IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-23, 09:23 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by SonicRob99
Let’s say you owe $7,500 in federal taxes based on your adjusted income. And in your example, you had perfectly matched this and had $7,500 withheld from payroll or other estimated payments. You’ll owe $0 when you file because you made those payments throughout the year in some form or another.

Generally, any refund pertaining to credits are based on type. A non-refundable credit, such as the EV one being discussed, will give you no additional benefit and is basically lost in the above example. A refundable credit, such as a child tax credit, would be paid to you regardless of any remaining tax liability (final tax bill) in the form of a tax refund.

To take full advantage of any non-refundable credit, you would want to take steps to estimate your taxes early on, and adjust as needed. This may be as simple as reducing your payroll witholding. But it can get very complicated, due to income caps and other unique factors. Basically, consult a tax professional before doing anything with large credits to maximize the benefit or avoid misinterpreting eligibility and owing as a result.

I hope this is helpful or that I’m somewhat accurate, someone please stop me if not!
So I was right the first time? So it is unfair. Doesn't seem right...

There are penalties for not paying enough taxes throughout the year. So you potentially pay the penalty but get a $7500 credit. Makes no sense.

EDIT: It appears you're also wrong about this as I was the first time. This thread on reddit captures exactly what I was wondering. It seems like even if you paid taxes throughout the year, the $7500 will be refunded if you paid $7500 or more in taxes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rav4prime/c...00_tax_credit/

Last edited by macmaster; 01-13-23 at 09:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SonicRob99 (01-13-23)
Old 01-13-23, 09:50 AM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster

There are penalties for not paying enough taxes throughout the year. So you potentially pay the penalty but get a $7500 credit. Makes no sense.

EDIT: It appears you're also wrong about this as I was the first time. This thread on reddit captures exactly what I was wondering. It seems like even if you paid taxes throughout the year, the $7500 will be refunded if you paid $7500 or more in taxes.

im not sure. I just talked to my uncle who bought a Mach E he didn’t apply for rebate since he didn’t owe any taxes with advice his from his consultant that he needed to pay taxes lump sum at EOY to apply. That could have changed tho this was in 2020.
Old 01-13-23, 10:04 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
That partially explains how they leapfrogged BMW on sales this year.

Depreciation does seem to have ramped up on my IS 350. I was able to break even on a sale or trade until recently. But, that's also because the car market is (slowly) stabilizing as chip shortage issues get resolved and demand has gone down.
There are reports that TSMC is cutting prices of cutting edge chips because orders have dropped so much. They're not the same chips in cars, but I would imagine it will help improve car production, increase supply, and also increase depreciation.

I agree with the other post that this is a rare car made for a niche customer and will have to sell private party for full value. We will probably get raked over the coals on a trade in.
Old 01-13-23, 11:04 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vpar23
im not sure. I just talked to my uncle who bought a Mach E he didn’t apply for rebate since he didn’t owe any taxes with advice his from his consultant that he needed to pay taxes lump sum at EOY to apply. That could have changed tho this was in 2020.
You said rebate. I'm assuming you meant credit. Remember they mean very different things as I just learned this morning lol.

"owe any taxes" - this is the phrase of confusion. If he had a W2 job like most people and paid income tax then he "owed taxes" regardless if he paid them throughout the year or at the end of the year. In either case he should've applied for the credit since he'd get the money from the taxes back.
Old 01-13-23, 11:05 AM
Racer00J
Intermediate

Received 264 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonman89
I was looking at a traded 2022 Model Y Performance (egg car) with a friend recently. Was a similar story of poor build quality and poor customer service that made the previous owner trade it in. I believe the guy has a Nissan Armada now.
Old 01-13-23, 11:51 AM
ScytheDC
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonman89
So one guy trading a Tesla for a Chrysler… means? I can’t think that person’s choice was well informed either going into a Chrysler 300.
Old 01-13-23, 12:01 PM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

You said rebate. I'm assuming you meant credit. Remember they mean very different things as I just learned this morning lol.

"owe any taxes" - this is the phrase of confusion. If he had a W2 job like most people and paid income tax then he "owed taxes" regardless if he paid them throughout the year or at the end of the year. In either case he should've applied for the credit since he'd get the money from the taxes back.
he didn’t apply because on his w2 he didn’t put down 0 and paid taxes per paycheck like what most people do. This is anecdotal and may not be what you saw online, but he is a VA MD and what his tax consultant advised at the Time in 2020. If he hadn’t paid his taxes out of his paychecks, he would have been eligible.

Many dealers who offer this 7500 whatever give you the money at the beginning and they deal with the IRS
Old 01-13-23, 12:30 PM
SonicRob99
Pit Crew

Received 428 Likes on 126 Posts

Gotcha, thanks for sharing that link. That is confusing! Good thing I only believe in buying gas guzzling V8’s and I’ll never have to be concerned with this EV credit thing! Haha
The following 2 users liked this post by SonicRob99:
macmaster (01-13-23), wthrman2 (01-13-23)
Old 01-13-23, 02:28 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 749 Likes on 268 Posts

Honestly feels like Teslas and perhaps other EVs will go the way of iPhones … everyone wants the latest version with the newest tech and the 3-4yo ones really lose their value.

Obviously a Tesla won’t be worthless but betting depreciation on Teslas in particular will drop faster than ICE vehicles (and maybe even other EVs) as those of a particular political leaning are starting to refuse to buy any products associated with Elon Musk and other manufactures will continue to get better & better at making EV products on par or better than Teslas.
Carolina50 (01-13-23)
Old 01-13-23, 02:48 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jororo
Honestly feels like Teslas and perhaps other EVs will go the way of iPhones … everyone wants the latest version with the newest tech and the 3-4yo ones really lose their value.

Obviously a Tesla won’t be worthless but betting depreciation on Teslas in particular will drop faster than ICE vehicles (and maybe even other EVs) as those of a particular political leaning are starting to refuse to buy any products associated with Elon Musk and other manufactures will continue to get better & better at making EV products on par or better than Teslas.
The Musk/Tesla situation is a strange modern day paradox. Conservatives like Musk and hate EVs, but liberals like EVs and hate Musk. Haha. I don't care for either.
jororo (01-15-23)