IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Iridium or Atomic Silver? Persuade me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-23, 01:21 PM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Iridium or Atomic Silver? Persuade me.

I think both colors look great, but I noticed the Atomic Silver can look "typical" or very similar to other silver luxury cars in certain lighting (older Mercedes S and E class vibes)
I haven't been able to look at these in person side by side just separately so it's a tough decision. I've seen a few mentions of the Atomic Silver having the most coats so it would be less prone to chips and scratches to an small extent which is great. As for Iridium I like the matte-like tone it has that reminds me of melted silver and is not as shiny as the Atomic. What do you guys think? Any replies or posts of your IS 500 in either color would also be much appreciated and helpful.

Thanks.
Old 01-26-23, 01:32 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I don't think it matters because I think you're never going to get the car, felixcat. Lol.
The following users liked this post:
Kanpai (01-27-23)
Old 01-26-23, 01:55 PM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by macmaster
I don't think it matters because I think you're never going to get the car, felixcat. Lol.
I am! I'm on a waitlist and a friend of ours has connections with HQ so hopefully it will expedite the process or put us a little further up the list. I'm really hoping by at least April I'll be in one.
Old 01-26-23, 02:03 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by albertcado
I am! I'm on a waitlist and a friend of ours has connections with HQ so hopefully it will expedite the process or put us a little further up the list. I'm really hoping by at least April I'll be in one.
Hmmmmmmmm. It's awfully suspicious though. You're account opened around the time he was banned, you post all these random questions about the car, you keep saying you're going to get the car later when there are plenty available right now, oh and then there's that one time you dotingly linked felixcat's website.

But in case I'm wrong (because I am a couple times a year), I think either color is good. Iridium = blue. Atomic = gold. Pick whichever hue you like more.

Last edited by macmaster; 01-26-23 at 02:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by macmaster:
Kanpai (01-27-23), wthrman2 (01-26-23)
Old 01-26-23, 02:05 PM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Hmmmmmmmm. Well in case I'm wrong (because I've been told that happens a couple times a year), I think either color is good. Iridium = blue. Atomic = gold. Pick whichever hue you like more.
You've been told what happens a couple times a year?
Old 01-26-23, 03:47 PM
MYIS500
Intermediate

Received 367 Likes on 169 Posts

I had Iridium as my number 1 because I liked the chrome look. There is nothing mate about it. When I went to the dealership to check on status, I saw the entire color line save the USB. The first car to catch my eye was the atomic silver. It was parked right next to an iridium. I remember thinking, oh man the atomic looks better then the iridium. I did not want that to happen, but it is what it is. Walked around all the cars 350's representing the line and just fell over for the atomic silver. It is the number two all time choice behind pearl white. I go back inside to check the books for the 500 status. They tell me one is coming in atomic/red. I threw the card down and it spun on the desk. Said let's do it. All the colors look good. I love mine. The only reason I would move on from it is if some really cool option became available or some really cool color was offered. like copper crest, amethyst, or the midnight mica or whatever it is called. You cant go wrong. I was headstrong on iridium. Saw them side by side and atomic won for me hands down!

Last edited by MYIS500; 01-26-23 at 04:18 PM.
albertcado (01-26-23)
Old 01-26-23, 04:10 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 944 Likes on 437 Posts

I had Silver Lining Metallic on my 2018 IS 350 which is almost like Atomic Silver on my Supra. Silver is a good color. Iridium looks good on pictures but I have not been able to see it yet in person and see the difference. It looks brighter on the Lexus webpage than Atomic Silver.
Old 01-26-23, 04:20 PM
MYIS500
Intermediate

Received 367 Likes on 169 Posts

Iridium is brighter, much brighter. Side by side is the best comparison. Albertcado! What i would do is shop used lexus' (any model) in your area in both colors. Go see them and you will know what to do.
albertcado (01-26-23)
Old 01-26-23, 04:29 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 944 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by MYIS500
Iridium is brighter, much brighter. Side by side is the best comparison. Albertcado! What i would do is shop used lexus' (any model) in your area in both colors. Go see them and you will know what to do.
I would agree, see the color on any current Lexus and you will have a good idea on what you prefer. I fell in love with Infrared on the LC 500 and Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 on the other F cars so I was pretty much set.

I do agree you can't go wrong either way.
albertcado (01-26-23)
Old 01-26-23, 04:34 PM
albertcado
Pit Crew

Hmmmmmmmm. It's awfully suspicious though. You're account opened around the time he was banned, you post all these random questions about the car, you keep saying you're going to get the car later when there are plenty available right now, oh and then there's that one time you dotingly linked felixcat's website.

But in case I'm wrong (because I am a couple times a year), I think either color is good. Iridium = blue. Atomic = gold. Pick whichever hue you like more.
Thanks for your input. I am very confused as to who this felixcat is. I linked a website that discussed the panel gap issue and what could be causing it because I'm concerned of running into it on a 2023 model. The mechanical explanation for possible causes of the driver side panel gap read pretty well explained to me. That link was just a result of my own research and feedback from other IS 500 owners on reddit and such so I thought others may find it an interesting read. I've never owned a Lexus but I decided to get on this forum to gain helpful knowledge and feedback on a vehicle I'm set on getting this year. I've already had my shortblock replaced on my current V8 at only 14k miles so I have very high expectations for a 70k Lexus and I'm hoping the IS 500 will be near perfect. I especially don't want to deal with a major panel gap on the car. You are right about IS 500's being available now and I'm doing my due diligence in communicating with multiple dealerships, local and far. Unfortunately these are either not in the color/interior I want or more than 4 hours away or it's with a 5-10k mark up which I'm not settling for.
Old 01-26-23, 05:05 PM
TGPCanada
Advanced

Received 833 Likes on 346 Posts

Aggh, the agonizing stress over which colour to pick. We don't want to get it wrong. LOL. After going through this for more than a year all I can say
is that this IS vehicle, with its menacing look and sculpted body lines look absolutely fantastic in any colour. Go with your gut. Both Iridium and atomic look great. I can't
foresee you picking one and then banging your head against the wall after the fact saying you should have gotten the other one. Not with these 2 colour choices.
Sorry, I know this wasn't much help.

And just watch, next year they will announce that the 500 will come in Nori green pearl and a few other, new Lexus masterpiece colours. Always happens.
They would want nothing more than for all of us to continuously trade in our 500's on a yearly basis !! LOL.

Just get it now and enjoy.
The following 2 users liked this post by TGPCanada:
albertcado (01-26-23), arentz07 (01-27-23)
Old 01-26-23, 07:48 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Here’s some food for thought- atomic silver is several coats more than other colors to achieve that silver/beige color that depends on the lighting. Don’t think of it as being more durable, think of it as harder to paint match of the unfortunate ever happens. I think it’s a beautiful color but the seven? layers makes me cautious haha.
GoHorns (01-27-23)
Old 01-27-23, 07:30 AM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 53 Posts

Personally I think Iridium pops more. I myself am deciding on White or Iridium (or whichever ones becomes available first in my area).
Old 01-27-23, 09:23 AM
Renault
Intermediate

Received 284 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Phresh2010
Personally I think Iridium pops more. I myself am deciding on White or Iridium (or whichever ones becomes available first in my area).
Agreed, I think the body lines are accentuated the most by iridium out of any color. It looks super slick.
Old 01-27-23, 09:40 AM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

Iridium contrast with black rims and black tint + ease to maintain.

Quick Reply: Iridium or Atomic Silver? Persuade me.