IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Taking delivery of my IS 500 on New Years Eve

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-22, 03:15 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

Now that's the right way to spend NYE!
The following users liked this post:
DLPTony (12-31-22)
Old 12-31-22, 03:32 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Now that's the right way to spend NYE!
It was an adventure. I’m going out for dinner a bottle of Mercury Head cab is in my future. The IS 500 will be at home.

First problem. It won’t fit in my garage. One plus of the Miata was that it was tiny, allowing more garage room for tools. I’m going to need to move my welder and welding table tomorrow. She’ll have to sleep outside tonight. The other bay is occupied by my 1970 Chevelle SuperSport 454. Two V8’s in the garage again will be cool.
The following 2 users liked this post by unixadm:
Answer (12-31-22), DLPTony (12-31-22)
Old 12-31-22, 04:00 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Originally Posted by unixadm
The other bay is occupied by my 1970 Chevelle SuperSport 454. Two V8’s in the garage again will be cool.
That is SUPER cool!

1. So glad you made it home safely.
2. Drivers illiciting panic attacks will remain. 😞😜

I pray to Jesus daily to help us be very aware of other drivers and situations. 😎
Old 12-31-22, 09:24 PM
gcmak
Driver

Received 82 Likes on 23 Posts

First mod. All weather mats. Showed up 30 mins after I got home. Radar detector install tomorrow.

I also got the connected services activated.
Congrats on the car. I got mine this week from SoCal and made a trip over to vegas before coming back to the bay. 800+miles in 3 days, break-in complete! haha. Where did you get the mats from and any lead on a rubber trunk tray? Thanks!
DLPTony (12-31-22)
Old 12-31-22, 11:15 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gcmak
Congrats on the car. I got mine this week from SoCal and made a trip over to vegas before coming back to the bay. 800+miles in 3 days, break-in complete! haha. Where did you get the mats from and any lead on a rubber trunk tray? Thanks!
That’s awesome! I got the mats off Amazon. Never used this brand but wanted to try something new besides Weathertechs.

3D MAXpider L1LX03401509 Complete Set Custom Fit All-Weather Floor Mat for Select Lexus IS Models - Kagu Rubber (Black) https://a.co/d/ah3SCKY

gcmak (01-01-23)
Old 12-31-22, 11:19 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by gcmak
where in CA are you located? I have both a set of Lexus all weather mats and the regular carpet ones but would consider selling the all weathers
Old 01-01-23, 02:19 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Got the car into the garage. Lol.

Also installed a Uniden R3 radar detector I pulled from the Miata. Micro mirror taps I ground down to a sharp point with a Dremel were necessary. Took about 20 mins to install.

Last edited by unixadm; 01-01-23 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-01-23, 02:59 PM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 73 Posts

Got the car into the garage. Lol.

Also installed a Uniden R3 radar detector I pulled from the Miata. Micro mirror taps I ground down to a sharp point with a Dremel we’re necessary. Took about 20 mins to install.
congrats on the new purchase. I like the color! Hey I also have R3 uniden pulled from my old sti and just sitting there. Where did u tap the two wires to again? Is that red wire going into 1st pin? Thanks!
Old 01-01-23, 03:11 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 08sgmis350
congrats on the new purchase. I like the color! Hey I also have R3 uniden pulled from my old sti and just sitting there. Where did u tap the two wires to again? Is that red wire going into 1st pin? Thanks!
Correct. Pin 1 for +12v and pin 2 for ground. That will give you switched ignition. Pin 6 is constant +12v and is the only wire on that row. You need very small mirror taps. I bought a 3 pack kit from Amazon for $15 which had cables with three different sizes. Sharpening the pin helped a lot. It’s a very small 10 socket connector. If you need help with the trim removal just let me know.

There’s a small cover you pull down first with two clips. Insert your finger between it and the headliner and pull it down gentle. The main cover slides parallel to the windshield and is attached with two clips and two slides. Meaning you push it / slide it down the windshield towards the defroster vents. Do not pull it down towards the console.
Old 01-01-23, 03:33 PM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 73 Posts

Correct. Pin 1 for +12v and pin 2 for ground. That will give you switched ignition. Pin 6 is constant +12v and is the only wire on that row. You need very small mirror taps. I bought a 3 pack kit from Amazon for $15 which had cables with three different sizes. Sharpening the pin helped a lot. It’s a very small 10 socket connector. If you need help with the trim removal just let me know.

There’s a small cover you pull down first with two clips. Insert your finger between it and the headliner and pull it down gentle. The main cover slides parallel to the windshield and is attached with two clips and two slides. Meaning you push it / slide it down the windshield towards the defroster vents. Do not pull it down towards the console.
Hey, I also bought that 3 pack kit from Amazon long time ago haha. Thanks for the instructions, I was lazy to tap the wires with multi meter lol. Now I know where to tap it! Thank you. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-23, 03:34 PM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 3,956 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Correct. Pin 1 for +12v and pin 2 for ground. That will give you switched ignition. Pin 6 is constant +12v and is the only wire on that row. You need very small mirror taps..
My God, alright for you! No way I could do this on a brand new car. 👏🏽
wthrman2 (01-02-23)
Old 01-01-23, 04:55 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DLPTony
My God, alright for you! No way I could do this on a brand new car. 👏🏽
lol. It’s not brand new. It’s a day old with 206 miles on it….. I’ve been a car guy my entire life. Let’s just say I’m handy. Plus I work for ALLDATA, so I just pulled up the repair info and wiring diagram for the IS 500. Kinda cheated. 🤣
DLPTony (01-01-23)
Old 01-01-23, 08:47 PM
rdsterdave
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

lol. It’s not brand new. It’s a day old with 206 miles on it….. I’ve been a car guy my entire life. Let’s just say I’m handy. Plus I work for ALLDATA, so I just pulled up the repair info and wiring diagram for the IS 500. Kinda cheated. 🤣
Any chance you could help me figure out which wires I need to switch around to get the shifter to work in the right direction in manual mode?
Old 01-01-23, 09:25 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rdsterdave
Any chance you could help me figure out which wires I need to switch around to get the shifter to work in the right direction in manual mode?
I didn’t spend much time looking at this but it would appear swapping the pink and violet wires at the shifter connector could switch the manual mode orientation. This diagram snip is for the 2022. 2023 is likely similar if not identical.

You’re on your own though. I’d certainly test continuity using a DVOM with the shifter unplugged to verify the correct wires. The brown wire seems to complete the circuit for both the shifter and paddles.
jororo (01-02-23)
Old 01-01-23, 09:31 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Scheduling PPF, ceramic coating, and tint tomorrow. They said they should be able to get me in this week. It’s going to be raining most of this week so no harm in not having the car for a few days.

I also ordered the RCF lower control arm bushings. I realize they’re not as good as RR or Figs, but I didn’t want to change the NVH much. I’ll install those in the next month or so. I have a set of QuickJacks which will make this a bit easier in the garage.
gcmak (01-01-23)

Quick Reply: Taking delivery of my IS 500 on New Years Eve