IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

IS500 or GS F

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-22, 09:25 PM
CplClegg
Driver

Received 174 Likes on 49 Posts
Default IS500 or GS F

After a long waiting period I received a call recently from my local dealer about a molten pearl IS coming first of the year, and im up on the list. After much deliberation I think I'd prefer an IS over the TLX Type S Ive had a deposit on for even longer than Ive been waiting on a IS. My question being, who here prefers the GS F over their IS, if anyone?
I need to make the decision on which im going to try and get, a used GS F around the price of a new IS or this molten IS coming first of the year.

For me, I like the idea of a GT car and I'll be trading my LS430 in on the deal which I love. I might do an occasional track day, but not looking to build a race car from either platform, rather a sporty driver. I own a w221 Merc and will likely daily it over either lexus I choose.
Ive done a bit of reading on both models and all ive determined is that theyre both fantastic vehicles, and that I cant make up my mind. If noticed a few of the members here have owned both cars so I come and ask whats the opinion of those who have.
The following users liked this post:
macmaster (12-25-22)
Old 12-25-22, 09:34 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by CplClegg
After a long waiting period I received a call recently from my local dealer about a molten pearl IS coming first of the year, and im up on the list. After much deliberation I think I'd prefer an IS over the TLX Type S Ive had a deposit on for even longer than Ive been waiting on a IS. My question being, who here prefers the GS F over their IS, if anyone?
I need to make the decision on which im going to try and get, a used GS F around the price of a new IS or this molten IS coming first of the year.

For me, I like the idea of a GT car and I'll be trading my LS430 in on the deal which I love. I might do an occasional track day, but not looking to build a race car from either platform, rather a sporty driver. I own a w221 Merc and will likely daily it over either lexus I choose.
Ive done a bit of reading on both models and all ive determined is that theyre both fantastic vehicles, and that I cant make up my mind. If noticed a few of the members here have owned both cars so I come and ask whats the opinion of those who have.
Get a GS F if you drive hard or plan to track it.

GS F is a better handling car and more luxurious with real leather and more spaciousness. It also has the bits to handle the track. But if you want a new car that you dont have to worry about whether some dude trashed, then the IS500 is the one to get.

Exterior styling, longevity, and rarity probably goes to the IS500 though. That TVD on the GS F can require repair.
CplClegg (12-25-22)
Old 12-26-22, 06:41 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

I always wanted a GS F until I sat in one. I didn't like the seats. The IS is more comfortable to me with newer tech, but less luxurious. I have not driven a GS F so no comparison there.

If you already have a daily in the Merc will this just be a fun car?
CplClegg (12-26-22)
Old 12-26-22, 07:02 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Gsf is still a great daily driver despite its track readiness.
spacious. Comfortable. Rare. Reliable. The tech is on the old side though.
I’d pick the GSF again over an IS with a v8.
CplClegg (12-26-22)
Old 12-26-22, 10:02 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,162 Likes on 343 Posts

The GSF is an actual "F" product so it will come standard with the following:

-Torque Vectoring Differential
-Oil Cooler
-Trans Cooler

I also had a TLX Type-S (Apex Blue) on deposit but back in January got a IS500 LE locally at msrp. I took this shot summer of 2020 at my local lexus dealer of a white GSF.

Last edited by Moonman89; 12-26-22 at 10:08 AM.
DLPTony (12-26-22)
Old 12-26-22, 11:04 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

I love the GS F, but I’m never going to track anything and the car is just too big for my preference. If you’re looking for a car that can do it all (Track, GT, and Family Hauler), the GS F is for you.
CplClegg (12-26-22)
Old 12-26-22, 01:32 PM
CplClegg
Driver

Received 174 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
Exterior styling, longevity, and rarity probably goes to the IS500 though. That TVD on the GS F can require repair.
I can't decide which I prefer for styling, I think the gs f is a great looking car, but they really struck gold with the front end of the IS. I read about a few tvd issues can't believe those modules are so expensive.
I believe the IS will be a bulletproof platform and more reliable to haul be through this electric car phase..

