IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Missing for "Full IS-F"

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-23, 07:15 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by HerraFrush
If the is500 is already a v8. Engine should have more power that rivals the g80 m3. Supercharger? Or v6 turbo? Definitely bigger brakes and more aerodynamics
I'm with you! If I'm building a make believe IS-F I'd want forced induction on the V8. This car is already a high RPM screamer, some low end torque from a PD blower or turbos would compliment it well.
Old 02-04-23, 07:58 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I've always thought the IS 500 was a nice package. You get more power and slightly better brakes than the 350, but in a very comfortable overall car that isn't going to cost much to keep running. An F would have bigger brakes (calipers and rotors would be larger), stiffer suspension, wider tires, etc. If I am not tracking the car, maybe the benefits of those things are marginal in public-road driving.
The following 4 users liked this post by arentz07:
Answer (02-04-23), Carolina50 (02-04-23), DLPTony (02-04-23), wthrman2 (02-04-23)
Old 02-04-23, 09:51 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

It's easy enough to get wider tires for the IS500 and you don't need to go full BBK for better braking performance. All of this is moot for a primarily street driven car. Nobody is legitimately reaching the limits of the car on public roads such that they need upgrades.
Old 02-04-23, 10:13 AM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
It's easy enough to get wider tires for the IS500 and you don't need to go full BBK for better braking performance. All of this is moot for a primarily street driven car. Nobody is legitimately reaching the limits of the car on public roads such that they need upgrades.
In a straight line, brakes and horsepower are not hard to reach the limits. You literally push a pedal down hard lol. Now brakes, horsepower, and corners together I'd agree with you.
Old 02-04-23, 10:25 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

If you're hitting the limits on public roads often enough that you need an upgrade, it's probably the driver not the car.
Old 02-04-23, 12:19 PM
95bat
Racer

If you're hitting the limits on public roads often enough that you need an upgrade, it's probably the driver not the car.
Nobody is reaching the limits, or nobody is reaching them often enough, which is it?

First statement is wrong, second is a passive aggressive insult. Either way, your negativity is dragging down ANOTHER thread.
Old 02-04-23, 12:39 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95bat
Nobody is reaching the limits, or nobody is reaching them often enough, which is it?

First statement is wrong, second is a passive aggressive insult. Either way, your negativity is dragging down ANOTHER thread.
It's both, man. Nobody is legitimately hitting the limits of what the IS500 can do on public roads. If anybody is getting close or thinks that they are, they should lose their license. Occasionally getting the back end out or slamming the gas pedal isn't hitting the limits of the car.

That doesn't mean that modding is a bad idea or anything like that so I don't see how my comments are negative or an insult unless you're one of the people who should lose their license and are thus taking my comments personally. If you're scorching your brakes on public roads such that you feel you need larger brakes, you're driving like a crazy person. Notice the word need there, man, not want.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (02-04-23)
Old 02-04-23, 12:54 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 749 Likes on 268 Posts

It's both, man. Nobody is legitimately hitting the limits of what the IS500 can do on public roads. If anybody is getting close or thinks that they are, they should lose their license. Occasionally getting the back end out or slamming the gas pedal isn't hitting the limits of the car.

That doesn't mean that modding is a bad idea or anything like that so I don't see how my comments are negative or an insult unless you're one of the people who should lose their license and are thus taking my comments personally. If you're scorching your brakes on public roads such that you feel you need larger brakes, you're driving like a crazy person. Notice the word need there, man, not want.
On my ‘22 IS500 I easily reached the limits of the brakes on windy public roads multiple times. On one occasion we were following an F-150 King Ranch up a mountain road when the brakes started fading heavily, so wasn’t exactly turning things up to 11.

The brakes are the one area Lexus should’ve passed along a slightly higher MSRP in order to bring some more safety and confidence to the package during spirited driving.
Old 02-04-23, 12:56 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

That sounds like a user problem or actual defect if your car is being beat by a truck.
Old 02-04-23, 01:50 PM
jororo
Intermediate

Received 749 Likes on 268 Posts

That sounds like a user problem or actual defect if your car is being beat by a truck.
Jeez man. Might be worth choosing to read first prior to diving headfirst into baseless attack mode.

Simply pointing out that the IS500s brakes were fading heavily while stuck behind an F-150 that refused to turn out going up, not down, a winding mountain road. Even my GX doesn’t have fading brakes on the same road at similar pace (granted, it has Brembo solid disc rotors and higher end Akebono pads, but still).

And having had both a ‘22 and ‘23 IS500, I can unequivocally confirm that the brakes are under spec’d on this car … unless of course both my 500s have the same mystery defect that so many other users and reviewers have also experienced and quickly diagnosed. Oh, sorry, they might be suffering from the same unfounded ‘user problems’ too haha.
Old 02-04-23, 01:54 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Originally Posted by jororo
Jeez man. Might be worth choosing to read first prior to diving headfirst into baseless attack mode.

Simply pointing out that the IS500s brakes were fading heavily while stuck behind an F-150 that refused to turn out going up, not down, a winding mountain road. Even my GX doesn’t have fading brakes on the same road at similar pace (granted, it has Brembo solid disc rotors and higher end Akebono pads, but still).

And having had both a ‘22 and ‘23 IS500, I can unequivocally confirm that the brakes are under spec’d on this car … unless of course both my 500s have the same mystery defect that so many other users and reviewers have also experienced and quickly diagnosed. Oh, sorry, they might be suffering from the same unfounded ‘user problems’ too haha.
Mate, that just makes me that much more suspicious if you had brake fade going up a hill, not down.

This car does not have underspeced brakes. They're right on par with its weight and power output. If people genuinely believe that Lexus did so little testing that they put on the wrong size brakes, so be it. I think it's user error given we've also had owners warp multiple sets of rotors while blaming the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by AmbyBomb:
Carolina50 (02-04-23), Highgrade (02-04-23)
Old 02-04-23, 09:25 PM
HerraFrush
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

No. The M3 is in a totally different league than the IS500.

Edit: Totally misread the post. I agree, a true F should have a different engine that is more modern.
Originally Posted by 95bat
I'm with you! If I'm building a make believe IS-F I'd want forced induction on the V8. This car is already a high RPM screamer, some low end torque from a PD blower or turbos would compliment it well.
it could happen. I have a friend that works for Lexus corporate and they are saying they are really trying to embody the “F” this time around. I hope that really means standing up to the M once and for all.
Old 02-04-23, 09:29 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

it could happen. I have a friend that works for Lexus corporate and they are saying they are really trying to embody the “F” this time around. I hope that really means standing up to the M once and for all.
It's only taken 15 years.
Old 02-04-23, 09:40 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

I hope Lexus doesn't chase BMW and M-like performance. What they've done with the IS500 is unique; it's a legitimate GT car that is affordable. What I dislike about M cars and AMGs is that they go too far towards the "racekar" crowd at the cost of daily usability. A bit more power, a better transmission and perhaps AWD with the same softer suspension would be great.
Old 02-04-23, 10:08 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,048 Posts

I'll believe it when I see it. They seem not committed to F as far as I can tell. Has anyone noticed Lexus has never fully redesigned an F car? Think about that....

Quick Reply: Missing for "Full IS-F"