IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Lexus IS 500 GSF / RCF Brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-23 | 10:05 AM
350phi
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 23usb500
I always have ideas but not the talent to make it happen haha. Wondering if anyone could make some mount or something to run the rcf rear calipers and another small caliper just for the ebrake. Wiring would be easy. Just the brackets to hold the calipers on the correct spot.
that's currently what I'm trying to do.
So far the only caliper that would work is the tesla model s rear caliper. (28-30mm thick rotor) but it's not like you can just order it new from a dealer (which is what I want). you can only find them used from junk yards or ebay sellers. also, the rear knuckle has a lot of upper links that are somewhat in the way of a placement of a caliper too.
The following users liked this post:
LexoticJ (02-05-23)
Old 01-11-23 | 10:29 AM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cp2
any updates for '23 RCF rear brakes? it was stated that the newer models have an e-brake...any confirmation? i'm hoping this will resolve the message on the warning panel/screen.
Found this short write up on the 2023 RC's changes but there's no mention of an electronic e-brake.

Link: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...xus-rc-update/
LexoticJ (02-05-23)
Old 01-11-23 | 10:59 AM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by Racer00J
Found this short write up on the 2023 RC's changes but there's no mention of an electronic e-brake.

Official press release today from Toyota/Lexus of USA also doesn't mention Electronic Parking Brake either
WHAT’S NEW: 2023 Lexus RC and RC F - Lexus USA Newsroom

just checked today, EPC catalog list MY2023 but shows all the older MY RCF parts still.
LexoticJ (02-05-23)
Old 01-11-23 | 11:16 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by specONE
Official press release today from Toyota/Lexus of USA also doesn't mention Electronic Parking Brake either
WHAT’S NEW: 2023 Lexus RC and RC F - Lexus USA Newsroom

just checked today, EPC catalog list MY2023 but shows all the older MY RCF parts still.
Originally Posted by Racer00J

If you go here, go to images, in the only interior image that is posted you'll see in the bottom right that the vehicle has a Brake Hold function, which is indicative of an EPB.
2023 Lexus RC F - Lexus USA Newsroom
The following 2 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
LexoticJ (02-05-23), specONE (01-11-23)
Old 01-11-23 | 02:58 PM
cp2
Racer

so you're saying is, "i (we) have a chance!"
The following 2 users liked this post by cp2:
LexoticJ (02-05-23), TipsyTonio (01-11-23)
Old 01-11-23 | 03:07 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by cp2
so you're saying is, "i (we) have a chance!"
I'm 99% confident it'll be a direct swap. I was the one that sourced the owner's manuals for the RC F about 1.5-2 months ago and from the moment I saw the EPB I knew it was game on.
LexoticJ (02-05-23)
Old 01-11-23 | 03:34 PM
specONE
Racer

I just hope they don't do drum parking brake setup with actuator on cables to pull like they did on the GSF that also had Electronic Parking Brakes
Old 01-11-23 | 04:29 PM
23usb500
Driver

I just hope they don't do drum parking brake setup with actuator on cables to pull like they did on the GSF that also had Electronic Parking Brakes
my guess is that exactly. They don’t have to make anything. They no it works and fits.
Old 01-11-23 | 10:06 PM
lojackfty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 350phi
that's currently what I'm trying to do.
So far the only caliper that would work is the tesla model s rear caliper. (28-30mm thick rotor) but it's not like you can just order it new from a dealer (which is what I want). you can only find them used from junk yards or ebay sellers. also, the rear knuckle has a lot of upper links that are somewhat in the way of a placement of a caliper too.
you got this Phi
LexoticJ (02-05-23)
Old 01-12-23 | 07:12 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Is this how all Lexus models use the e-brake? I haven't looked at my wife's NX. But it wouldn't surprise me if they all utilized the same type of system throughout the entire Lexus lineup for cost savings...etc.
I haven't had to change the read brake pads yet on her vehicle so I haven't given it much thought to be honest. I'll see if I can take a looksies sometime.

This makes me like my manual brake on the RCF..lol. I know some think it's janky but to me it's one less thing to go wrong with it being manual.

-Nigel
Old 01-12-23 | 01:37 PM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by nigel821
Is this how all Lexus models use the e-brake? I haven't looked at my wife's NX. But it wouldn't surprise me if they all utilized the same type of system throughout the entire Lexus lineup for cost savings...etc.
I haven't had to change the read brake pads yet on her vehicle so I haven't given it much thought to be honest. I'll see if I can take a looksies sometime.

This makes me like my manual brake on the RCF..lol. I know some think it's janky but to me it's one less thing to go wrong with it being manual.

-Nigel
no NX is sliding pin caliper with Electronic actuator motor mounted to it for parking brake. This typically has been what Toyota implemented majority of its current lineup for Toyota and Lexus from what I can tell so far.
The interesting one is the standard Corollas uses this same system of Slide pin caliper in the rear with Electronic parking Brake motor, but when they released the GR Corolla with the one piece Brake caliper all around, you will notice they designed the car back to Cable Parking Brake and old school manual pull lever.

for the NX when changing pads, you will have to put the Parking brakes into Service mode and wind the motor all the way back before you can reseat the caliper piston. if you don't the piston won't budge at all. ask me how I know. (I just recently had to do the rear brake pads on my NX)

Last edited by specONE; 01-12-23 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-16-23 | 11:22 PM
lojackfty
Intermediate

https://global.toyota/jp/newsroom/le...=ag478_from_kv

Improve driver usability andSportyhighlightedinstrument panel design

Common to RC/RC F

• The multimedia system uses a touch panel display that enables intuitive operation, improving operability for the driver.
  • The design of the instrument panel upper has been revamped along with the touch screen display. By making the shape of the side register round like the meter, clock, engine switch, etc., the unified sportiness is emphasized.

RC F

• All models come standard with an electric parking brake with a brake hold function that keeps the brake applied when the brake pedal is depressed to stop the vehicle, reducing the burden on the driver. (RC setting completed)
I bet they did it like they did with the GSF. They would not redesign the rear BREMBO caliper for 1 possible two production years. Or they added a second brake to function as the electronic brake.
specONE (01-17-23)
Old 01-17-23 | 09:25 PM
cp2
Racer

so with that being said, how difficult would it be to set up the is500 w/ that of the GSF/possible '23 RCF ebrake?
Old 01-17-23 | 11:08 PM
lojackfty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cp2
so with that being said, how difficult would it be to set up the is500 w/ that of the GSF/possible '23 RCF ebrake?
two completely different processes. The GSF uses actuators, the IS 500 doesn't to my knowledge plus the setups are completely different.
Old 01-18-23 | 10:09 AM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by cp2
Originally Posted by lojackfty
two completely different processes. The GSF uses actuators, the IS 500 doesn't to my knowledge plus the setups are completely different.
the IS500 uses actuators mounted to the calipers.

The GSF Parking brakes system is also Actuator but a large motor that pulls two cables. This Module has logic on it (unlike the IS500 is just a two wire actuator to move the motor in either direction).

Here's example of the GSF Parking Brake Motor system:

and IS500 (and typical Toyota/Lexus) Brake Actuator that mounts onto the rear caliper:

Quick Reply: Lexus IS 500 GSF / RCF Brake upgrade