Originally Posted by 95bat
If you already have a daily in the Merc will this just be a fun car?
Mostly yes for fun, and the reliable choice for road trips that aren't airway delegated to the LX.
How tall are you? My biggest concern on the IS would be size. I'm 6'2 and slim I've been in several 2nd generation IS that just didn't have the leg room I would prefer.

Originally Posted by DLPTony
I love the GS F, but I’m never going to track anything and the car is just too big for my preference. If you’re looking for a car that can do it all (Track, GT, and Family Hauler), the GS F is for you.
Does GS F have the folder sized door pockets the open like previous generation lexus vehicles?
Old 12-26-22, 01:38 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Knowing you’re 6 feet I would rec the GS F then, esp if you’re good with the styling. Most ppl are turned off by the GS F’s frumpy shape.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
CplClegg (12-26-22), DLPTony (12-26-22)
Old 12-26-22, 02:24 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Mostly yes for fun, and the reliable choice for road trips that aren't airway delegated to the LX.
How tall are you? My biggest concern on the IS would be size. I'm 6'2 and slim I've been in several 2nd generation IS that just didn't have the leg room I would prefer.
Leg room for you and passengers? I am 6'2 also and I fit fine, but not many people will sit comfortably behind me. It's more like a 3 1/2 person car lol not a true 4 seater.

My only gripe is that the rear view mirror doesn't adjust all the way up so I don't have a perfect view out the back unless I scoot my butt down a little bit.

Also, I have a couple inches of headroom still and my seat isn't all the way back either. I think somebody even taller could fit, just not have perfect rear view mirror visibility.
CplClegg (12-26-22)
Old 12-26-22, 03:57 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

It’s been years since I’ve ridden in one, so I honestly do not remember. In general most innocuous things like pockets and certain mechanical bits (turn signals, cruise control stalk, etc) are shared amongst all models. So it’s possible!
Old 12-26-22, 10:17 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

Wasn't expecting it but the 3rd gen IS is a huge improvement in rear seat room versus the 2nd gen - no need to bear hug the steering wheel if someone is seated behind me like my old 2nd gen required. Anecdotally my nearly octogenarian 6'6" ML S580 driving father-in-law used our IS500 during a recent extended visit with no issue or complaint whatsoever.

As to the choice between a GS-F vs IS500, guessing every person who bought an IS500 debated getting a low mileage GS-F instead. Personal opinion of course, but couldn't convince myself to live with the GS's somewhat frumpy exterior styling. Just can't see it aging well at all ... honestly feels like it hasn't already. And the IS's cockpit style dash/interior is much more appealing and driver centric than the GS's wide & protruding dash. But I would love to have the high seat bolsters of the GS-F, although the IS's seats are much more comfortable than the few GS's that I've driven.

Also the IS's touchscreen eliminates the huge annoyance of living with recent Lexus infotainment systems. Would have daily self-induced male pattern baldness if had to do everything through the touchpad like the GS would require.

The GS-F's better brakes and oil & transmission coolers would've been nice but if actually planning on tracking a luxury sports sedan then those things are easy enough to add/upgrade. And let's be honest - neither the GS-F nor the IS500 feel like the right tool for the job if looking to do track days, even if one would be better at it than the other.
The following 6 users liked this post by jororo:
CplClegg (12-27-22), DLPTony (12-27-22), kcarr91 (12-27-22), macmaster (12-26-22), vpar23 (12-26-22), wthrman2 (12-27-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-26-22, 10:52 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

^nailed it
wthrman2 (12-27-22)
Old 12-26-22, 11:21 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

I can't imagine using either a GSF or an IS500 as a track car.
Old 12-27-22, 04:09 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jororo
Also the IS's touchscreen eliminates the huge annoyance of living with recent Lexus infotainment systems. Would have daily self-induced male pattern baldness if had to do everything through the touchpad like the GS would require.
LOL!! And that, ladies and gentlemen, will most likely be the last hilariously poignant ClubLexus quote of 2022. Thank you and good night! 😂