IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

RC F Exhaust on IS 500!! Invidia Full Cat Back

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-23, 01:11 PM
Civib2
10th Gear

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RC F Exhaust on IS 500!! Invidia Full Cat Back

Hi Folks!

I finally caved and created an account after lurking on clublexus for quite some time (previously owned a GS F, now proud owner of a MP IS 500). This if my first post and I hope you all enjoy. I have wonderful news! I have managed to fit the Invidia Q300 full cat back exhaust from the RC F to the IS 500 with a very small adapter to make it work. All you need to do is extend the mid-pipe by about 3" and the rest lines up perfectly. The Invidia lends itself to this perfectly because it has a break in the mid-pipe that is perfectly straight.

Here is the parts list of what you will need to make the RC F Invidia work on your IS 500

1. (Qty 1) Invidia Q300 Cat Back for the RC F
2. (Qty 2) 3" flanged extensions (
Amazon Amazon
)
3. (Qty 4) Additional Gaskets I used Remflex(mfg) part number 8070 for both sides of the extension and did not utilize the Invidia gaskets
4. (Qty 8) Additional bolts/nuts (
Amazon Amazon
)
5. (Qty 2) (Recommended) After having exhaust gasket issues on my GS F after installing the RR exhaust I found the best solution was also to utilize a Remflex gasket part number "8019" for the front pipe to header connection.

The Invidia mid-pipe at the point the adapter is installed is actually 2.75". I could not find a pre-made extension in that size so had to settle with a 2.5" but it will work just fine (especially if you've seen the factory pinch points in the stock exhaust, i'm not worried about it. I'm sure you could have a fab shop make you a perfectly sized 2.75" extension but I am doing this for the sound not the performance which I doubt really suffers.

Sound...is phenomenal and just listen to all the RC F clips on youtube its the same. It's the perfect "should have came like this from factory" sound.

Issues:

2 issues that I actually don't think will be issues and will continue to monitor and keep you all informed.

1. Where the adapter flange towards the back sits it does sit against the heatshield between the exhaust and driveshaft. It's touching it enough making constant contact and light pressure that I don't think I will ever get a rattle but I will keep an eye on it. It won't damage the heatshield and if need be I may just make some small indents in the heat shield to clearance it but I don't think i'll even need to do that.

2. The Invidia tips look perfect but they are VERY close to the top of the bumper. Meaning the top tip has a bout a nickel gap to the bumper. It's not touching but I am a little concerned about heat and causing some heat stress cracks in the bumper paint. I could just swap out the rubber isolators with a bit longer ones to drop the rear mufflers down a bit. But I really like how nicely and perfectly tucked up they are so i'm going to keep an eye on it and see if it becomes an issue.

Other than that everything else fits like a glove! No issues or interference even with the underbody support brace.

I'm sure you guys will have questions and I will do my best to get back on here and answer them as they come in but bear with me. I have a 1yr old and a 4yr old that DEMAND all of my time....

Hope this helps someone as I was trying to figure out the answer to this question prior to buying the IS 500!!

Cheers!

UPDATE 1:
I did end up switching the rear rubber exhaust isolators to these ones from amazon
Amazon Amazon
these were about 1/4" longer and now its a perfect fit for the rear section.

UPDATE 2:
Well turns out I finally started to get a tiny bit a noise from the contact between the extension pipe flange and the heat shield as I noted above. This started about 1,500 miles after install. I went under and took a look. Basically the constant contact with the driveshaft heatshield just started making its own clearance from rubbing. I simply just pushed the heatshield up a bit more to make sure no contact was happening and all is well again. So if you do this install make sure to clearance some space where I mentioned and showed above in the picture. Not difficult as that heatshield is very flexible. Just be careful not to do it too much so it does not interfere with the driveshaft. Do this while you do the install, I should have but was just being lazy

Last edited by Civib2; 04-21-23 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Update
The following 8 users liked this post by Civib2:
arentz07 (01-27-23), chartram (03-08-24), DerrtyBird (03-02-23), Dtrinh9 (01-27-23), Grecian5 (01-27-23), LA20671 (01-27-23), MoltenDebt (01-30-23), MYIS500 (01-27-23) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-27-23, 01:16 PM
Bechtold
Advanced

