IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

Autoweek on Possible IS Coupe and Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-05, 06:58 AM
Lenscap
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autoweek on Possible IS Coupe and Convertible

Some updated news on the possibility of a future IS coupe, convertible and/or hybrid. It's not much but it's something.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102794

Variants likely for upcoming Lexus IS; coupe and convertible on wish list
MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News
Posted Date: 7/18/05
LOS ANGELES -- To field a strong BMW 3-series competitor, Toyota Motor Corp. is looking at a range of variants, such as a coupe, convertible and hybrid, for the redesigned Lexus IS 250 and IS 350, two sources say.

The company declines to confirm the plans. But Suguya Fukusato, chief engineer for the IS program, says that market demand requires variants in the future.

Fukusato says Lexus is evaluating a ragtop similar to the BMW 3 series, as well as a retractable hardtop. Fukusato says he would prefer a ragtop for the weight and space savings. He spoke at a media event here last week.

Bob Carter, general manager of Lexus Division, says an IS coupe and convertible are on the company's wish list. Carter says those variants are necessary because Lexus wants the IS lineup to compete with the BMW 3 series.

The redesigned 2006 IS sedans go on sale in October.

The IS platform architecture is shared with the GS sedans, making a hybrid variant possible as well.

The GS 450h hybrid sedan will arrive next spring, powered by a V-6 engine and two electric motors.

Fukusato says Toyota's current hybrids are too focused on fuel economy to work with a performance sedan.

"If we could make the hybrid sportier, then we could introduce a hybrid version. Every day we make progress," Fukusato says.

Another high-performance possibility: a rumored IS 460, powered by a V-8. Because the IS engine bay is almost identical to that of the GS, a V-8 could fit in the IS chassis.

But Fukusato noted that such a big engine would upset the front-rear weight bias, which is crucial to the handling of a sport sedan.

With a convertible, coupe, wagon and sedan, the BMW 3 series posted sales of 106,549 in the United States in 2004. The Lexus IS, with sedan and wagon, posted sales of 9,972 last year.
Old 07-18-05, 07:07 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm all for a regular 2 door coupe , but a ragtop ?
Those that really want a light weight sports coupe would prefer a regular hardtop coupe anyway. A hardtop convertible is the way to go IMO, that targa-convertible retractable hardtop mechaism is really cool in the LF-C concept.
Old 07-18-05, 08:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

I like the idea of a coupe more than a hardtop/ragtop to be honest.

https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/...iew/2474/1/10/
Old 07-18-05, 08:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

They should make a regular 2 door coupe(which I would be interested in), & a hardtop convertible a la LF-C concept.
Old 07-18-05, 09:24 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, what happened to the LF-C concept? I was so looking forward to seeing Lexus realize the awesome concept in form of an IS convertible!

That said, it's still good to see some confirmation of the many more variants of the new IS to come.
Old 07-18-05, 10:11 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I seriously doubt Toyota will release a ragtop version (versus a retractable hardtop). Convertible tops are far too noisy to be Lexus-esque imo.
Old 07-18-05, 11:13 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I seriously doubt Toyota will release a ragtop version (versus a retractable hardtop). Convertible tops are far too noisy to be Lexus-esque imo.
Perhaps the hardtop convertible design will be reserved for the next SC. They want some good distinction between the IS convertible and the SC I guess. The IS focuses on performance while the SC remains a luxury grand tourer.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 07-18-05 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-18-05, 12:34 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Perhaps the hardtop convertible design will be reserved for the next SC. They want some good distintinction between the IS convertible and the SC I guess. The IS focuses on performance while the SC remains a luxury grand tourer.
Yes, but if MB can have 2 hardtop convertibles in the SL & SLK, so can Lexus. Even the new SLK is quite a bit sportier than the old SLK, so I don' t see why a IS350 convertible can't be a good balance between performance & style. Those that want a more hard core performance car will likely opt for a lighter regular coupe instead of any convertible anyway.