IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

O2 Sensor Tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-23, 03:17 PM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 42 Posts
Default O2 Sensor Tool

Hi,

I recently bought a RR-Racing Bazooka exhaust and I've hit a little snag with the O2 sensors.
I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with a few questions:
  1. What size socket do I need? A link to the part would be appreciated.
    I tried two different sockets (7/8"), unfornuatley one was two small in length and the other was too long so I could not reach the actual bolt inside the cylinder thing surounding the sensor.
  2. Since I'm replacing the exhaust and not the sensors can I remove them without unplugging them or will that cause damage to the wires or other compnents?
  3. If the sensor is seized, is it safe to use something like WD40 to loosen them or will that damage the sensor
Thank-you guys in advance.
Old 01-02-23, 03:54 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 730 Likes on 262 Posts

There’s a special socket to remove the o2 sensor. Can be seen in this video about 55 seconds in. Not my video but I bet Toyota/Lexus parts department or even maybe an Autozone type tool borrowing could get you what you’d need.

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...et/272729_0_0?

Last edited by jororo; 01-02-23 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-03-23, 06:04 PM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jororo
There’s a special socket to remove the o2 sensor. Can be seen in this video about 55 seconds in. Not my video but I bet Toyota/Lexus parts department or even maybe an Autozone type tool borrowing could get you what you’d need.

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...et/272729_0_0?

https://youtu.be/A9RcNZSrWOQ
Thanks alot, that video helped.
I was able to find the O2 sensor tool locally.
I'm almost done with the install but I ran into another issue. One of the pipes is not inserting all the way into the mid pipe. I tried some elbow grease but it won't budge so now I'm thinking of trying a pipe expander tool or heating up the pipe and hammering in it with a block of wood or mallet to prevent damage. Any ideas are welcome.
Old 01-03-23, 09:28 PM
unixadm
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by lexussingh
Thanks alot, that video helped.
I was able to find the O2 sensor tool locally.
I'm almost done with the install but I ran into another issue. One of the pipes is not inserting all the way into the mid pipe. I tried some elbow grease but it won't budge so now I'm thinking of trying a pipe expander tool or heating up the pipe and hammering in it with a block of wood or mallet to prevent damage. Any ideas are welcome.
check to make sure nothing is dented or crushed. Since it’s likely aft of the O2 sensors, try lubricating the slip joint if everything looks ok. Light tapping with a block of wood is ok. Also check for burrs on the pipes. A pipe expander is also viable but buy a decent one and don’t go crazy with it if you go that route.
Old 01-06-23, 11:56 AM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by unixadm
check to make sure nothing is dented or crushed. Since it’s likely aft of the O2 sensors, try lubricating the slip joint if everything looks ok. Light tapping with a block of wood is ok. Also check for burrs on the pipes. A pipe expander is also viable but buy a decent one and don’t go crazy with it if you go that route.
I was able to get the slip joint on with a mallet and a WD 40. My exhaust system is completely installed except the wiring connections. I don't like the idea of splicing into wires, so I might put a small battery in the trunk.
Old 01-07-23, 07:38 AM
jororo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexussingh
I was able to get the slip joint on with a mallet and a WD 40. My exhaust system is completely installed except the wiring connections. I don't like the idea of splicing into wires, so I might put a small battery in the trunk.
Any chance you can post a pic or two of the wiring diagram RR Racing provided for their exhaust?Curious as to the complexity/hassle myself. The vacuum-based valved exhausts look like a moderate pain in the a$$ to install so hoping RR’s electric approach makes things much simpler.

Also which exhaust tips did you go with? I’m leaning towards the standard chrome but can’t get a firm answer as to how wide each exhaust tips external diameter is … don’t want the fart can look, and some photos make the tips look pretty big while some make them look fine.
Old 01-07-23, 07:58 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 499 Likes on 249 Posts

For future reference, if anybody lands on this thread,
The O2 sensor socket is a 22mm. Here's one from ARES:
ARES 70039-3/8-Inch Drive by 7/8-Inch (22mm) Offset Oxygen Sensor Socket https://amzn.to/3VTEflm
The following 2 users liked this post by specONE:
lexussingh (01-08-23), oopsDDS (08-11-23)
Old 01-08-23, 07:19 PM
lexussingh
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jororo
Any chance you can post a pic or two of the wiring diagram RR Racing provided for their exhaust?Curious as to the complexity/hassle myself. The vacuum-based valved exhausts look like a moderate pain in the a$$ to install so hoping RR’s electric approach makes things much simpler.

Also which exhaust tips did you go with? I’m leaning towards the standard chrome but can’t get a firm answer as to how wide each exhaust tips external diameter is … don’t want the fart can look, and some photos make the tips look pretty big while some make them look fine.
I got you fam,
So, in regards to the instructions, there are none.
As a part of this system, there are some generalized instructions that came from the cutout valve manufacturer. But, they are basically like: "connect red wire to hot and black wire to ground.". I wen't with the polished exhaust which IMO is bordering on too large but they still look pretty good. I think 3" - 3.5" would have been better. It took me 3 days to complete this install, taking my time and using jackstands instead of a lift. I decided to use an external 12V battery instead of splicing into wires. Even if there were instructions, I don't like the idea of cutting into wires on my car, but thats just me. Getting the wires into to the trunk or into the engine bay is fairly easy. The biggest issue I had was the compression pipe fittings. I really had to bend them to align them and ram them in to get them to fit. I would have gone with Borla instead of Flowmaster for the barrel mufflers. For me they are a bit unrefined and too loud. Overall though, at the moment, I'm happy. No engine codes and it sounds fairly good.

Having said all this I would buy the system again and I rate it 7.5/10

If wiring into the trunk, you can route your wires from the bottom drivers side of the trunk. There is a corrugated bundle of wires you can follow up into the trunk. Like in the pictures below. I included a bonus video clip :-)

Attached Files

Last edited by lexussingh; 01-08-23 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-08-23, 07:52 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Wow !!! Great info !!! Thank you so much for sharing.

Agreed the tips are bordering on too large but looks to work without being too much for most. Do think some of the exhaust manufacturers aren’t fully understanding their potential customer base, especially when it comes to sedan owners.

And you’re right, very interesting that they went with Flowmaster. Definitely a blast from the past. For me, I’m guessing that’s why I prefer the RR Racing sound … not as raspy as some of the options and reminds me of my first car (a 23yo rusty Firebird Formula 400 that immediately had two Flowmasters installed).

Interesting that RR didn’t provide more guidance - smart thinking going with the external 12V wiring. Better safe than sorry.

Overall great work getting through all the hurdles. Can’t imagine the happiness this Jekyll & Hyde exhaust is going to bring you. Very jealous.