IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Lexus IS 500 GSF / RCF Brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-24, 07:15 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 808 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
An inoperable vehicle should never be the price imo.

For the money they're charging this should not happen.
To be fair, it is outside influence. Most people living in climates where it’s salty and icy and snowy, either don’t drive their RWD V8 cars in the winter, or they protect them with some sort of fluid film, por15, or some other coating underneath the car. Any steel or even aluminum parts will oxidize and corrode under those conditions. I’m sure the hardware and other bits of suspension aren’t fairing super well.

If BBMS wasn’t taking care of him and basically told him to gfys, I’d probably agree with you, but they didn’t do that. They’ve been taking care of any issues people have been having. From my understanding, they’ve been pretty pleasant to work with.
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (02-08-24)
Old 02-08-24, 06:07 AM
TurkishRambo
Driver

Received 111 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsy
To be fair, it is outside influence. Most people living in climates where it’s salty and icy and snowy, either don’t drive their RWD V8 cars in the winter, or they protect them with some sort of fluid film, por15, or some other coating underneath the car. Any steel or even aluminum parts will oxidize and corrode under those conditions. I’m sure the hardware and other bits of suspension aren’t fairing super well.

If BBMS wasn’t taking care of him and basically told him to gfys, I’d probably agree with you, but they didn’t do that. They’ve been taking care of any issues people have been having. From my understanding, they’ve been pretty pleasant to work with.
I agree. I have no complaints about the service provided. I am hoping I can get a second car. I am also going to go all out insulating the garage and adding a de-humidifier.

I think if folks double check the seat of the seals, and regularly grease the slide pin, it should honestly be good to go without issues.

I do wonder though, would it be possible to create a bracket that leverages the original caliper but only for the EPB?
Old 02-08-24, 07:19 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by TurkishRambo
I do wonder though, would it be possible to create a bracket that leverages the original caliper but only for the EPB?
This is a tasker that member, @350phi , has been working on in his lab. To my recollection, his feedback was that there is not enough room around the knuckle if the oem rotor is used. I also believe he was trying to figure out another bracket if the oem was replaced with the rotors for GSF/RCF.
TurkishRambo (02-08-24)
Old 02-28-24, 11:29 PM
CrimsonF
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

@lojackfty I currently have a Track Edition RC F but considering an IS500 for a bit more practicality and swapping the Carbon Ceramic rotors over, how difficult was it to do and any big issues?

I remember reading some issues coming up earlier on this thread but can't recall if it was due to the compatibility between these rotors/brakes and the IS!
Old 03-02-24, 10:05 AM
lojackfty
Intermediate

Received 221 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by CrimsonF
@lojackfty I currently have a Track Edition RC F but considering an IS500 for a bit more practicality and swapping the Carbon Ceramic rotors over, how difficult was it to do and any big issues?

I remember reading some issues coming up earlier on this thread but can't recall if it was due to the compatibility between these rotors/brakes and the IS!
Not hard at all, I have a track editon and a 500 and GSF i did them all the way around. The track edition dust shields will work on a gsf and for sure the front of the 500, i didn't do the rear of the 500 because it really wasnt necessary. as far as the calipers they all bolt up, but you will need an adapter for the rear of the 500. You will lose the electronic e brake on the 500 and have an error, but 350phi is working on a solution.

text me and ill send pictures if you need better detail then whats posted. 909-855-0299

or the other option is to run track edition calipers with GTR rotors, thats a nice setup too.

Last edited by lojackfty; 03-02-24 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-04-24, 05:39 PM
Dotslash
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Will the GSF dust shield fit the IS500?

EDIT: Looks like it does.

Last edited by Dotslash; 03-04-24 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-05-24, 08:47 AM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 223 Likes on 89 Posts

A time or two recently I've had to hit the brakes pretty hard and have seen what other folks reference with the brakes not feeling very strong, and certainly not confidence inspiring. Maybe I'll wait for the next big sale to grab parts.

Are the OEM caliper options only orange or blue? Neither is great with Atomic Silver IMO...
Old 03-05-24, 08:53 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by Dotslash
Will the GSF dust shield fit the IS500?

EDIT: Looks like it does.
It's too bad the Enkei wheels need spacers. This is such a good upgrade. I gotta go with IS F calipers instead.
Originally Posted by geckornr
A time or two recently I've had to hit the brakes pretty hard and have seen what other folks reference with the brakes not feeling very strong, and certainly not confidence inspiring. Maybe I'll wait for the next big sale to grab parts.

