IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Oil maintenance intervals

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-23, 11:33 AM
gcmak
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DLPTony
Probably unfounded, but early in 2022 I read several posts about the quality of the oil from the factory. Due to COVID issues and intermittent closings, the standard checks and balances were possibly not up to snuff. I did not know if it was true, but the concern was enough that at 1000 miles I paid to have the oil changed. Waited until 5k to use the complimentary free service and incidentally, I need to make an appointment for the 10k service.
I plan on doing the same anyways. What did Lexus charge for an oil change? I know this will vary by region with labor rates mostly.
Old 01-04-23, 11:40 AM
gcmak
Driver

Originally Posted by tapjoy
As far as I know, no. That is something to do with them being able to claim a certain MPG by having the car start in normal or eco.
Our owners manual states that the car will restart in Normal mode if the car was left in Custom/Sport S/Sport S+.
The car will remain in Eco or Normal modes on restarts.
Old 01-04-23, 01:32 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,993 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by gcmak
I plan on doing the same anyways. What did Lexus charge for an oil change? I know this will vary by region with labor rates mostly.
I paid $108.00 total for the 1k mile oil change and the 5k was complimentary.
The following users liked this post:
gcmak (01-04-23)
Old 01-15-23, 09:43 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Received 981 Likes on 468 Posts

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, so I figured it fit here, since it was related to the maintenance.

I brought my car in for the 1k/1 Month scheduled maintenance. When I picked it up, I go to head out of the parking lot and my blinkers didn't work, as they weren't illuminating on the dash and the clicking was rapid as if indicating they were out. I quickly brought it back to the shop and explained what was going on. They tried to diagnose it and the rep noticed a wire hanging from the footwell. It was my dashcam wire. They brought the car back and had to replace a fuse. I peeked under and noticed they installed it wrong, so I had to fix it upon returning home. I assumed it was an honest mistake and a foot caught the wire. Yesterday, I realized they also undid the wiring from the main cam which led to the rear cam. This makes me believe it wasn't an honest mistake.

I wrote a response to the dealer from their "how did we do?" email stating the situation. If their policy is a standard "we don't do dashcams in our service area", I can live with that. But, this wasn't communicated to me at all, and their attempt to disable my camera caused a short and a minor inconvenience to me. I likely won't be returning for them for service, as my trust has been broken, regardless of their reasoning. Really bums me out as I expected some level of giving a **** from a Lexus dealer.
Old 01-15-23, 09:54 AM
gcmak
Driver

Originally Posted by Kanpai
. I likely won't be returning for them for service, as my trust has been broken, regardless of their reasoning. Really bums me out as I expected some level of giving a **** from a Lexus dealer.
If you find it worth your time and effort, reach out to the service manager at that branch and also contact Lexus of America. That type of practice is fairly old school but communication should always be number one. Your service advisor should have let you know what they found and what they did.

If fuse replacement was not documented on your paperwork, that’s just added support in your favor.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.
DLPTony (01-15-23)
Old 01-15-23, 10:14 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Originally Posted by gcmak
If you find it worth your time and effort, reach out to the service manager at that branch and also contact Lexus of America. That type of practice is fairly old school but communication should always be number one. Your service advisor should have let you know what they found and what they did.

If fuse replacement was not documented on your paperwork, that’s just added support in your favor.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.
I actually did respond directly to the service manager, trying to see what their story is
gcmak (01-15-23)
Old 01-15-23, 10:26 AM
gcmak
Driver

Originally Posted by DLPTony
I paid $108.00 total for the 1k mile oil change and the 5k was complimentary.
I should follow-up. Mine was $135 out the door (which is ~$20-$30 cheaper b/c we don't use synthetic motor oil).

I actually did respond directly to the service manager, trying to see what their story is
Good luck and if it's not a satisfactory response, let Lexus corporate know.
My Lexus dealer - while not too knowledgeable about this car yet - did not tamper with my dash cam, they had no problem taking a used oil sample for me (I provided the bottle), and asked if I wanted a wash or not b/c they know some people can be particular about using the swirl-o-matic. I still think their communication and automations could be improved (two Toyota dealers nearby that have more sophisticated systems) throughout the service process, since they could text/call.
Old 01-15-23, 12:09 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, so I figured it fit here, since it was related to the maintenance.

