IS C Discussion about the convertible IS C model

ISC Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-20, 01:44 AM
SlenderKen
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The car should come with a staggered setup (that means the front width does not match the rear). This means we cannot rotate tires and therefore tires wear out much quicker. This is especially annoying for a daily commuter, but I have found ways to increase duration of tires.

How I extended the lifespan of my tires:
Firstly, I am currently on the 19" F-Sport Spider Wheels, which was designed for the IS350C F-Sport Limited Edition, so my tire options may be different (since 19" is such an uncommon wheel diameter).
Off the top of my head, my setup is 225/35/R19 and 255/35/R19.
I use Nitto Motivos, which are rated around 60,000 miles, but I get about 30,000 since I cannot rotate tires.
I have tried Hankook V12s, which are fun, but wear rather quickly. I also tried Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which are incredible tires, but expensive to use as a daily and wear really quickly.

Secondly, to reduce tire wear, I purchased poly bushings.
Lexus cars have a lot of natural toe due to the design of the suspension, which means the tire will wear on the inside during acceleration and braking due to the soft lower control arm (LCA) bushing. The original material is rubber, but the aftermarket companies that make it use polyurethane, which is basically a hard plastic. The harder the plastic, the more stiff the ride will be, but at the same time, there will be less toe and more responsiveness towards steering. I got mine so I can have more spirited drives, but the toe reduction on acceleration/braking is a plus.
Two companies that I know of sell LCA Bushings, and both of them have their ups and downs:
1. Figs Racing - they sell the bushing alone or can sell the bushing with the housing (housing is the same size as original housing). They also offer different types of hardness for the plastic.
2. RR Racing - they sell the bushing with their in-house made housing. This means that the bushing is beefier, but doesn't necessarily make it better for normal street use.

In a nutshell:
1. Get economic tires. If you're not planning on taking the car to the track, no need for performance and "squishy" tires.
2. Get LCA Bushings. They may seem somewhat expensive (~$300-$500), but they pay for themselves over time since they reduce front tire wear and allow for more responsive driving.

If you would like to see any pictures or videos, please let me know and I can post it, or check out my IG @ischillin.
Old 10-28-20, 05:12 PM
KonaRX
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+. I put them on my RX350 and it became the quiet luxury ride Lexus it always was inside. I put a set from Costco on my 2011 ISC from the stock (sorry, can’t recall what they were). The car is noticeable quieter, rides way smoother, and handles better. Watch for Costco sales on Michelin tires. While you don’t get the benefit of free rotation and balance as our cars are staggered, the price is awesome.
Have 8k miles on mine and really love them on the freeway at over 80mph (on a closed track of course :-)) and around town, they are very comfortable and most of all, quiet. In a panic stop when I thought I was done for, the tires held shorter than the stock ones that only had 11k when I chucked them.