from now on.

Is this what it’s like to drive a non Lexus product? Not sure how I’m feeling about this purchase now, but I’m stuck with it for now.
Thats just cars in general for ya north of the rust belt. Lexus and some other, nice brands, do more tne on corrosion. Something BBMS probably can’t do. You gotta remember, our cars are really like 15 years old. Lexus has had 15 years to work out issues. Just the price to pay for cool aftermarket parts.
TurkishRambo (02-08-24)
Old 02-07-24, 07:08 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Thats just cars in general for ya north of the rust belt. Lexus and some other, nice brands, do more tne on corrosion. Something BBMS probably can’t do. You gotta remember, our cars are really like 15 years old. Lexus has had 15 years to work out issues. Just the price to pay for cool aftermarket parts.
An inoperable vehicle should never be the price imo.

For the money they're charging this should not happen.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS 500 GSF / RCF Brake upgrade