Are the OEM caliper options only orange or blue? Neither is great with Atomic Silver IMO...
Same here, I got a little nervous I couldn't stop once and I do not like that feeling. I have only seen orange and blue on these. The IS F ones are black.
Old 03-05-24, 09:15 AM
geckornr
Pit Crew

Received 223 Likes on 89 Posts

It's too bad the Enkei wheels need spacers. This is such a good upgrade. I gotta go with IS F calipers instead.

Same here, I got a little nervous I couldn't stop once and I do not like that feeling. I have only seen orange and blue on these. The IS F ones are black.
Not a great feeling. I have seen some folks say that just upgrading the pads is a major change...?
Old 03-05-24, 09:48 AM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by geckornr
Not a great feeling. I have seen some folks say that just upgrading the pads is a major change...?
It could be, I haven't read that yet. More aggressive pads will wear out rotors quicker so you might have to find a good balance. I think I'm going to do the IS F calipers, stock rotors since they're lighter 2 piece rotors, and try the Project Mu pads. They're supposed to be good daily driver pads that are low dust and gentle on rotors, but still have enough bite for emergency stops. Not 100% sure on that yet. I wish there were more options for rotors but it seems like we either do factory light weight 2 piece, heavier all steel for cheaper, or carbon ceramic that are $5,000 for a pair. DBA makes a 2 piece rotor that looks like it may fit, but I posted in the other thread and nobody can confirm yet. Their website says it does not fit the OEM hat, but it comes with a new hat so I don't know if that is an issue or not.
geckornr (03-05-24)
Old 03-16-24, 08:53 AM
US500
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey All,
Wanted to post - I just completed this on my 2024 IS500. Thanks to the info from lojackfty, Rodney (Video below) and two folks over on FB - Here's the parts / $ I went with. Exactly as shown in the video, however I did only fronts. I don't want to mess with rear until we have some sort of decent solution for the EPB.

Lexus OEM Parts
4738950020 2 $ 7.59 Brake line Gaskets (1 Per side)
049470W020 2 $ 33.54 Fitting Kit (1 Per side)
477300W160 1 $ 349.38 Blue Brake Caliper (Right, Front)
477500W160 1 $ 349.38 Blue Brake Caliper (Left, Front)

Brembo OE Parts
P83154N 1 $ 66.95 Brembo OE Pads (Front)

-- Bought the two rotors as a kit for $224.95
09.C266.11 1 Brembo OE Rotor (Left, Front)
09.C266.21 1 Brembo OE Rotor (Right, Front)

If you go with OEM brakes you'll need these too:
049450W020 1 $ 15.12 Disc Brake Pad Shim Kit (Front)

Pretty straightforward process:
- Jack car at the jack points
- Turn wheel to one side to give full access to caliper
- Break the brake line connection bolt to the caliper, then hand tight. This is easier done while on the knuckle versus afterwards.
- Normal procedure to remove pads/caliper/rotor
- Leave Caliper hung up while doing the rest
- Cut off about 3/4 inch on the top and bottom ending points of the dust shield. The best way to gauge this is to leave the dust shield on, and hold the new caliper up to it and you can visually see how much to cut
- Paint what was cut with high temp brake caliper paint or the like to prevent rust
- Put dust shield back on, and normal procedure to put caliper, pads and rotor on
- Swing the brake line over to the new caliper
- Bleed brakes, if you have access to a Techstream you can also pull up the bleed procedure on there and it will push fluid through the caliper
- Repeat on drivers side

If anyone ever needs any help on this, feel free to PM me!

Last edited by US500; 03-16-24 at 09:01 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by US500:
BChoCRNA (03-16-24), daily35 (03-17-24), Lentu12321 (05-04-24)
Old 03-16-24, 05:31 PM
95bat
Racer

Did you have to grind your caliper like he did around 8 minutes?
Old 03-16-24, 05:32 PM
US500
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you have to grind your caliper like he did around 8 minutes?
Not for the front, front are just trimming dust shield. Then plug and play (IE Follow normal caliper change procedure)
Old 03-17-24, 01:38 PM
BChoCRNA
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts

Instead of cutting and trimming the dust shield can we just buy the RCF/GSG dust shield and replace it for a cleaner install?

This video shows a RCF/GSG big brake DIY but replaces the dust shield instead of cutting it.

Old 03-17-24, 04:05 PM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by BChoCRNA
Instead of cutting and trimming the dust shield can we just buy the RCF/GSG dust shield and replace it for a cleaner install?

This video shows a RCF/GSG big brake DIY but replaces the dust shield instead of cutting it.

https://youtu.be/tBnUGIm_E7c?si=YEQTL5QnrqkNoITO
I think somewhere up above somebody did say that was an option.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS 500 GSF / RCF Brake upgrade