IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Missing for "Full IS-F"

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-23, 10:22 PM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 921 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by macmaster
I'll believe it when I see it. They seem not committed to F as far as I can tell. Has anyone noticed Lexus has never fully redesigned an F car? Think about that....
On the IS F they continuously tweaked and improved it. Sure it never got more power but if got a torsen rear diff, suspension upgrades, etc. that helped it get faster and ride better. The GS F, they did almost nothing, barely any tweaking. The RC F's biggest (only?) change was getting the track edition and some slight improvements (5hp) but otherwise not much else. In all of these cars I don't count upgrading nav systems, stereo, etc. because that tends to tie in more with Lexus infotainment upgrades across platforms than anything else.

I would tend to be more believe it when I see it also. I personally think that Toyota / Lexus new products point to a hybrid product line for the near future as they have planned. So sweet V8 engines or twin turbos don't seem like they will have much of a future here. I would love to be wrong. Remember the Twin-Turbo V8 that was going to be in the LC F? Yeah it was a nice pipe dream / rumor. I might have considered parting with the Supra for that car.

Last edited by Bechtold; 02-04-23 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-05-23, 06:29 AM
TGPCanada
Intermediate

Received 800 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by AmbyBomb
I hope Lexus doesn't chase BMW and M-like performance. What they've done with the IS500 is unique; it's a legitimate GT car that is affordable. What I dislike about M cars and AMGs is that they go too far towards the "racekar" crowd at the cost of daily usability. A bit more power, a better transmission and perhaps AWD with the same softer suspension would be great.
I think the IS500 is ideal just the way it is - a very well built, comfortable, affordable, daily work/kids to school/grocery getter that looks attractive and has a grossly disproportionate amount of power compared to the masses that it rewards those who enjoy the act of driving (most don't). Niche market for this kind of car. I for one have no intentions of modding this car and will leave it just the way it is. Maybe I'll buy a used Dodge Viper to satisfy the inner racer in me should I want push the boundaries.
Old 02-05-23, 11:42 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Bechtold
On the IS F they continuously tweaked and improved it. Sure it never got more power but if got a torsen rear diff, suspension upgrades, etc. that helped it get faster and ride better. The GS F, they did almost nothing, barely any tweaking. The RC F's biggest (only?) change was getting the track edition and some slight improvements (5hp) but otherwise not much else. In all of these cars I don't count upgrading nav systems, stereo, etc. because that tends to tie in more with Lexus infotainment upgrades across platforms than anything else.

I would tend to be more believe it when I see it also. I personally think that Toyota / Lexus new products point to a hybrid product line for the near future as they have planned. So sweet V8 engines or twin turbos don't seem like they will have much of a future here. I would love to be wrong. Remember the Twin-Turbo V8 that was going to be in the LC F? Yeah it was a nice pipe dream / rumor. I might have considered parting with the Supra for that car.
Try this: https://lexusenthusiast.com/2022/02/...r-gt3-concept/

Definitely seems like the next-gen F cars will have motorsports influence based on the fact that they are starting with motorsports this time, rather than starting with the street car.
Old 02-05-23, 11:53 AM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Try this: https://lexusenthusiast.com/2022/02/...r-gt3-concept/

Definitely seems like the next-gen F cars will have motorsports influence based on the fact that they are starting with motorsports this time, rather than starting with the street car.
I think that should be taken with a big grain of salt since that talk is before the bean counters at Lexus get involved.
Old 02-05-23, 11:59 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I think that should be taken with a big grain of salt since that talk is before the bean counters at Lexus get involved.
I think the fact that they made an official statement is interesting. Of course, that doesn't mean anything until the car is released, but it does show an interesting thought shift from the company.

Either way, the IS 500 is not an "F" and isn't meant to be an M or AMG competitor.
Old 02-05-23, 01:57 PM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I think the fact that they made an official statement is interesting. Of course, that doesn't mean anything until the car is released, but it does show an interesting thought shift from the company.

Either way, the IS 500 is not an "F" and isn't meant to be an M or AMG competitor.

do you think I would be one of those guys trying to be an M GUY in a Lexus if my license plate said “r8tedF”
Old 02-05-23, 01:58 PM
AmbyBomb
Instructor

Received 912 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by vpar23
do you think I would be one of those guys trying to be an M GUY in a Lexus if my license plate said “r8tedF”
I think that's like an M340i owner having a license plate that says "ItsAnM"
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (02-05-23)
Old 02-05-23, 02:02 PM
vpar23
Pit Crew

Received 142 Likes on 76 Posts

I think that's like an M340i owner having a license plate that says "ItsAnM"

**** that’s what I was afraid of! Looks like I’m not gonna get it.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (02-05-23)
Old 02-06-23, 01:23 AM
CyberNinja
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts

Probably overkill but, it would be nice if they dusted off and dropped that R36V 3.6L twin turbo V8 that was in the TS020 from Toyota’s 24hr LeMan GT1 racing series from decades back since the public never actually got to drive it (although a slightly de-tuned modern version of it of course). It made 672 HP if I’m not mistaken and redlines to I believe 8000? RPM.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, yes I know that there’s a difference between a racing engine and one designed for everyday road car use, but hear me out: supercharged C7 corvette stingrays make around those figures anyway. And also it would compete with the C7 at the price point too. So would it be crazy to imagine that if they were fantasizing with dropping that TT V8 into a ‘would-be’ LC-F (then eventually an IS-F) that they would use that engine? (And active aero of course)
Old 02-06-23, 06:37 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,329 Likes on 681 Posts

The CT5-V Blackwing is making 668 hp so I think 672 hp would be competitive for sure. If the Germans released real hp figures we would be seeing their cars are actually at this level of power too.

If Lexus ever did a turbo V8, or even a tuned up turbo V6...... I'm going to be reaaaaaal tempted to upgrade.
Old 02-06-23, 11:44 AM
IS500SM
Driver

Received 98 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the replies all! Seems like the 500 is good as it is and adding brakes and cooling (MAYBE suspension) would make it a good OEM+ product. I'm definitely not looking to make it an "M" or "RS" fighter as I'll be putting the E46M3 under the knife for a full build.

As an aside, it would be interesting if they took the current TTV6 and revised/tuned it for 525-550hp and an 8000rpm redline for the full F car.