I brought my car in for the 1k/1 Month scheduled maintenance. When I picked it up, I go to head out of the parking lot and my blinkers didn't work, as they weren't illuminating on the dash and the clicking was rapid as if indicating they were out. I quickly brought it back to the shop and explained what was going on. They tried to diagnose it and the rep noticed a wire hanging from the footwell. It was my dashcam wire. They brought the car back and had to replace a fuse. I peeked under and noticed they installed it wrong, so I had to fix it upon returning home. I assumed it was an honest mistake and a foot caught the wire. Yesterday, I realized they also undid the wiring from the main cam which led to the rear cam. This makes me believe it wasn't an honest mistake.

I wrote a response to the dealer from their "how did we do?" email stating the situation. If their policy is a standard "we don't do dashcams in our service area", I can live with that. But, this wasn't communicated to me at all, and their attempt to disable my camera caused a short and a minor inconvenience to me. I likely won't be returning for them for service, as my trust has been broken, regardless of their reasoning. Really bums me out as I expected some level of giving a **** from a Lexus dealer.
You see folks, the 1k mile service is pointless. May even cause more problems. If it ain’t broke…
Old 01-15-23, 12:37 PM
Kanpai
Instructor

Originally Posted by macmaster
You see folks, the 1k mile service is pointless. May even cause more problems. If it ain’t broke…
If anything, it wasn't pointless, because it showed me that I shouldn't have blind faith in this dealer to do a real service. If I can't trust them to do the visual inspection, how much should I trust them to do something meaningful?
Carolina50 (01-15-23)
Old 01-15-23, 12:56 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

If anything, it wasn't pointless, because it showed me that I shouldn't have blind faith in this dealer to do a real service. If I can't trust them to do the visual inspection, how much should I trust them to do something meaningful?
That’s a great point! I take back what I said then — y’all should do a 1k as an aptitude check.

btw is this your normal dealership?
Old 01-15-23, 01:17 PM
Kanpai
Instructor

Originally Posted by macmaster
That’s a great point! I take back what I said then — y’all should do a 1k as an aptitude check.

btw is this your normal dealership?
It's the one I bought it from, but it's not the closest to me. I went to them to show some loyalty, but I have two that are closer. I also have a family friend who is a retired Lexus mechanic who I would likely use after the warranty period ends, so I'll be doing the basic maintenance at a dealer for the time being in case anything "warranty related" pops up and they try to find reasons to deny it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kanpai:
gcmak (01-16-23), macmaster (01-15-23)
Old 01-16-23, 08:58 PM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

It's the one I bought it from, but it's not the closest to me. I went to them to show some loyalty, but I have two that are closer. I also have a family friend who is a retired Lexus mechanic who I would likely use after the warranty period ends, so I'll be doing the basic maintenance at a dealer for the time being in case anything "warranty related" pops up and they try to find reasons to deny it.

you need to leave a negative review of your experience on google and when the survey comes from Lexus. Dealers often get away with this crap and they think there is no repercussions but corporate do give perks on survey results hence the dealers take it very seriously. Even if you don’t trust them, it means that the slim chance they won’t do this to another customer and be more careful next time then it’s worth it.

my understanding is that anything less than 5 stars and the service managers don’t get commission or a piece gets removed.

if you had pictures that would of been great too in the review.
Old 01-17-23, 05:29 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

And this is why the FitCamX is the best dash cam to have. My prior car had a dash cam like yours and they always unplugged it (never did anything as bad as with your case but still.) Now they either don't see the camera, or they don't know how to turn it off. I've had 0 issues thusfar.
Old 01-17-23, 07:46 AM
Kanpai
Instructor

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
And this is why the FitCamX is the best dash cam to have. My prior car had a dash cam like yours and they always unplugged it (never did anything as bad as with your case but still.) Now they either don't see the camera, or they don't know how to turn it off. I've had 0 issues thusfar.
I bought the camera I did because I wanted dual (front and back) and parking mode.

After this, and issues with the parking mode (battery cutoff not working), my purchase seems to be less than ideal lol
The point still stands that I'm butthurt about them unplugging everything
Old 01-17-23, 07:47 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

I bought the camera I did because I wanted dual (front and back) and parking mode.

After this, and issues with the parking mode (battery cutoff not working), my purchase seems to be less than ideal lol
The point still stands that I'm butthurt about them unplugging everything
all of the features you listed are an option with the Fitcamx
Kanpai (01-17-23)

Quick Reply: Oil maintenance intervals