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

Looks interesting. How does it sound?
Old 01-27-23, 01:20 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 499 Likes on 249 Posts

Nice, looks good.
Some thoughts going on in my head. There is chance that maybe you can use the rear RCF Axle back and your standard IS350 Midpipe (if it was 2.75") and the two would bolt on together for seamless without any extending. Just taking an educated guess that it may fit, don't know if anybody has attempted such a configuration.
Old 01-27-23, 01:31 PM
Civib2
10th Gear

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds awesome! It builds in noise as you go up the RPM and with no drone down low which was very important to me. It's the perfect blend in my subjective opinion. I had the RR Bazooka on my GS F and although it sounded great at WOT it droned way too much for my liking.
Old 01-27-23, 01:47 PM
TrollingBC
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No sound clip? Doesn’t count.
Old 01-27-23, 01:49 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 831 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
Nice, looks good.
Some thoughts going on in my head. There is chance that maybe you can use the rear RCF Axle back and your standard IS350 Midpipe (if it was 2.75") and the two would bolt on together for seamless without any extending. Just taking an educated guess that it may fit, don't know if anybody has attempted such a configuration.
That's exactly what I was thinking.. at first it was said the muffler hangers placement was a bit different on the 500, but according to this, it does looks like they are the same... So yeah, an RC-F axleback should fit...
Old 01-27-23, 03:09 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,311 Likes on 672 Posts

What a great way to join Club Lexus! Nice work!

If this one fits I wonder if others will fit as well. Having an extra 3" in the mid-pipe (wink wink) seems like an easy solution for a manufacturer to implement. Maybe we will have more exhaust options in the future!
The following 2 users liked this post by 95bat:
jororo (01-27-23), MYIS500 (01-28-23)
Old 01-30-23, 09:39 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 363 Likes on 211 Posts

Nice, looks good.
That's what I was wondering. I have the apexi mid pipe and if the invidia axle back can mate w/ it, that may be my future set up if nothing else comes out. still hoping for toms
Old 02-08-23, 11:08 AM
UWIS500
6th Gear

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cp2
That's what I was wondering. I have the apexi mid pipe and if the invidia axle back can mate w/ it, that may be my future set up if nothing else comes out. still hoping for toms
Same here, waiting for the toms as well. Although if this exhaust fits on the IS500, the tom's RCF exhaust should also fit with some extensions as well?
Old 02-21-23, 03:12 PM
mleroux
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice, looks good.
The IS350 midpipe is 3” longer in length compared to the IS500’s midpipe?
Old 02-21-23, 03:14 PM
Answer
Instructor

Originally Posted by mleroux
The IS350 midpipe is 3” longer in length compared to the IS500’s midpipe?
IS500 is longer than RC-F midpipe, not 350
Old 02-21-23, 05:07 PM
mleroux
Rookie

Ah I understand now. From what I gather on other threads, the RCF and GSF axelbacks are potentially interchangeable with the IS500?
Old 02-21-23, 05:12 PM
mleroux
Rookie

Correction: Hangers are not quite in the right place for a visually correct fitment with rear facia.
Old 02-21-23, 05:24 PM
Answer
Instructor

Originally Posted by mleroux
Correction: Hangers are not quite in the right place for a visually correct fitment with rear facia.
From the info I also gathered, the pipes are the same, but hangers placement might not be optimal. OP in this thread has the RFC axleback on his 500 and it's really close to a perfect fit. I'm really tempted to buy just an axleback and make it work. I don't want a full catback, just a lil bit more V8 noise!
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (02-22-23)
Old 02-22-23, 05:58 AM
wheresjc
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Civib2
Sounds awesome! It builds in noise as you go up the RPM and with no drone down low which was very important to me. It's the perfect blend in my subjective opinion. I had the RR Bazooka on my GS F and although it sounded great at WOT it droned way too much for my liking.
Would it drone with valves open / closed? or both? I've had the Invidia catback on my RCF and Varex on my ISF and those two exhausts are virtually drone free. I have a GSF now and was looking at the Bazooka exhaust but keep seeing mixed reviews on the drone.

Quick Reply: RC F Exhaust on IS 500!! Invidia Full Cat Back