IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

2010 IS350c Convertible Top Hat Switch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-23 | 06:14 PM
larrychery
Rookie

Default 2010 IS350c Convertible Top Hat Switch Problems

I've seen a few others post issues on here with the convertible top open/close hat switch but I wanted to ask and see if anyone has had my problem?

I bought the car and within the first week the top got stuck half shut and flashed OP SUSPENDED and stopped moving. I rocked the switch back and forth, panicking a bit and eventually after about 20 minutes of fiddling with the switch, it resumed the operation and fully shut/latched. No error codes. I reseated the wiring harness on the back of the switch for reassurances and went on my merry way. I initially bought a replacement switch but didn't replace it since it never re-occurred until...

Today I went to put the top down and the switch was non-responsive. I ignored it, went home, fiddled with it and it eventually opened and stopped. This time I pulled out my replacement switch and put the new one in. After replacing it the top resumed its open/close sequence, but got stuck again on close and just stopped with OP SUSPENDED and again, no error codes in techstream or anything else. I let go of the switch, re-pressed and it finished the closing sequence. It's not getting stuck at any one part of the sequence, it just acts like I stopped actuating the switch when I have not.

Is it possible that maybe the wiring harness is to blame at this point such as a loose wire or something? When I pulled the harness off, I inspected it closely and I didn't notice anything abnormal or broken. Clicks right into the new switch without a problem with a tiny bit of wiggle room. Again, no error codes and once it resumes the sequence it opens/closes without issues. There's a brand new switch installed now, OEM straight from Lexus, and it still spazzed out again right after I installed it.

Also, can anyone link me to the picture of the pinout of the wiring harness and what pins I need to short to open/close the top in an emergency? I plan on keeping a paperclip and a printout of the harness in my glovebox just in case of emergency if I get stuck somewhere and the switch refuses to cooperate. It's making me very nervous!

Thanks in advance everyone. Curious if anyone else experienced a wiring harness failure, or a bad switch (I've seen a few bad switch posts on here).
Old 06-16-23 | 06:31 PM
larrychery
Rookie

Following up to be a goody boy community member:

What I ended up doing is taking the wiring harness off of the new switch and VERY carefully bending one of the internal pins a SMALL amount. I noticed the harness had a tiny bit of "wiggle" in it and figured that might be causing the pins to disengage as the plastic flexes a bit when you hold the switch down. Once I pushed the harness back onto the hat switch this time, the tiny bit of "wiggle" that was in the harness before was no longer since the pin had to clip in a bit tighter due to the small bend I made. Again, be very careful bending the pin (doesn't matter which one, any will do) - it doesn't need much of a bend in order to cause the harness to clip more snugly.

Up and down a dozen+ times to test it at varying points during the week and I have not had it stall on me at all this time. Seemingly this fixed the harness issue. I'll report back if anything changes.
The following 4 users liked this post by larrychery:
c5abfe (06-21-23), DaveGS4 (06-16-23), fjinva (06-06-24), SeanO (06-24-23)